gi vs no gi idea

PAVMENT=MATT

White Belt
Reaction score
why not wear the gi but not grip the sleeves or the collar. Wouldn't this be the best thing....? best of both worlds! no slipping and exploding out but no huge amounts of gi chokes and other subs [and techs ]that dont translate well to mma,.

I understand that. What I don't understand is WHY? I don't see it being helpful at all.

Yyou hop in the cage and your opponent slips out of everything since he is not wearing a gi. you are not used to attacking a sweaty opponent.

I understand that. What I don't understand is WHY? I don't see it being helpful at all.

Yyou hop in the cage and your opponent slips out of everything since he is not wearing a gi. you are not used to attacking a sweaty opponent.

But the entire point of training in a gi is so that you dont have to rely on being slippery to avoid subs isnt it?

I dont agree with him. I believe that you do still need both. But that's my two cents for whatever it's worth

Gi training will make you more technically defensive since you can't rely on sweat, etc to escape. However, you have to know how to control, transition, and attack a sweaty opponent if you plan on stepping into the cage. If you are only used to gi training, you will be a fish out of water without the gi. You have to also train No-Gi.

I just don't see a point to wearing a gi and not gripping it as a cure all solution to mma grappling as the threadstarter seems to imply.

Where did the idea that someone who practices no gi subs will be tighter than someone who practices gi? If you look at top level jiu jitsu competitors do you think that their subs will be to loose to work no gi? Was Rickson able to arm bar Takada in both matches even though he didnt have a gi? Did people slip out of Marcelos subs at abu dhabi in 2007 even though he trained in a gi for it up until a week before?

no shit. perhaps you don't realize that these top gi grapplers ALSO train in NOGI if they are to be competing in NOGI.

no shit. perhaps you don't realize that these top gi grapplers ALSO train in NOGI if they are to be competing in NOGI.

How many hours do you think Rickson rolled no-gi compared to gi and Marcelo rolled only in a gi getting ready for ADCC. I am not saying that you should only train with or without a gi, I am just saying it is idiotic to say your subs will be tighter if you only train no gi. Around black belt level competition subs are going to be tight regardless.

I didnt say ONLY nogi. I said train BOTH. Re-read my post.

It is a well known fact that training in both is better than training in just one or the other.

I didnt say ONLY nogi. I said train BOTH. Re-read my post.

It is a well known fact that training in both is better than training in just one or the other.

Agreed. The ts's concept is intruiging at face value at best.

Stupidest thing I've heard in a loooong time.

why not wear the gi but not grip the sleeves or the collar. Wouldn't this be the best thing....? best of both worlds! no slipping and exploding out but no huge amounts of gi chokes and other subs [and techs ]that dont translate well to mma,.

Why not simply stop posting ? Wouldn't this be the best thing ?

Maybe you could wear a Gi while your opponent goes No gi?

why not just do both instead of trying to fight a nogi game in a gi..

I'm going to start training without a gi, but pinch my opponents skin and grab his hair. That will help me become even tighter when I do put my gi back on.

Back