GI or NO GI that is the question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swampfrog

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok here it is again! BJJ fanatics Please let me know your thoughts on which is better to train GI or NO GI? I know it depends on what compitions you will enter but for instance the World Cup in Abu Dhabi 2011 will be both. So lets think about it this way which one do you learn better BJJ from?

I also would like to ask who thinks Eddie Bravo should compete in the World Cup this year? It's No GI he should come show his skills! YES OR NO?

i like no gi because it involves more athleticism (not saying gi doesnt just no gi has more scrambles and a lot more speed/strength oriented situations)

You must train both or you will get squished like grape.

Thread dejavu.
Seriously search the forums before posting.

Also Eddie Bravo doesn't compete anymore. Personally I feel that is a smart decision on his part. He might be a good instructor but he would probably get crushed if he came back now. The competition scene has changed a lot since he left.

didn't he get crushed after that one fight he got famous from?

Blatant Gi vs No Gi thread..

Just gonna cause a shitstorm but I'll answer. Both. I think I'm a bit better without the gi but I'm working hard to change that. They're different games but both are awesome. The gi forces one to be a bit more technical and requires a bit less strength and athleticism... In my opinion, that's what makes it so awesome. But no gi is just fcuking fun. I consider no gi to be my dessert at the end of the week :)

Gi > no gi. Just one man's opinion, since you asked.

Bravo would get humiliated at this point. He's 40, and even in his prime, he would get killed by today's guys. He'll never compete again, I promise you that.

my instructor has always been a firm believer that in order to be a competent grappler in no gi, you should focus on gi. He says it helps you learn all of the little details and helps slow down the game. I agree. I know for me personally that when i first started no gi i would simply try to muscle everything and use my wrestling knowledge to try to get an advantage. However, after training gi it has taught me all of the simple details that I was overlooking (control, proper technique, and not using too much muscle). To each his own though, so if you feel more passionate about one or the other than pursue that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back