Gi Review: Tatami Fightwear 'Estilo' Gi

Meerkatsu

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Tatami Fightwear are a UK brand that is growing fast. Their new top of the line model is really nice. See my full review here:

MEERKATSU: Gi Review: Tatami Fightwear 'Estilo' Gi

Pros:
Very nice contrast-coloured styling
Comfortable but strong pearlweave jacket
Excellent cut and fit (for me)
Not too pricey for what you get (

just wanted to say i enjoy reading your reviews...i consider myself somewhat of a gear-head, although i don't own a bunch, it's nice to "kick the tires" and window shop online.

good review here...i'de love to see you review the Breakpoint Ultra Light, I've got one on the way, but I'm afraid my review wouldn't hold a candle flame next to yours!

oh yeah...one more thing. which one is you in the final picture?? heheh, j/k...i know, i'm lame.

Heh Kimble09, we heart lame!

Being based in the UK, I tend to review gis made by European companies, but I'm starting to get requests by international gi companies too, like Storm and Fushida. Problem is I don't want to pay for shipping and tax, and that kinda puts off some companies. Having said that, I still have a few more gi reviews (from international brands) coming my way. Next up is Masaru - a new company that now sponsors Braulio Estima, his brother Victor and some little known guy called Roger Gracie..anyone heard of him?

I've had the gi a week now and the fabric is exactly like a Koral Classic, but cut smaller and detailed with more patches. Full review coming soon.

Thanks for your kind comments and support guys. These reviews are fun to do but I genuinely write them to help out the consumer.

Heh Kimble09, we heart lame!

Being based in the UK, I tend to review gis made by European companies, but I'm starting to get requests by international gi companies too, like Storm and Fushida. Problem is I don't want to pay for shipping and tax, and that kinda puts off some companies. Having said that, I still have a few more gi reviews (from international brands) coming my way. Next up is Masaru - a new company that now sponsors Braulio Estima, his brother Victor and some little known guy called Roger Gracie..anyone heard of him?

I've had the gi a week now and the fabric is exactly like a Koral Classic, but cut smaller and detailed with more patches. Full review coming soon.

Thanks for your kind comments and support guys. These reviews are fun to do but I genuinely write them to help out the consumer.

good stuff...i will try to do up a review of the BP Ultra Light when it gets here. I especially like the photos you take...my wife has a slr cannon, so i'll see if i can get some good pics, too!

not as nice but i don't like repetitive looking banners

looks like the shoulder patches will be hard to remove as it is sewn underneath the collar --> deal breaker to me since my preference is for less patches.

really like the contrast stitching tho.

looks like the shoulder patches will be hard to remove as it is sewn underneath the collar --> deal breaker to me since my preference is for less patches.

really like the contrast stitching tho.

good point about the shoulder patches possibly being hard to remove, i'll have to remember that if i ever add shoulder patches to a gi

On the subject of removing patches, I've never done it myself, but my blogger friend Slidey has removed the shoulder patch from his Zero G gi:

slideyfoot.com | bjj resources: Gi Review - Tatami Zero G

As you can see from this photo of the Zero G, the shoulder patch is stitched under the collar also:

4769118725_8d1e53102b_b.jpg

But he did not seem to have a problem using a seam ripper. I'll ask him how he removed the bit that was trapped under the collar.

hey meerkatsu, did you have a problem with the collar digging into your neck? the first couple times i wore this gi it was extremely uncomfortable because of the way the collar sits. i have a semi-thick neck (16.5") and dry the gi with the collar flipped inside out so when i put it on its not choking me. i figure it just needs to be broken in more, but was wondering if anyone else had to deal with this problem?

hey meerkatsu, did you have a problem with the collar digging into your neck? the first couple times i wore this gi it was extremely uncomfortable because of the way the collar sits. i have a semi-thick neck (16.5") and dry the gi with the collar flipped inside out so when i put it on its not choking me. i figure it just needs to be broken in more, but was wondering if anyone else had to deal with this problem?

Not really, but I'm a really skinny guy with a skinny neck so I have not noticed any collar problems. I just checked my Tatami gis and the collar stiffness seems about the same as most of my other gis - apart from the Storm and the Roy Dean - which do not have the rubber core. I think it will soften after several washes.

On the subject of removing patches, I've never done it myself, but my blogger friend Slidey has removed the shoulder patch from his Zero G gi:

slideyfoot.com | bjj resources: Gi Review - Tatami Zero G

[...] But he did not seem to have a problem using a seam ripper. I'll ask him how he removed the bit that was trapped under the collar.

Yeah, getting those shoulder patches off was more awkward. The majority of the patch came off as easily as the various others on the back and legs, but there was that last bit underneath the collar. I yanked the patch free, but then ended up having to pull out the remaining sliver strand by strand, which isn't ideal. So, there is a slight blue tinge remaining on my gi if you look closely.

Maybe that will distract someone trying to choke you. "oh, what is that under the-"

They do have a kind of simpler version. I think the only real difference besides contrast stitching and patches is twill vs. canvas pants: Tatami Fightwear Nova Basic BJJ GI
Sorry about this. Just realized the Nova isn't like the Estilo at all. It's made of a "Single Piece Gold Weave Jacket", not "Single Piece Gold Weave Jacket" as I read it when it was first released. Guess I was in a hurry back then.

I was going to post a review on this gi but since there's this one already I thought I would just post a short opinion here. In short, I'm not liking this gi.

*It doesn't fit properly and I find it very uncomfortable. If I had order one size larger it would be too big, so it has to be the cut. It also doesn't fit properly.

*The jacket material is very stiff and uncomfortable specially when compared to Keiko and Koral.

*It seems to be shrinking unequally.

*The thick pants are a drag and hold movement, unless you are the kind of guy who has bird legs. I have very muscular legs and the thick pants are a disservice. I only wore them a few times and have since rolled in my Koral pants with the Tatami jacket.

*The pants rope drawstrings although better than the flat ones is very stiff which makes it hard to tie and defeats the purpose of being better in staying tied.

All together I really didn't like it. I much prefer my Keiko and Koral. It's a nice looking gi and cheap in comparison to the top brands but Keiko and Koral it ain't.
I will give it to a friend who needs a new gi.

Interesting. Could be body type difference then, I believe. Me and Meerkatsu are similar in size, and the gi fit both of us well. It is one of my best fitting gis.

Just wondering about the stiff rope drawstring though. Find that a little odd as they tend to stiffen much less than flat ones over time, at least in my experience.

Back