Gi or No Gi?

All I have ever done is Gi. If you go against any untrained person I know from personal experience that you will without a doubt dominate that person without any effort what so ever. It was shocking to me how easy it was to win a fight after 2 years of BJJ. I literally felt like I was wrestling with my kid brother. 12 years of weight lifting helped I'm sure but the control I had over the guy was unreal.

The funny part is I have no TD's at all. I don't train them, I hate training TD's, and I normally just pull guard. This guy I grabbed around the waist and had complete control of him and he was taller than me by a good foot.

If I did BJJ 1-3 days a week for 2 years, roughly how far along would I be? Blue Belt level?

You better hope they're wearing a heavy coat lol
That's one of the common argument I hear for it, that people are going to be wearing a jacket. It's very likely even in the cold someone who wants to start a fight will take it off first. As some of the earlier post suggested, if you train in the gi but using no gi grips (under and over hooks) and don't rely on gi chokes and grips. No gi is definitely the better way to get prepared for self defense in a street fight

Young thugs will often even take off their t shirt before charging at you. I don't understand it but it happens.

I enjoy no gi as well as judo, but when grappling in the gi I've definately been told I have a "no gi game" by virtue of attacking limbs, triangles, guillitines, but rarely pursuing gi chokes.

All I have ever done is Gi. If you go against any untrained person I know from personal experience that you will without a doubt dominate that person without any effort what so ever. It was shocking to me how easy it was to win a fight after 2 years of BJJ. I literally felt like I was wrestling with my kid brother. 12 years of weight lifting helped I'm sure but the control I had over the guy was unreal.

The funny part is I have no TD's at all. I don't train them, I hate training TD's, and I normally just pull guard. This guy I grabbed around the waist and had complete control of him and he was taller than me by a good foot.

Can you tell us more about that fight?

I always wonder about this. I'm a pretty small guy (5'8" and around 170), so naturally almost everyone is bigger than me. I always wonder how I would fare against an untrained person in a bar who is (likely) over 200lb and closer to 6' tall. Even though I'm a competent blue belt now with more than 2 years of 5+ times a week training consistently, even against completely new white belts who are 230lb+ I can still get smothered simply due to gravity and physics.

Now I add punches being thrown into the mix and I have to wonder.

Can you tell us more about that fight?

I always wonder about this. I'm a pretty small guy (5'8" and around 170), so naturally almost everyone is bigger than me. I always wonder how I would fare against an untrained person in a bar who is (likely) over 200lb and closer to 6' tall. Even though I'm a competent blue belt now with more than 2 years of 5+ times a week training consistently, even against completely new white belts who are 230lb+ I can still get smothered simply due to gravity and physics.

Now I add punches being thrown into the mix and I have to wonder.

I'm 5'10" and 170 at the time of this fight though I was more around 185. I had only trained 2 years taking about 6 months off in between each year. I've also been lifting weights for about 14 years (ten during this fight). I had to stop training about 3 month before that fight though because of financial issues.

I don't have issues against big guys who are completely new anymore. I've found I'm easily able to take the back from closed guard. Now we do have a bigger guy who's been training for about 7 months. I don't roll with big guys cause I don't want to get hurt but the last time I did he completely dominated me as far as position goes. He was just to big and strong even when I was able to reverse him he would just bench press me off pretty much.

I enjoy no gi as well as judo, but when grappling in the gi I've definately been told I have a "no gi game" by virtue of attacking limbs, triangles, guillitines, but rarely pursuing gi chokes.

Same here man. Good game.

I'm 5'10" and 170 at the time of this fight though I was more around 185. I had only trained 2 years taking about 6 months off in between each year. I've also been lifting weights for about 14 years (ten during this fight). I had to stop training about 3 month before that fight though because of financial issues.

I don't have issues against big guys who are completely new anymore. I've found I'm easily able to take the back from closed guard. Now we do have a bigger guy who's been training for about 7 months. I don't roll with big guys cause I don't want to get hurt but the last time I did he completely dominated me as far as position goes. He was just to big and strong even when I was able to reverse him he would just bench press me off pretty much.

How did the actual fight go though?

How did the actual fight go though?

He took a swing and hit me right in the nose and everything went black but I felt fine just couldn't see. Put my hands up and as soon as I felt him hit my hands I grabbed his arm, pulled him in, bear hugged him and swung around to the back. Lifted him in the air and he was just barely able to stay up right because he was so much taller than me and used his tippy toes. Dropped down and just wrapped up his legs and slammed him against a car that was parked nearby on his ass. Climbed on top into mount pretty much but his upper body against the car sitting up. Started pulling him down away from the car with my head low and he was trying to box up my ears but I felt nothing. At this point I had him mounted and was just about to sit up and stat making it rain....then I got jumped.

They tried to jump my cousin but he boxes and his footwork\head movement is on point. He was fucking them up. At that point I just turtled up while in mount on the guy. They tried kicking me but nothing really hurt except for the initial liver shot\kick that landed. At one point a guy tried getting the RNC but I just tucked my chin even more and he couldn't do shit. Eventually I felt him stop trying, I later found out that my cousin had run over and delivered an upper cut from hell to get the guy off me.

Young thugs will often even take off their t shirt before charging at you. I don't understand it but it happens.

To answer the why in your first question of why they'll take your short off, it's called posturing. If that guy just wanted to just primally beat you to death they'd go right in without hesitation. Since most fights are more so about displaing your dominance the taking the shirt off, emptying pockets, taking off jewelry etc is meant to scare the opponent and draw in bystanders. That's along the same lines after someone has clearly won, (ko, opponent stops fighting etc) the Victor will back off.
Even a street fight isn't really survival/ life or death, at least not for the one who starts it.

After finally training both, I really have no preference. I enjoy the problem solving aspects that each one presents. Different puzzles to solve. I'd say that the gi is like playing chess and no gi is like playing chess without any pawns. LOL. Imperfect analogy but it works if you think about it. ;)

I play a chin to chin/slx/butterfly heavy game. Even tho I train gi way more o prefer nogi so I can reap the hell of people and heel hook them. It’s funny because they feel safe when we train gi because it’s not allowed, that all changes real quick nogi and my entries are much more feared

No-gi - translates to both no-gi and go.I hate when people pass by grabing plants.I like no-gi chokes, I'm nad at first chokes.Though I have little experience without tu, I think i have to learn one or a few gi guards to have better funkcji with gi

I play a chin to chin/slx/butterfly heavy game. Even tho I train gi way more o prefer nogi so I can reap the hell of people and heel hook them. It’s funny because they feel safe when we train gi because it’s not allowed, that all changes real quick nogi and my entries are much more feared

At our club you can do whatever you want when you're blue belt and up, gi or no gi. The coach says that the grappling industries events in our area have less limitations so we need to train for everything.

Heel hooks are still a bit frown upon, I personnally only try them against the other leg locks guys (if someone ever tries one on me or drill them with me I can go with them). But I do them to everybody in no gi classes.

Back