Gi Patch Taboo

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there any taboo associated with decorating your gi with patches that have absolutely nothing to do with BJJ? I was thinking about sprucing up my old gi and sewing some random patches on it, but also didn't want to piss anyone off. My instructor said he doesn't care if I come in wearing a purple pink polka-dot gi, so I am not worried about him.

The only issue I ever had was wearing a gi with my old school patch on it. My instuctor was pissed and insisted that I remove it or cover it up.

most of the guys in tournaments have so many patches cause its all their sponsers. id just put your affliation patch on there. theres a lot of rivalries in bjj, if you wore a BTT patch to carlsons gracies gym you wouldnt be welcomed

whats the point of decorating your gi? unless its the patch of your sponsor what good is it?

yeah, your a whore if you are wearing patches.

Why put all that crap on unless someone is paying you to wear it.
Its newbies wanting to look "cool" or experienced.... just leave your gi how it is man. save your self some $.. let you game speak for it self.

alexgncw said:
whats the point of decorating your gi? unless its the patch of your sponsor what good is it?

It makes you stand out and be pretty. Everyone looks at you and says, "Wow, I want to kick that guys ass for being so colorful." And because of that you get better. Plus for Gi guys, its like a tattoo, because the gi is like a second skin. Just treat it like a tattoo. Put a tiger on your gi, or a heart with an arrow through it that says "mom". I really want a mom one.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
It makes you stand out and be pretty. Everyone looks at you and says, "Wow, I want to kick that guys ass for being so colorful." And because of that you get better. Plus for Gi guys, its like a tattoo, because the gi is like a second skin. Just treat it like a tattoo. Put a tiger on your gi, or a heart with an arrow through it that says "mom". I really want a mom one.

The tiger is too 80's. Barbed wire and tribal is too 90's. I was thinking about putting a random name tag (that is not my name) on it, a Dr. Pepper patch, a couple of Vietnam Vet patches and some other shit.

Gsoares2 said:
yeah, your a whore if you are wearing patches.

Why put all that crap on unless someone is paying you to wear it.
Its newbies wanting to look "cool" or experienced.... just leave your gi how it is man. save your self some $.. let you game speak for it self.

how about waring patches to support the scene? i know people that have on the mat patches because OTM are some cool motherfuckers that support the grappling scene.

i have a xande riberio pacth that he gave me that i will eventually put on one of my gis, not because he's paying me, but because he is a cool guy that deserves support.

b0b said:
Is there any taboo associated with decorating your gi with patches that have absolutely nothing to do with BJJ? I was thinking about sprucing up my old gi and sewing some random patches on it, but also didn't want to piss anyone off. My instructor said he doesn't care if I come in wearing a purple pink polka-dot gi, so I am not worried about him.

i know a kid that has a damn boy scout patch on his gi. nobody seems to care.

the best gi i have ever seen was at the nashville open, some guy had a pimp gi, its had ky jelly, trojan, and all kinds of patches on them. he scanned them on his computer and printed them on patches

i remember one guy in my old academy had a marijuana leaf patch on his gi. The instructor asked him what is that? He said with a smile,"That's my patch." The instructor told him to take it off. :D

minimagpro said:
the best gi i have ever seen was at the nashville open, some guy had a pimp gi, its had ky jelly, trojan, and all kinds of patches on them. he scanned them on his computer and printed them on patches

that's sounds like a funny guy, but i would not have rolled with him. next thing you know you're the posterboy on mat battle rolling with their KY Guy.

a navy seal patch would be cool

how about an eye patch? :p

VampireMonk said:
a navy seal patch would be cool

how about an eye patch? :p

I wouldnt mind a patch of a gi with a patch of a gi on it.

I have this one patch that has the logo of a good punk band on it. I also have a patch that has a swastika and it's crossed over (hence being anti-nazi) but I don't think I'll ever put it on my gi.

I really like the idea of using band patches, but it shouldn't be over done. One or two small ones is enough.

I have a big Superman S on the back of my gi.. yea i get a lot of crap but so what :)

I got the Guam Seal patch on my right arm, to represent where I was born and raised. I have my schools patch on my right pant leg and soon on my back, and I have a Delariva patch on the right breast of my jacket become we are form the delariva academy.

Initially I didnt want any patches because I was old school and thought gi's should be plain, even now im not a fan of gi's that arent blue or white....

I would love to have a GI that looked like this.

skeletonsuit.jpg

I may also sew a ninja hood into it.

Back