GI Weight class: How much does it matter?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Anac0nda, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Anac0nda

Anac0nda White Belt

How much do weight classes in a BJJ tournament matter to you?

A) You cut 5-10+ lbs for an upcoming BJJ GI tourney.

B) You cut 2-5 lbs for an upcoming BJJ tourney.

C) Your weight stays roughly the same, walking and tourney weight.

D) You don't cut weight and you participate usually on the lower ends of the weight class.

If you fall under the D. category, like say, you weight 160lbs but you fight at the 167.5 lbs max weight class or you weigh 170lbs but fight at the 181 category, how much does it matter in a GI tourney?

How much do the GI play a role as an equalizer as opposed to the GI-less? Thanks.

2. aldenton

aldenton Blue Belt

you weigh in with your Gi... so you come in @ whatever you weigh + gi (typically 3-5 pds)

Most feel its best to come in @ towards the top of whatever weight class your in (i.e. if the weight limit for your weight class is say 165.. you want to be as close as you can to that with your gi)

But tourneys differ, so double check with where ever you plan on competing.

3. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

Just competed at my first major tournament and did well. I was 92.2 kilos with the gi on in the under 94.5 division. I did face a guy who was a bit bigger and substantially stronger, but luckily his technique was somewhat lacking.

I think going down in weight depends on your game, whether in the gi or not. If you're a bit slow and a pressure player or top game guy, it's going to be harder at higher weights to get top position unless you're a slick TD artist. If, on the other hand, you have a sick guard and rely on quickness, there may not be a substantial disadvantage staying at the higher weight. Also, if you can/can't keep your energy level up when dropping weight should be a major consideration. Worst thing for you is to gas out.

4. Anac0nda

Anac0nda White Belt

I never thought of it that way. That makes a lot of sense. Good post.

5. lakergirl52

lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

I got my first tourney in a couple weeks. Weigh In same day with the Gi on. I was 3-4 pounds over one weight division, so I'm losing the weight and getting into the lower weight division. I didn't want to worry about dropping weight my first tourney but its only 4 pounds-ish so why not? Only problem: my 21st is tomorrow so going easy on the whole celebrating till the tourneys over.

6. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

haha, yeah. Watch those booze calories ;o

7. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

I don't cut. Last tournament I weighed in at 184, 11lbs under the upper limit of my weight class.

I didnt lose because he was bigger than me, I lost because I'm a bobo.

8. Chalito

Chalito Purple Belt

It all depends on how serious you are going to take the competition. I usually cut 5-10 pounds to be the heavier dude in the bracket. Then again if i'm feeling lazy then I'll just say to hell with it.

9. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

I did a Judo comp, weighed in at 167 for the 161-187 class. I thought I was going to be screwed but I didnt lose because of a size disadvantage. There was one where I was pinned and thought maybe if I was a little stronger I could have bridged a bit better, but thats all.

I'm trying to put on a bit of weight for the next one, but I wont be just trying to bulk up as much as possible. I was able to do my two last matches, which were a few minutes each, back to back. They were hard fought matches against bigger stronger, better guys. I had plenty of wind and felt good at the end. I think that the shape you are in at a given weight is more important than how close you are to the top of the class. But ideally I would be 185ish with the endurance I have now, that could help.

10. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

:p For saying that, you are an esperto in my book already.

11. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

cutting water weight correctly is very effective. cutting 10+ pounds is really easier than people make it sound. you just can't be a dumbass and sweat it out through exercise.

properly rehydrating is the most difficult part

12. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

Meh, if I'm withing 3-5 pounds of the next weight class down the week or so before the tourney I'll cut the weight, but usually I just enter wherever I weigh in at.

13. akdms

akdms Blue Belt

B & C. I walk at around 160 to 162, so depending on the tournament I either make a 165 cutoff, or I need to cut a couple pounds to make a 160 cutoff. If I'll be in the upper half of the weight class though I won't bother cutting.

Also, I care a little less about weight in no-gi. I find it easier to overcome strength and weight advantages when I don't have a gi adding friction, slowing me down, and for my opponent to hold on to.

14. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

C) and D) BUT THAT IS GOING TO CHANGE OSS. I just don't dare to try cutting weight, there's too little time from the weigh ins to the actual matches, so I don't think it's the best idea. I'll try to adopt B) as soon as my weight gets closed to the desired.

15. iheartthemount

iheartthemount Blue Belt

i weigh in at a natural 135 (5'10) and i normally try to cut down to 130 for no gi. if you look at my frame, cutting that amount of weight is difficult and guys that are a lot smaller then me but the same weight can give me fits because of their speed and strength. i'm fast as hell but i prefer to have the advantage in speed. so when i do GI, i prefer to move up to 140 -150 and be the lowest weight but not have to worry about the speed most of the time. sure i can sometimes lose upwards to 15-20 pounds but i am used to that based on my training partners.

i'll never forget my first tournament and how surprised i was that everyone was as quick as me on the feet.

16. nerraw

nerraw White Belt

The only time I've seen weight cuts go right for people is if they started eating right 4-6 weeks ahead of time. This is especially true for tournaments where participants are weighed before their first match. Otherwise I haven't seen it really benefit people.

17. Ninjamurf

Ninjamurf Handing out lollipops for over 3 decades

I think people are confusing "cutting" weight with "losing" weight. Two completely different animals. Cutting for a BJJ tourny where you weigh in and step on the mat is idiotic (in my opinion.) I generally lose a few pounds in the weeks running up to a tourny but I'm in that special case where I'm trying to get under 221. If I don't? I'm not just going against guys ~10 pounds heavier...some of those monsters top 300. So I will LOSE weight to get ready, but I won't ever CUT weight.

18. Macungah

Macungah Blue Belt

Yeah, don't cut weight. You're losing weight. It should be a gradual process of eating healthy and increasing lifting and cardio activity. You want to lose fat. Losing water will hurt your performance for the tournaments where you have to weigh directly before your match.

19. Graunie

Graunie Blue Belt

C)

I like to be within 5lbs or less going in. More than that I have felt real weak against the other opponents. Some guys are in really good shape so if I can't be doing boatloads of S&C beforehand it makes being close in weight even more important.

I should also say that I struggle to keep weight so last minute gaining really isn't an option.

20. hustles

hustles Green Belt

I walk around at 158 - 162 and compete in the 167.5 weight class. I eat whatever I want and I don't bother with any kind of weight cutting. I compete as purple master and I have no desire to cut down to feather although I am sure I could do it. I compete for fun, I am not a professional athlete and I don't aspire to be one. I see no reason to be miserable cutting weight for something that is pure pleasure to me. I like to compete, but I am not looking for every possible advantage I can get to win. I just look to have a good time. As far as I can tell when I lose its got very little to do with me being smaller and a whole lot to do with technical mistakes I make. Ill let the young guys who are hoping to make a career out of BJJ do the weight cutting.