Gi or No gi.... Pick one!

Gi.

Imagine this. You've been rolling in the gi for a year or so. You're used to having to deal with everyone gripping anything they can to stop you from doing techniques. You're used to having people break your posture using a collar grip. You're used to dealing with collar chokes from every position.

One day you decide to take off your jacket, and do no gi. Suddenly you realize that your opponent cannot hold you back simply because he doesn't have as many grips to slow you down. He cannot break your posture as well because he doesn't have the collar grip. He has no collar chokes at his disposal. Suddenly you realize you can easily slip in chokes better because there isn't as much material. You still have that explosiveness from having to escape bad positions in the gi. Nothing can hold you back.

And as for the street scenario, why do no gi guys assume gi guys only know how to do gi chokes?

I used to like Nogi, until the wrestlers and people with greater strength capatilized on me not being able to grip them.
I am liking Gi better now as the grips help even the game up for me and many more chokeholds are available through the gi.

Training, I prefer gi, competing, no gi. No reason, it's just me.

When it comes to real life applications of gi/no gi skill sets, I think it's useful to know how to break and deal with another person's grips on YOUR clothing. Someone grabbing the collar of your jacket or trying to pull your shirt over your head (hockey fight style) is hardly uncommon in a lot of brawl scenarios. Also, running into tough guys with a bit of martial arts training is not unheard of, and judo is a very big sport, especially in certain parts of the world. Hell, you could even run into a BJJ practitioner these days. People with some experience in gi grappling are very likely to grab your clothing and use it against you in a fight, and if you have no idea how to deal with it, you might run into some problems.

No gi.... Because hundreds and hundreds of hours training gi maneuvers wont help with shit in mma.

that's very unintelligent of you to say and i can almost bet that you don't fight in MMA and if you do I bet you won't be very good, if you aren't already.

I choose Gi :icon_evil

I like training in Gi, it's fun to use the collar and gi for a Judo throw and then jumping over without letting go for a Gi choke.

No-gi seems more practical though for MMA type training.

Yeah OK I get that but if we're gonna do "would you rathers," there are a lot more interesting and original ones than "gi or no-gi?"

Like, "Would you rather have to wear your gi inside-out every time you train, or be forced to say Steve Urkel's catchphrase "Did I do that?" after every time you get a submission?"

That is probably the funniest thing I've read today. I'm going to start to say "Did I do that?" every time I tap someone.

Also, for the record, I'd choose Gi. There's nothing that you can do nogi that you can't do with a gi, except the gi makes it harder to pull off cause of all the friction/fabric. I mean, a lot of folk bring up MMA and what have you, but why can't you spar your MMA grappling gameplan with a gi on?

Last edited:
going to go with GI here

oh-look-its-this-thread-again.jpg

No-Gi. It's more realist for a real life situation or MMA.

Where you are, yes.

Where I am, a gi is much more realistic to real life.

Regardless of where I was though, I'd chose gi. I just prefer it.

Gi.

Imagine this. You've been rolling in the gi for a year or so. You're used to having to deal with everyone gripping anything they can to stop you from doing techniques. You're used to having people break your posture using a collar grip. You're used to dealing with collar chokes from every position.

One day you decide to take off your jacket, and do no gi. Suddenly you realize that your opponent cannot hold you back simply because he doesn't have as many grips to slow you down. He cannot break your posture as well because he doesn't have the collar grip. He has no collar chokes at his disposal. Suddenly you realize you can easily slip in chokes better because there isn't as much material. You still have that explosiveness from having to escape bad positions in the gi. Nothing can hold you back.

And as for the street scenario, why do no gi guys assume gi guys only know how to do gi chokes?

I like how you act like that strictly no gi guys have a shittier guard because they don't have handles. :icon_conf

To answer the TS' question, I would say I like no gi much more. It just feels so much more fluid to me.

Wrestled in HS.

Do primarily Gi now with NoGi once a week. I do not find that training in the Gi to be a hinderance in self-defense situation because I instinctively know when to grab a wrist or sleeve. At night, most people are wearing jeans anyways.

So my answer is, if one or the other, I choose Gi.

Back