Gianni Grippo - NeXT GeN DLR

Digitsu

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
GianniGrippo-NeXTGeNJiuJitsu22_zps8de8d854.png

Team or no team, I

Cool. If it's priced correctly for someone who hasn't won anything at BB level I might pick it up.

bonus lesson in leaving your 10 year team via facebook on your instructors birthday. Instant blackbelt in CREONTE!

Gianni is awesome, and should be a black belt by now.

Cool. If it's priced correctly for someone who hasn't won anything at BB level I might pick it up.

We are planning on a $39.99 DVD price and an On-Demand Streaming price of $25.99. If you buy the DVD we will throw in the On-Demand Streaming for $10.00 more.

We are planning on a $39.99 DVD price and an On-Demand Streaming price of $25.99. If you buy the DVD we will throw in the On-Demand Streaming for $10.00 more.

That's reasonable. I look forward to seeing the chapter list.

yes! a chapter list would be great

bonus lesson in leaving your 10 year team via facebook on your instructors birthday. Instant blackbelt in CREONTE!

either give us the inside details (which i am guessing you don't have) or stfu

you don't know what Gianni might have said to renzo or people there. just because he posted it on fb does not mean that he told no one at Renzo's before that. kid is good, no reason to be a dbag coz he changed schools once in 10 years.

either give us the inside details (which i am guessing you don't have) or stfu

you don't know what Gianni might have said to renzo or people there. just because he posted it on fb does not mean that he told no one at Renzo's before that. kid is good, no reason to be a dbag coz he changed schools once in 10 years.

It's such a double standard. Brazilians change teams fairly often, especially as they reach an elite level and start looking for the training that will get them over the hump and onto the podium at big tournaments, but when Americans do it, it's all 'creonte' BS. It's Brazilians who want to protect their businesses so they invented this 'creonte' mythology which other Brazilians are too smart to fall for, but Americans brought up on kung fu movies swallow whole. It's not a cult, it's you paying a guy to teach you to grapple. Most of us form a lot of personal relationships at the gym and are not going to leave on a whim, but if I have a good reason for needing a change that's my business and certainly doesn't make me a bad person. Now, if you're getting training for free or living in your instructor's house or whatever where he's investing in you above and beyond a paid student-teacher relationship it might be different, but that wasn't the case with Gianni. I don't know all the circumstances, but I'm not going to judge a kid who's put more into BJJ that any of us ever will when he makes what had to be a tough decision with the goal of taking his game to the highest possible level. He's invested enough of his time and effort that if he thinks Marcelo can get him to the top of the mountain and Renzo couldn't for whatever reason, then I'm not going to second guess him and I'm certainly not going to think ill of him for taking that opportunity.

It's such a double standard. Brazilians change teams fairly often, especially as they reach an elite level and start looking for the training that will get them over the hump and onto the podium at big tournaments, but when Americans do it, it's all 'creonte' BS. It's Brazilians who want to protect their businesses so they invented this 'creonte' mythology which other Brazilians are too smart to fall for, but Americans brought up on kung fu movies swallow whole. It's not a cult, it's you paying a guy to teach you to grapple. Most of us form a lot of personal relationships at the gym and are not going to leave on a whim, but if I have a good reason for needing a change that's my business and certainly doesn't make me a bad person. Now, if you're getting training for free or living in your instructor's house or whatever where he's investing in you above and beyond a paid student-teacher relationship it might be different, but that wasn't the case with Gianni. I don't know all the circumstances, but I'm not going to judge a kid who's put more into BJJ that any of us ever will when he makes what had to be a tough decision with the goal of taking his game to the highest possible level. He's invested enough of his time and effort that if he thinks Marcelo can get him to the top of the mountain and Renzo couldn't for whatever reason, then I'm not going to second guess him and I'm certainly not going to think ill of him for taking that opportunity.

so much this.

if i'm paying you for lessons, you have no right to call me a creonte when i change schools. you want to act like this is family and i somehow betrayed you, you better train me for free. it fucking pisses me off when they act as if there is this sacred bond between them and yet if the student didn't pay up they'd kick him out. fucking double standard bullshit.

Digitsu - I've always wonder, not to get too personal, but how do the BJJ guys get paid for putting out a dvd? Do they make money per dvd sold? Or, a flat rate?

Man you really don't know what you are talking about.. In Brazil this "creonte" stuff is pretty strong among old school academies, and there isn't such "invetion" to fool americans. It is quite common to see fighters being described as "creontes" for having changed team. I also believe that if you are paying to train you can leave the place at anytime, but this mentality still exists here in Brazil. You probably won't see newer guys worring too much about this, but for the old school teachers (such as Romero Jacar

so much this.

if i'm paying you for lessons, you have no right to call me a creonte when i change schools. you want to act like this is family and i somehow betrayed you, you better train me for free. it fucking pisses me off when they act as if there is this sacred bond between them and yet if the student didn't pay up they'd kick him out. fucking double standard bullshit.

I agree with this attitude BUT to be devils advocate I feel like my coach and team has done more for me than just trained with me.

(such as Romero Jacar

I really don't think there's a conspiracy against Americans. True, when you reach a certain level some guys gravitate towards other high level guys to train, but do they denounce their allegiance? I don't recall seeing this too often. At lower belts, without very good reason, gym hopping is shady and pretty crappy when someone invests time in your development.

how is this guy still a brown belt? he's won every tournament for the last 2 years at brown except 2nd at worlds and he's still brown............

how is this guy still a brown belt? he's won every tournament for the last 2 years at brown except 2nd at worlds and he's still brown............

Gianni won Brown Belt Featherweight at the 2013 worlds

He had second at worlds the year before I think he means

Back