Giant Silva was an olympian

Lacet

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Sorry if this is old folks, but a friend in Brazil just sent me this. Even though I could not understand everything, they explain that Silva was actually a pro basketball player, even playing the Olympic games for Brazil in 1988. Also mentions that he seemd to have no interest in MMA, but invitations kept coming and he was taking it. PRetty interesting, I had no idea. :D

http://sportv.globo.com/site/combat...a-de-mma-giant-silva-curte-aposentadoria.html

So what you're saying is, Giant Silva is one of those A level athletes UFC Discussion claim would dominate MMA after 3 days of training?

So what you're saying is, Giant Silva is one of those A level athletes UFC Discussion claim would dominate MMA after 3 days of training?

Just focusing on the NBA.... you have to admit the level of athleticism and conditioning is crazy.
82 games of going up and down the court, carring a frame that's on average 6'7.

It's pretty impressive.

I remember they described his fighting style as "Basketball", one time. Not quite as bad as "Pit Fighting", though.

Might be time to bring my old av back...
silva1.jpg

Brazilian basketball is not A-level.

Him vs Sentoryu is one of my favorite ever fights.

Which is why is was in my sig back when it had my fav fighter's listed for 8 years or so : D

It's easy to make fun of Silva, but he was 40+ years old and could barely walk by the time he started fighting. He may have been more of an athlete in the 80's.

Brazilian basketball is not A-level.

That is true, but I'd say its still impressive. 5th place in olympics in 88 is definitely respectable for a team. I used to think he was just a weird random guy that somehow made it to Pride.

That is true, but I'd say its still impressive. 5th place in olympics in 88 is definitely respectable for a team. I used to think he was just a weird random guy that somehow made it to Pride.

He was also in the WWE.

He's definitely an oddity

He's definitely an oddity

He used to be the Doorman at Scores in NYC on 28th st. I did the door at Crowbar next door. He did a fight in Pride back then.

He used to be the Doorman at Scores in NYC on 28th st. I did the door at Crowbar next door. He did a fight in Pride back then.

Did you see him give anyone the Giant Kimura?

Yes, the legend of the Gianto Silba only gets better with time.

Back