gi vs nogi QOUTES please

geoffreysquire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hi,

i know this argument has been done to death but i was wondering if we could get a list of qoutations, or advice from the top jiu jitsu guys in the world to see their opinion on things. I know marcelo has said that he trains in the gi 6 days a week and that it is needed to be a great grappler, any others? for or against the gi? what are bj penns thoughts, nate diaz (who seems to have awesome grappling abilities), leo veira, ricardo viera, jacare etc. the list goes on

one side question...why is it, that if the gi makes you so much more of a better grappler did jacare only manage to draw against randy...a person who has never put the gi on in his life,and doesnt train jiu jitsu anywhere near as much as jacare. is randys jiu jitsu the same level as jacares then as they drew?

thanks

wen_avatar.jpg

All I know is that training Gi only will come in handy on the street if you get jumped by someone wearing a sportcoat.

"To gi or not to gi, that is the question."

Probably taken, but I just made that up.

All I know is that training Gi only will come in handy on the street if you get jumped by someone wearing a sportcoat.

There was a guy that placed 2nd in the 1971 pan-ams in judo and wrestling...and also qualified for both sports to go to the Olympics.:D

Or a button-down shirt, polo shirt, hoodie, blazer, jacket. You never see people wearing those though...oh yeah jeans and khakis can be gripped as well, but everyone is wearing leotards and spandex pants these days. Damn fashion industry!!!

Hell I let my dad apply a cross-collar choke to me while I was just wearing a plain white Hanes undershirt. Guess what? It worked.

Any reasonably tough material will cut off the blood supply in a collar choke..
One of my instructors used to roll sometimes with a sleeveless hoodie and would actually advise us to use it against him..

hi,

i know this argument has been done to death but i was wondering if we could get a list of qoutations, or advice from the top jiu jitsu guys in the world to see their opinion on things. I know marcelo has said that he trains in the gi 6 days a week and that it is needed to be a great grappler, any others? for or against the gi? what are bj penns thoughts, nate diaz (who seems to have awesome grappling abilities), leo veira, ricardo viera, jacare etc. the list goes on

one side question...why is it, that if the gi makes you so much more of a better grappler did jacare only manage to draw against randy...a person who has never put the gi on in his life,and doesnt train jiu jitsu anywhere near as much as jacare. is randys jiu jitsu the same level as jacares then as they drew?

thanks

Don't forget the about 20lbs? that Randy apparently had on Jacare

call me crazy, but I think no-gi lets you get away with sloppier technique. Gi requires you to be more consistent with your movements. No-Gi teaches you to use attributiional strengths and explosiveness, which are good, but won't "always" be something that you as a fighter have an upper hand in (theres always that bigger stronger faster guy out there)

I'll never understand why it HAS to be one or the other with some people.

Or a button-down shirt, polo shirt, hoodie, blazer, jacket. You never see people wearing those though...oh yeah jeans and khakis can be gripped as well, but everyone is wearing leotards and spandex pants these days. Damn fashion industry!!!

Hell I let my dad apply a cross-collar choke to me while I was just wearing a plain white Hanes undershirt. Guess what? It worked.

On the other hand, a lot of people won't be wearing long sleeves for you to grab, and any no-gi technique works regardless of clothing. It's kind of a pointless discussion either way.

Personally I think the gi game is awesome, it's just not what I'm interested in. I can't help but believe in the principle of specificity, and even though a lot of Brazilian traditionalists (people who happen to live and breathe BJJ) have done exceptionally well in no-gi, there is no reason why training in a gi should in fact be necessary in order to become proficient at no-gi.

call me crazy, but I think no-gi lets you get away with sloppier technique. Gi requires you to be more consistent with your movements. No-Gi teaches you to use attributiional strengths and explosiveness, which are good, but won't "always" be something that you as a fighter have an upper hand in (theres always that bigger stronger faster guy out there)

That is CRAP!!!!!

I have no Strength or Explosiveness and have nothing but technique. I am not strong I am not athletic I am a formerly overweight band nerd . I used to love gi and though it was my saving grace because I had none of those attributes. then I found movement ...

I then realized GI is nothing more that Jiu Jitsu's Training wheels .

It's time to ride the big boy mats people

I mainly train with the Gi, but when I take off the Gi I lose nothing. On the other hand guys that roll all No-GI can SOMETIMES have some trouble when fighting with the Gi.

Its just preference, I like the Gi because it reminds me of the Judo roots and the traditional martial arts. Plus how bout Royce in those first UFCs!

Oh YEAH!!! (sounds like Carl from ATHF)

Back