Gi or No gi.... Pick one!

Gi.

Imagine this. You've been rolling in the gi for a year or so. You're used to having to deal with everyone gripping anything they can to stop you from doing techniques. You're used to having people break your posture using a collar grip. You're used to dealing with collar chokes from every position.

One day you decide to take off your jacket, and do no gi. Suddenly you realize that your opponent cannot hold you back simply because he doesn't have as many grips to slow you down. He cannot break your posture as well because he doesn't have the collar grip. He has no collar chokes at his disposal. Suddenly you realize you can easily slip in chokes better because there isn't as much material. You still have that explosiveness from having to escape bad positions in the gi. Nothing can hold you back.

And as for the street scenario, why do no gi guys assume gi guys only know how to do gi chokes?

Imagine this. You've been rolling in the gi for a year or so. You're used to gripping everything you can to stop your opponents techniques. You're used to breaking your opponents posture using a collar grip. You're used to applying collar chokes from every position.

One day you decide to take off your jacket, and do no gi. Suddenly you realize that you cannot hold your opponent back because you simply do not have enough grips to slow him down. You cannot break his posture as well because you dont have the collar grip. you have no collar chokes at your disposal. Suddenly you realize he can easily slip in chokes because there isn't as much material.

you see where I'm going with this?

I train MMA so I'm going with No-GI, while both are great I find No-Gi to be 100 times more practical for real life.

Absolutely No-Gi.

Trained with Gi one time (just recently), hated it for multiple reasons, and have no intention of doing it again.

I've been training no-gi since 2002, so the whole gi thing was kind of a shocking experience in terms of how different it was....

Last edited:
No Gi is more realistic practice. but i have noticed that i dominate in no gi and i do gi. i am way more technical. gi makes way less scrambles and gets your technique sound

idk why everyone says no gi is more practical. i mean it is for mma but i have never fought a kid in sprawl shorts and no shirt.... just sayin.

idk why everyone says no gi is more practical. i mean it is for mma but i have never fought a kid in sprawl shorts and no shirt.... just sayin.

Ahahaha, owned so hard.
My personal opinion, GI is better for street situations.
No gi gives you better strength and speed at the cost of a little technique.

Imagine this. You've been rolling in the gi for a year or so. You're used to gripping everything you can to stop your opponents techniques. You're used to breaking your opponents posture using a collar grip. You're used to applying collar chokes from every position.

One day you decide to take off your jacket, and do no gi. Suddenly you realize that you cannot hold your opponent back because you simply do not have enough grips to slow him down. You cannot break his posture as well because you dont have the collar grip. you have no collar chokes at your disposal. Suddenly you realize he can easily slip in chokes because there isn't as much material.

you see where I'm going with this?

Yeah, the road to bullshitville.

I'm 100x better NoGi. But I prefer the Gi, it's more of a game.

For the guys who compete (or train) in both sports....

Let's say (hypothetically) that some definitive data is released that states that training in both is counter productive to both....

Well, that will never happen both compliment each other... Mat time is most important regardless of preference.

Ideally, since we are talking hypothetically, training subs and controlling w/ your opponent in no-gi and training sub escapes and counters with your partner in gi would be the shit. Just think how good you could get if you could train submitting without handles and escapes with the added friction of the gi when you counter or escape at the same time.

Maybe have half the class in a gi and the other half in no-gi and then switch after 30 min.

Last edited:
OK I know this is another goddamn gi vs. no-gi thread now.

But I just realized something the other day. After a gi BJJ class I much more exhausted than I am after no-gi training. I use more strength and energy in gi, and gas out much more quickly in gi compared to no-gi. To me, no-gi requires much less strength and energy than gi, and I'm basically not even tired after no-gi class.

Why is that?

It's not because I'm not used to the gi. I'm primarily a gi guy, I'd say at least 95% of my training has been in the gi. My theory is that the increased friction in the gi means that more force is required to execute the techniques. Especially grip breaks, a huge part of my gi game revolves around getting my grips and breaking my opponent's, and breaking a gi grip requires much more force than breaking a skin-on-skin grip. And due to the reduced friction, I can substitute quickness for strength in no-gi much more easily than in gi.

I can roll straigh up till 25-30 minutes pretty hard no gi.. with a gi, after 10 minutes of a hard roll, I will be pretty damn tired, thats because with the gi, you are constantly pulling and griping also breaking grips...

to be honest, I kind of have way more fun no gi, but Im a Gi guy, and will always be, If I have to chose one, I will chose Gi...

Absolutely No-Gi.

Trained with Gi one time (just recently), hated it for multiple reasons, and have no intention of doing it again.

I've been training no-gi since 2002, so the whole gi thing was kind of a shocking experience in terms of how different it was....

yeah, sucks balls to be choked out by a withe belt with a silly collar choke lol

J/k man...:icon_lol:

ADCC 2009 Results
Absolute Braulio Estima Brazil Jiu-Jitsu
Over 99KG Fabricio Werdum Brazil Jiu-Jitsu
Under 99KG Alexandre Ribeiro Brazil Jiu-Jitsu
Under 88KG Braulio Estima Brazil Jiu-Jitsu
Under 77KG Pablo Popovitch Brazil Jiu-Jitsu
Under 66KG Rafael Mendes Brazil Jiu-Jitsu
Women's Over 60KG Hannette Staack Brazil Jiu-Jitsu
Women's Under 60KG Luana Alzuguir Brazil Jiu-Jitsu

Nuff said.

I like both,but I choose Gi,its more hygienic

Disagree. When those dudes who let their gi's fester for 2 months without washing it, trust me, that isn't more hygienic than a little fresh sweat rubbing off on you.

And I like both, but I would train No Gi. It's more realistic, you're not always going to have a gi to rely on to choke someone out with, and I think it's even more challenging due to the sweat factor, no grips, etc. I think you'd become even more technical without one IMO.

When it comes to real life applications of gi/no gi skill sets, I think it's useful to know how to break and deal with another person's grips on YOUR clothing. Someone grabbing the collar of your jacket or trying to pull your shirt over your head (hockey fight style) is hardly uncommon in a lot of brawl scenarios. Also, running into tough guys with a bit of martial arts training is not unheard of, and judo is a very big sport, especially in certain parts of the world. Hell, you could even run into a BJJ practitioner these days. People with some experience in gi grappling are very likely to grab your clothing and use it against you in a fight, and if you have no idea how to deal with it, you might run into some problems.

T-shirts don't work as gi-chokes though, they're not firm enough.

Disagree. When those dudes who let their gi's fester for 2 months without washing it, trust me, that isn't more hygienic than a little fresh sweat rubbing off on you.
lol,

and the nogi homeless person who hasn't taken a shower in 2 years and lives in a cardboard box filled with shit and piss is even worse

lets just assume that people wash gear after each use and shower before each class

gi is more hygenic

lol,

and the nogi homeless person who hasn't taken a shower in 2 years and lives in a cardboard box filled with shit and piss is even worse

lets just assume that people wash gear after each use and shower before each class

gi is more hygenic

Bacteria and shit can grow and flourish in a smelly, unwashed gi. Not so much in no gi.

Back