GI sizing!! (help please!)

DI99

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Which size GI should I get? - I'm 6'2 , 165lbs. The GI sizing chart says....
A3: 5'10 - 6' , and 167-200 lbs.
A4: 6'1 - 6'4 , and 205-245 lbs.

so i kinda fall in between 2 sizes, but it seems that im closer to the A3, i just wanna make sure it wont be too small. but the A4 seems like it might be much too big (going by weight anyways)

I had the exact same problem, tall and skinny stuck in between sizes. I think what most people will say is height is more important, go with the A4 and shrink it down as needed. You could look into some companies that either have a slimmer cut or having specifically designed sizes for us skinny guys.

I had the exact same problem, tall and skinny stuck in between sizes. I think what most people will say is height is more important, go with the A4 and shrink it down as needed. You could look into some companies that either have a slimmer cut or having specifically designed sizes for us skinny guys.

the only thing that has me thinkin A3 over A4 though is that im 165lbs and the A3 already fits/goes over my limit for weight (167-200), and im just about 6'2 so i would only be over the height by about an inch and a half to 2 inches. whereas A4 just seems wayy to big (205-245). seems like i would get lost in it haha.

but yeah, tall and slim is definitely not making this choice easier!

edit: it is a gameness gi btw

Last edited:
i was fat and wore a 5, lost weight and have same gi, its horrible! better to go a little over than a little under though

i was fat and wore a 5, lost weight and have same gi, its horrible! better to go a little over than a little under though

the thing is though, the A3 ranges from my weight to 40 pounds over, but says around 6' , so being 6'2, i just wanna make sure its not too small

A4 says 6'1 - 6'4 which seems about right for my height, but is like 40-70 pounds more than my weight on the chart

true, height is more important than weight. you can always wrap it around, but if the sleeves are just below your elbows, then you'll be uncomfortable, throws and chokes will be much different. hate gi chokes though!

I hear ya, my fuji gi is good length wise but Im absolutely swimming in it width wise, very annoying. If you do go for the A3, do all you can to prevent skrinkage.

I would look for an A4 slim or competition cut or go with a company like keiko or lucky who is known for slimmer cut gis. Fushida is also well known for having longer or in between sizes, so thats a good option for you too.

The thing you want to watch for is not just the width of the jacket but sleeve length. I am 5'8 195 but I'm an A3 or even A4 in some sizes because I have extremely long arms for my height. The sizing charts are just a guideline.

If you're buying from one of the more reputable smaller companies, many of them are members here and will answer any questions you have and try to help you get a gi that fits.

i contacted gameness and they suggested an A3 for me.
Also, i have 5/190 judo pants which fit me perfect, and i heard they were equivalent to the A3 pant sizing. so if thats the case, i think it should be fine.

Get the A3.
I'm 6'2" and around 185, but have a tall and thin build.
A3's always fit me in the length of the pants and sleeves.

My Gameness Platinum is nice and snug, just how I like it.
My Gameness Feather is a little looser, but no where near baggy.

Not wure what brand you are looking at, but go with an A3.

The only A3 I know of that won't filt you right in the Koral A3...I was lost in that things, but the sleeves and pants length was good.

Get the A3.
I'm 6'2" and around 185, but have a tall and thin build.
A3's always fit me in the length of the pants and sleeves.

My Gameness Platinum is nice and snug, just how I like it.
My Gameness Feather is a little looser, but no where near baggy.

Not wure what brand you are looking at, but go with an A3.

The only A3 I know of that won't filt you right in the Koral A3...I was lost in that things, but the sleeves and pants length was good.

im getting the gameness air, and yeah im going with an A3:)

5'2"-5'5" | 110-140 | A-1
5'5"-5'9" | 140-170 | A-2
5'9"-6'1" | 170-200 | A-3
6'0"-6'4" | 200-250 | A-4
6'0"-6'4" | 225-275 | A-5

my problem is that i'm 5'0" 104 and that's before i cut weight and really get into shape. Is the a-1 gi going to be too big?

Go with a Fushida bro. Send in all your measurements and Christo will hook you up proper. They have in between sizes and will send you separate sized tops and bottoms unlike most other gi companies.

Go with a Fushida bro. Send in all your measurements and Christo will hook you up proper. They have in between sizes and will send you separate sized tops and bottoms unlike most other gi companies.

won a gameness gi , so gameness it is haha:)

keiko and mkm are for tall lakny guys

also, on the atama website you can get a mun 9 with different size jacket an pants

I vote a3 too. I'm 6'1", 175 pounds, I wear A2, A2X or A3 depending on the brand.

You may consider goin to an A@ and washing cold, hang to dry. A3's are huge on me out of the box.

DI99 go with the A3, I wear an A4 in Gameness and weigh alot more than you do. You will be swimming in the A4

It all depends on the brand of Gi. Your question is not that general. What kind of Gi are you looking at?

Back