Gi Review: Kingz Black 420 V2

TheArsenal

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently received my new Kingz V2 420 Gi for Xmas. Figured I would attempt to do somewhat of a review. Full disclosure I haven't worn it yet to train, will update after that gets done.

The biggest thing I'd like to mention is the sizing, I am currently 5'7 and about 220lbs and wear size L t-shirts and 34/30 jeans. This obviously makes it really hard to decide which gi to order, do I go for length or do I look for more that will fit me better around the mid section but still most likely need to be tailored. When Kingz gi's first came out my coach had ordered an A2 in which I tried on, it fit well but was a bit long in the sleeves and legs. When they came out with the new sizes, I knew I had to check out the A2H.

Even though the chart says 5'6 to 5'9 175-190, I had a feeling it would fit me well/good enough because of trying on the older kingz and knowing that my A2 Koral fit me, which had similar sizing suggestions.

When the gi showed up, my first thought was that it look very sharp. I know a lot of people aren't huge fans of patches but I feel that Kingz does a very good job at having patches that look clean and sleek. But as much as I liked the look, the fit of the gi really makes a purchase for me. Luckily it fit amazingly, even better then my koral which I had always thought was the best. It really lives up to the H, tons of room in the shoulders and mid section area.

The pants are also godly like, soooo comfortable and light, I'm really excited to train in them. My only worry is the crotch area looks like it could possibly turn into a problem. I posted pictures why, doesn't look that well reinforced but maybe it doesn't need to be with the material used. I also noticed a loose string on the end of the pants, but it's pretty rare to buy any clothing that doesn't have a loose string or two.

I'd also like to say that I got it a fightersmarket.com and those guys(Rene) were awesome, they helped me out a ton when my Storm gi ripped and looked after me while after Storm was giving me/them the run around. Sorry for rambling, but I'll post an update once I roll in in a bit, here are a bunch of pictures.

sidepicp.png

mainpic.png

gipic.png

lapelupclose.png

lapelwidth.png

20130101194850931.jpg

I was having a hard time deciding between the Light 420, the Comp 450, or the Ripstop 420.

Ultimately I ended up with the Ripstop 420 (which I will be training in today for the first time) but like you've said, quality seems top notch and the style is pretty clean. For having 3 patches on the jacket, it isn't too bad, although I'm debating on taking off the chest patch and leaving the shoulder ones.

I feel the same way about the pants (the 420 Light and 420 Ripstop are both the same, minus 2 drawstring loops), that they feel very "flimsy". I'm curious how it will hold up to long term training.

Just a little bit of an update on these. The pants did end up ripping, but FightersMarket came through again with great customer service and sent me a new pants right away. Will be curious to see if they rip or not too. The FM rep was saying this was the first case of this happening and would talk to the manufacturer about it. f

Everyone I've talked to at my gym seems to have a hate on about ripstop pants in general, all saying they have had bad experiences with ripstop pants at one point or another. Will be very interesting to see if these ones rip or not.

the pants on mine are great. i thought maybe that they wouldn't fit at first, so fighters market sent me a second pair for free as a just in case, still haven't had to use them yet.

i have the ripstop v2 as well, i liked it so much i bought another one in blue.

i want to get one in the pearl version as well.

i got the 450 v2 in A3L, and this is the gi for tall lanky bastards (like me).

i am 6'2" or 6'3" and the a3 fits me better than any other gi i've ever tried, i haven't tried the a3 though, that could fit even better

Looks good, nice seems. I like how its not overdone with stuff as well.

I ordered the 450 comp V2 and being 5'9 and 90kg I thought the A2h would fit perfectly given the sizing chart for the A2h says that the top end is 5'9 and 190lbs (86kg). It arrived today and its the biggest Gi in the world! It literally fits my 115kg training partner.
Be careful when u order it appears the sizing chart means fuck all.

I ordered the 450 comp V2 and being 5'9 and 90kg I thought the A2h would fit perfectly given the sizing chart for the A2h says that the top end is 5'9 and 190lbs (86kg). It arrived today and its the biggest Gi in the world! It literally fits my 115kg training partner.
Be careful when u order it appears the sizing chart means fuck all.

Yeah, I really don't agree with many sizing charts. Knowing how the A2H fits me, doesn't surprise me it is huge on you. I'm a big believer in only buying gi's that I've either read a review with a person with a similar size as me or trying on a training partners gi.

The pants did end up ripping, but FightersMarket came through again with great customer service and sent me a new pants right away. Will be curious to see if they rip or not too. The FM rep was saying this was the first case of this happening and would talk to the manufacturer about it.

Bruno took care of me when mine ripped. However the second pair that they sent in the larger size ripped as well. The top is everything that I could ask for though. I have to use my Koral and Venum pants with the top. I am going to order the 450 most likely pretty soon. Hopefully the pants are better on those.

The problem with the pants isn't the ripstop fabric itself. It seems to me that they are too long from the top of the pants to the gussets. Being in the middle of your thighs when you spread your legs and bend over is the motion that ripped mine.

Back