Gi patches: is it disrespectful?

EvilStyle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Would it be considered disrespectful to wear a patch on your gi to another school?
For example: if one wears a Royce Gracie patch at another BJJ dojo, is that considered a sign of disrespect? Thanks for the reply!

Do you think it's disrespectful?

Because I can assure you that some instructors will care and others won't.

Are you going to be there a while or is this a drop-in scenario and it's only going to be a week or couple classes?

Just check association, and make sure its not an in-town rival.

You should always have one gi w/o patches IMO

I just joined a BJJ Dojo and I'm planning to be there for a while. I have 2 white Atama gi's and one of them I paired up with an Atama Royce Gracie pants. I never trained with Royce, but I am a big fan. Personally, I don't think it's disrespectful, but others might and being that I'm the new guy I definitely don't want to get off on the wrong foot.

I ve got the patch of my school on the back, an alliance patch, but also got the patch of our friend school on the same gi (hugo fevrier's tropa de elite)

go there and give it a try, ask the instructor before u get on the mat if its ok with him. if he says no, ask if he will make an exception for just 1 class then go home and use a seam ripper on it ($4 at walmart). if you dont want to take the patch off, you can buy a superior pair of Shoyoroll's for $35 at budovideos.com.

It really depends on the school/instructor. Call and ask.

Back