Gi Review: Roy Dean 'Honor' Gi

Meerkatsu

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I review the Roy Dean Academy limited edition 'Honor' gi - available from Budovideos.

See my full report here:
MEERKATSU: Gi Review: Roy Dean 'Honor' limited edition BJJ gi

Here are some photos and a summary of my report:

Some beautiful specially commissioned Japanese calligraphy embroidered on arms and leg:

SEY_6359 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

Discretely placed RDA logo on the calf:

SEY_6347 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

The collar is light and flexible but does not contain a rubber inner:

SEY_6372 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

Cool contrast stitching and rich brown flat belt cord:

SEY_6363 copy by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

Some dorky gi addict:

SEY_6663 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

I dont mean anything agaisnt you but i never seen a gi fit you right ...the skirt always looks to long on you , i seriously think you should try a fuji single and shrink it to fit .
Your body is a very out of the norm shape as your legs are super long and your body is so short .

I appreciate your reviews there always done so well.

Heh, thanks Nickynoneck, no you are right, I have really weird body proportions and I guess that is why I am obsessed with trying so many different types of gi.

You see I should fit an A1, but my long arms mean they always end up too short, so I buy and A2 and hope for the best when shrinking.

My Fushida is pretty long in the skirt, but it does not hinder my rolling, whereas long or too short sleeves would be really annoying. So in that sense, the Fushida is about as good a fit as I can go with the jacket. The trousers are another matter which I discuss in my report, and something that Christo will address by sending me out a smaller pair.

Check out my Tatami Fightwear Zero G gi in A1:

4791050365_89bda360e4_b.jpg

It is fairly close to a perfect fit but the trousers are too short so that is annoying and by design, the Zero g's always have really long skirts.

A lot of people love the Fuji and it's on my radar. The black one looks very cool and they're pretty cheap. If I do get hold of one, of course I'll publish my own thoughts right here.

Thanks!

I have the same problem as i am 5'9 but really stocky iam a a2 length with a a3 body I got the shoyoroll a2h which is great legth wise but the gi wraps around me iam still shrinking it everyonce in a while the pants are like hammer pants .

My next gi is gonna be a fushida i think .

Hey guys,

I review the Roy Dean Academy limited edition 'Honor' gi - available from Budovideos.

See my full report here:
MEERKATSU: Gi Review: Roy Dean 'Honor' limited edition BJJ gi

Here are some photos and a summary of my report:

Some beautiful specially commissioned Japanese calligraphy embroidered on arms and leg:

SEY_6359 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

Discretely placed RDA logo on the calf:

SEY_6347 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

The collar is light and flexible but does not contain a rubber inner:

SEY_6372 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

Cool contrast stitching and rich brown flat belt cord:

SEY_6363 copy by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

Some dorky gi addict:

SEY_6663 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

How tall are you Meercat? What do you weigh? I just ordered this in A4, I wear an A2G in the Fushida (which I love by the way). Do you think I will be OK for fit? I'm worried it will be a little small but they were sold out of size 5. Also, I have owned a Fuji size 5 and found the body too wide.

Hi Shindoninja,
If you have bought the Honor gi then I guess you'll soon find out. Have a close look at the measurement chart I posted on the actual review on my blog. You'll see the shrinkage is fairly minimal on the jacket length and trsouer length but quite a lot on the arm length.
I washed the gi twice at 40 degrees.

Also, if your Fushida fits so well, when you get the Honor gi, put it on top of the Fushida and see how it compares along all dimensions. If it already appears smaller than your Fushida, then don't wash it and either get a refund or sell it on Ebay because I suspect once you wash it and wear it, Budovideos will not accept a refund.

Having said that, it is fairly loose on me, so I think you might be ok long as you cold wash it and air dry it. Hope this helps.

Oh yes, I am 167cm tall, 59kg in weight and have a very long wingspan (167cm wrist to wrist if you hold your arms out forward)

Hi Shindoninja,
If you have bought the Honor gi then I guess you'll soon find out. Have a close look at the measurement chart I posted on the actual review on my blog. You'll see the shrinkage is fairly minimal on the jacket length and trsouer length but quite a lot on the arm length.
I washed the gi twice at 40 degrees.

Also, if your Fushida fits so well, when you get the Honor gi, put it on top of the Fushida and see how it compares along all dimensions. If it already appears smaller than your Fushida, then don't wash it and either get a refund or sell it on Ebay because I suspect once you wash it and wear it, Budovideos will not accept a refund.

Having said that, it is fairly loose on me, so I think you might be ok long as you cold wash it and air dry it. Hope this helps.

Oh yes, I am 167cm tall, 59kg in weight and have a very long wingspan (167cm wrist to wrist if you hold your arms out forward)

Thanks. THat helps. I compared the measurements to my Atama in A3 that I have shrunk in the dryer, and the Honor is actually not far off that.
***Update - I talked directly with Sensei Dean and he thinks I should be in a size 6...

Well, the size 4 fits - but I would not want to wash it. Maybe I can just dry clean it! haha. I told Sensei Dean I will take a size 6. If it is huge I can get it altered. With Judo season starting I need a gi that is a little looser anyhow.

Last edited:
Back