gi or no gi

bigdude1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Going to start taking BJJ soon. What's the difference between Gi and No-gi classes?

Whether you wear a gi or not.

Pretty obvious. There is a big difference between the two. No gi is much faster, and it is much harder to get submissions or hold position in no gi. Learn both and have fun!

scorcho said:
Whether you wear a gi or not.

Pretty obvious. There is a big difference between the two. No gi is much faster, and it is much harder to get submissions or hold position in no gi. Learn both and have fun!

How are students ranked in no-gi classes, since no belts are worn?

you earn colored speedos. for ex: minowa is a red belt.

hmm that sucks man.
i train mostly with gi, but i like no-gi better.
maybe you can train no-gi with some of the other students in the weekend or something like that?.

ICONholland said:
hmm that sucks man.
i train mostly with gi, but i like no-gi better.
maybe you can train no-gi with some of the other students in the weekend or something like that?.

my school offers both classes, but it's one or the other!

If you are interested in sub-wrestling or MMA, train no-gi. Gi is only really relevant if you want to compete in sport jiujitsu, or prefer the traditional style.

no-gi is really really fun.

I like it a little bit more than gi style atm because you can get people from a lot of different backgrounds in one room (judoka, bjj cats, wrestlers). It's also a lot more like wrestling than gi bjj is.

And that's stupid that the school says "ONE OR THE OTHER." EFF that s in the a!

I started No-Gi, then went to Gi only recently; sewing patches on my skin started becoming painful.

training both opens up more oppurtunity in competition, as you would be able to enter both tournament formats. Also better for self defense if thats what you're after.

Why is it you cant do both?

instructor says so.

RamiK said:
I started No-Gi, then went to Gi only recently; sewing patches on my skin started becoming painful.

training both opens up more oppurtunity in competition, as you would be able to enter both tournament formats. Also better for self defense if thats what you're after.

Why is it you cant do both?

bigdude1 said:
How are students ranked in no-gi classes, since no belts are worn?
no gi, is usually part of bjj's gi training. think of it as part of the bjj class. unless you go to a school that trains just submission grappling. then you won't be belted.

Training with gi improves your technique by far, than with no gi...

Go gi - but train without from time to time to get the feeling.
Many more techniques you can perform with a Gi than without - and there the answer is...

Change schools if they're forcing you to choose.

Also to answer your question there is no ranking system in No Gi BJJ, your technique is all that matters

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Expert Hobo
Back