gi or no gi

For the collar chokes, it's not like they totally dominate rolling. Most subs don't involve the gi. How many times do you get subbed with a collar choke while rolling? I can't remember the last time I got collar choked outside of drills. Yes, the gi adds better grips -- but so does almost any kind of clothing in real life, as anyone who gets in a street fight knows. You're not likely to be going up against some half-naked guy, like in MMA.

Generally gi seems more technique, no gi is more physicality. They're both awesome, but why not learn technique first? I plan to go no gi once I get better with the gi.

Zankou said:
For the collar chokes, it's not like they totally dominate rolling. Most subs don't involve the gi. How many times do you get subbed with a collar choke while rolling? I can't remember the last time I got collar choked outside of drills. Yes, the gi adds better grips -- but so does almost any kind of clothing in real life, as anyone who gets in a street fight knows. You're not likely to be going up against some half-naked guy, like in MMA.

Generally gi seems more technique, no gi is more physicality. They're both awesome, but why not learn technique first? I plan to go no gi once I get better with the gi.

I agree. As you say, the gi gripping adds so much whether your not using it to sub. Even gripping your own to trap their arm adds so much. My school train in both, no gi only once a year for around 2 or 3 months for a tournament. I started gi first & noticed a difference both before & after doing gi, going from gi to no gi then back. Both help one another, I use peoples neck more & its given me a better idea of where to grab an opponents arm during gi from doing no gi stuff.

I like both but train gi more just because thats how classes are set up at my academy. I would say training with the gi will make you far more technical and force you to do certain things you otherwise would be able to slime your way out of many times without the gi. I personally prefer competing and rolling without the gi.
Take this for what it is. I've entered two gi tournaments and never won a match. I've entered 3 gi tournaments and won second place as well as third place twice, one in the absolute. I've noticed people from schools that predominatly train with the gi tend to do the best even at no gi tournaments.
For that reason, I would say start out with the gi. Even if its just for six months.

In the gi I always get chocked by the damm thing, always lose by some sort of gi choke I'am new to bjj but I dont get caught often in arm bars or leglocks just gi chokes It drives me nuts. gona start no gi nxt week but I would say train both if possible!

I'm another vote for gi.

Like several have said, gi training seems to better advance one's technical jiu jitsu skills, and while of course strength, athleticism always help no matter what you're training, those attributes seem to even things out more when training without the gi, so that technical jiu jitsu skill seems less of an asset without the gi than with it.

That's why I think alot of guys without previous jiu jitsu training seem to prefer no gi, they're starting out at somewhat less at a disadvantage vs. the more experienced guys, and especially guys with wrestling backgrounds can come in and compete much better no gi with the more experienced jiu jitsu guys than they can compete against them with the gi. I've also heard people say that training with the gi makes you much better at defending subs and sweeps in no gi; ie if you can fight off subs with the gi it's even easier to then do without.

Me with no previous training at all and no wrestling background and neither particularly stong, quick nor athletic starting out, I still kind of went in leaning toward no gi because it felt wierd and uncomfortable putting a gi on, but after getting into training a little longer I started to have a pretty strong preference for gi training. Though at my school we do both and I enjoy the change of pace from time to time.

Q mystic said:
I'm sure you'll see plenty of shoulder throws w/o gi.
the term shoulder throw refers to throwing over the shoulder instead of over the hip, not gripping their shoulder to throw them like it might sound.

i hope you dont plan on shoulder throwing someone without a gi.

Big Red said:
If your out of shape like me..being sweaty will make you more likely to slip away. But, with gi, you got no where to slip your sweaty arms :).

Both are worth doing. I'm a gi fan though. People say its unrealistic, but I applied a nice collar choke on my friend whilst he was wearing his dressing gown.

ive also choked a guy out with a collar choke while he was wearing a cotton tshirt.

Gsoares2 said:
ive also choked a guy out with a collar choke while he was wearing a cotton tshirt.

haha, casualwear jiu jitsu is the next big thing.

It depends on your cup of tea. Most people have a preference.

Gi people usually hate losing to people who force through everything with sloppy technique.

No gi people usually hate losing to people who grab the gi to compensate for physical ability.

Find out what bothers you more and choose the other.

Fight_Song said:
i have done gi. not sure where you get your info...
My bad then. The likelyhood that I misread something is high.

But I love both. Been doing BJJ for about a year, and I've done pretty much no no-gi Jiu-Jitsu - maybe 3 or 4 classes. But I'm dropping Judo, so I've got more time and I'll attend no-gi a lot more.

But I do love both. Gi is more technical, with the use of grips on the gi and all. It's also slower paced, because if you make a mistake, the likelyhood of escaping the submission is marginally lower than if you hadn't the gi. So, for me personally, I love the long, drawn out, technical wars that are possible with gi.

No-gi is usually better to watch than gi, because generally the pace is much increased. You can try more in no-gi, because due to the sweat and slipperyness on each person, it's easier to escape submissions.

I'd suggest doing both, but that would be hypocritical of me to suggest so. Though, I'll be doing both soon, so I suggest you do, too.

Commissar said:
haha Try applying a triangle choke in a pair of jeans...

Depending on the tightness, that would be a tuff job. Doing a triangle in short short, now that would be easier & also extra embarassing to your opponent.

Commissar said:
haha Try applying a triangle choke in a pair of jeans...
as long as your not wearing wranglers and your not a fuckin cowboy i dont see a problem doing it with the jeans i wear.

Ive done it... twice

Gsoares2 said:
as long as your not wearing wranglers and your not a fuckin cowboy i dont see a problem doing it with the jeans i wear.

Ive done it... twice
Well, told from experience. I, for one, haven't even attempted it with jeans on.

Hmm.. Both are great. I just think it's much easier to go from gi to nogi then the other way wround.

Fight_Song said:
the term shoulder throw refers to throwing over the shoulder instead of over the hip, not gripping their shoulder to throw them like it might sound.

i hope you dont plan on shoulder throwing someone without a gi.

Do it all the time--over the shoulder.

I love both. Probably do gi more, but got screwed up in the gi division at my last tournament, and took second without the gi.

I was talking over the issue with one of my training partners and we came to the conclusion that gi grappling is kinda like fishing with a fishing pole, and no-gi is like spear fishing. See if you can figure that one out.

Back