Giblert Melendez, are you excited for him to comeback and when does he comeback?

ive always been a fan of melendez and his fight style, and have pegged him as a truly elite LW for a long time. his positive test is extremely disappointing though. can't say ill ever cheer for the guy again.

Gilbert did get shat on heavily when it happened. He's kind of faded into "meh" territory and was never mentioned in GOAT discussions.

A lot of the people who got caught with PED's were long time top level fighters in the biggest organization. It really isn't that hard to figure out why they get more hate than people who can't string together any wins in the UFC. Gilbert is 1-4 in the UFC.

1-3 in the UFC.

I love the Scrap Pack and always will. It was a thing of beauty in Strikeforce when Nick and Gil were defending there titles.

Honorable mention to Jake Shields even know I NOT a fan of his.
209 for life. I'm still a diehard Diaz bros fan but in the Strikeforce days man, Ceasar Gracie's team was unstoppable. The Scrap Pack in its prime is by far my favorite team ever.

Definitely excited to see him back, dude is a warrior, that Alvarez fight was awful, but other than that he usually puts on exciting fights.

Pettis is one of the best LWs in history? Guess 1 title defence is enough these days. I'm sure Rockhold will surpass Anderson if he beats Weidman again.
It's not like hi title defenses were the only fights he ever had though...

I don't even like Pettis, but the dude has a good resume:

Henderson x2
Cerrone
Melendez
Lauzon
Stephens

Yeah, I love watching Melendez fight. My guess is he'll move to Bellator though.

If you piss hot and then lose at the same time you are a 2x loser in my opinion. Do not care

209 for life. I'm still a diehard Diaz bros fan but in the Strikeforce days man, Ceasar Gracie's team was unstoppable. The Scrap Pack in its prime is by far my favorite team ever.
I miss Strikeforce mostly because of Nick and Gil. They put on some of the best fights of there careers. Diaz vs Daley was round of the year for that year never forgot that fight .

It's not like hi title defenses were the only fights he ever had though...

I don't even like Pettis, but the dude has a good resume:

Henderson x2
Cerrone
Melendez
Lauzon
Stephens
wasn't the judging for the Stephens fight a bit controversial?

Excited...more like 'Meeeh'
Maybe if he has a five rounder with Diego Sanchez so Diego Sanchez can get all the creed again lol.
Gil in bellator would be cool though, would be like a fresh start, ufc feels like...well Gil had his run there, Gil is like jim miller territory now, could beat anyone in the world but has nothing interesting about him anymore, he is just a great fighter but the Gil narrative in the ufc is not interesting no more.
Something outside the octagon had to happen like cowboy comes over to shake gills hand and Gil flips cowboys hat of and walks away and viola!

Can't wait for a member of the "Scarp Pakc". WAR GIBLERT!!!

Wasn't ever a huge fan of Gil. Even when he was in Strikeforce and considered top 3 in the world, I didn't think he was anything extraordinary. When he made the transition to the UFC, he was treated like a golden child getting two title shots within his 1-3 record, only defeating Diego despite some close decisions.

That being said he's usually an exciting fighter and mixes well within the #4-#10 bracket. I say Melendez/Barboza would be a fun, at least somewhat relevant match up for him when he comes back.

Gil is a good edition to the LW top ten,

He's a hard fight for anyone in the division imo..

He's 1-3. Two of those losses are dropping controversial split decisions to Alvarez and Benson Henderson.

So far RDA is the only lightweight of this generation that has proven to consistently beat top 5 talent. Gil is mixed in with the rest of top 10 guys who can beat each other on any given night.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm disappointed enough in Gil that I really don't care where he goes from here. This is exactly why a one-year suspension was not nearly long enough. Up until recently, it was totally worth the risk to cheat.

I don't know why Gil cheated, but for me, he'll always be a cheater now.
You're right. I was thinking he had another fight. Miscounted. Still, the point stands. He wasn't destroying everyone so it didn't hold as much significance. And I'm not hating on Gil. He's one of my favorites. Just explaining the seemingly unfair treatment some people get for being popped. Gil isn't a legend of the sport. That's all it is.

Back