Gi Options for Short

Quirked

White Belt
Reaction score
I know most of you here are men, but perhaps you have a teammate/girlfriend who has my build, or an ill-fitting gi that would fit me better?

I’ve been training about a year now and I’ve tried more than my fair share of gis in that time period, none of which fit me particularly well. So far, my regular-weight fuji (my first cheap starter gi) is actually my favorite. Go figure.

My stats are as follows: I’m 5’1, 155lbs, and pretty hourglass. Here’s a reference photo, (I’m in a sports bra that’s smushing me, pretend they’re a bit bigger). http://i.imgur.com/G1Zfj.jpg

My biggest problem with men’s gis (except the arm/pants length, which is easily fixable), is that the shoulders are HUGE on me. I apparently have a large chest, but rather narrow shoulders. In the most dramatic of cases, like my Keiko Raca, the shoulders are so big that they fall down my arms, pinning them to my sides when I’m mounted etc.

Women’s gis should solve that problem, right? Yes, but slim cut in the shoulders apparently means slim cut everywhere else too. Women’s gis that fit my shoulders are completely lacking the fabric to cover me width-wise. I could certainly lose a few pounds in my stomach, but 6 inches isn’t going to disappear off my chest.

So what’s a girl to do? I am more than willing to spend the money for a quality gi, provided it fits me correctly. But I’ve read every review I can get my hands on, and it seems like reviews from girls with my body type are hard to come by. Companies that make custom gis would also work.

(Gis I’ve tried- Keiko Raca, Fuji single weave and lightweight, Women’s Atama, Fenom Lotus, Women’s Forca, the official “alliance” gi, which I think may also be a Keiko, Women’s Dragao Hana, Black Eagle Predadora)

Last edited:
Curvy ???

Hourglass ???

A pic in a nurse's shift ???

Why do chicks do that to themselves ?

Ronin insignia possibly. I would contact them and ask them.

do you need it to be competition legal? If not, I have a few companies I could suggest that might cater more to your build. Bu Jin gis are popular for the body type you describe, if you don't mind the gi being a more traditional judo fit -- because really, if you buy a BJJ gi and it doesn't fit correctly, you're going to have issues with gapping regardless.

Personally, I'm 5'6", 130 lbs, with a 34C chest, and I have some of the same problems you do when it comes to trying to find gis that meet height/weight distribution. I like the fit of my fuji summerweight gi, and I have mixed impressions of my Fushida TOURNAMENT gi. Have you checked out their women's model, the Fushida COMP LS? It has a more flexible height/weight range.

Have you considered trying the Fuji Pink Blossom? The cut is slightly different, and fits me better than the Victory and Summerweight. The sleeves an pants are also slightly shorter. I know some women don't want pink on their gis, but it is nice looking. I, too, am on a.search for a better fitting gi, so I know your frustration! (I am 5'10", 204, however.)

I just ordered a CTRL Industries Aloha. I was just checking the size chart for you, and they sell a A0X, listed as fitting 5'1-5'5, 135-150. My understanding, however, is that it is not a women's cut gi. (I may have misunderstood the owner when I was talking with him.)

In short: http://gireviews.net/womens-gi-reviews/

Julias-Gi-011-2-213x300.jpg

GiReviews is looking to become the top site for women's gi reviews and we're well on our way. We'll be posting about 10-15 more women's reviews in the coming weeks.

do you need it to be competition legal? If not, I have a few companies I could suggest that might cater more to your build. Bu Jin gis are popular for the body type you describe, if you don't mind the gi being a more traditional judo fit -- because really, if you buy a BJJ gi and it doesn't fit correctly, you're going to have issues with gapping regardless.

Personally, I'm 5'6", 130 lbs, with a 34C chest, and I have some of the same problems you do when it comes to trying to find gis that meet height/weight distribution. I like the fit of my fuji summerweight gi, and I have mixed impressions of my Fushida TOURNAMENT gi. Have you checked out their women's model, the Fushida COMP LS? It has a more flexible height/weight range.

As for now it doesn't have to be competition legal, (I've got a sternum injury that will probably take another 6mo-1year to heal), but eventually it would be nice when I do decide to compete.

I have a Fuji summerweight, and while it fit me nicely when I started, I've lost 10 lbs, (and gained some muscle, probably), and I'm swimming in it now. I could try it in an A1 and see how that goes.
I love the look of the fushida, but if I recall correctly the one review I read said it was probably better for the pear shaped. I'm a 34F, so the second I saw "pear shaped" I just closed the tab. Why do you have mixed impressions on it?

Ronin insignia possibly. I would contact them and ask them.

A purple belt at my gym who's about 5'5 wears a Ronin, I never thought to ask him how it fit. Thanks!

Have you considered trying the Fuji Pink Blossom? The cut is slightly different, and fits me better than the Victory and Summerweight. The sleeves an pants are also slightly shorter. I know some women don't want pink on their gis, but it is nice looking. I, too, am on a.search for a better fitting gi, so I know your frustration! (I am 5'10", 204, however.)

I wrote it off for a long time because of the pink, but honestly I'm desperate enough to try it. We'd probably fit into the same cut of gi, just different sizes, see if anyone in this thread gave a link that helps you?

I just ordered a CTRL Industries Aloha. I was just checking the size chart for you, and they sell a A0X, listed as fitting 5'1-5'5, 135-150. My understanding, however, is that it is not a women's cut gi. (I may have misunderstood the owner when I was talking with him.)

I was actually just on their site, they're sold out of the A0X, and from what I can tell that's the only model that comes in that size. Rageeeeeeeeeeeeee! I was going to email the owner about it though, so thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really, really appreciate it!

I wrote it off for a long time because of the pink, but honestly I'm desperate enough to try it. We'd probably fit into the same cut of gi, just different sizes, see if anyone in this thread gave a link that helps you?

I was actually just on their site, they're sold out of the A0X, and from what I can tell that's the only model that comes in that size. Rageeeeeeeeeeeeee! I was going to email the owner about it though, so thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really, really appreciate it!

I have received lots of feedback over the past many months. :) I fall into the size charts for pants, but I need a size smaller in the top. The problem is my favorite looking gis don't offer split sizing! That sucks they are out of the A0X! When I get mine, I'll follow up here to let you know about the fit, if it helps you any.

As far as the Pink Blossom goes, I'm not a fan of all-pink gis, but I like girly touches. :) It really is pretty. I picked it up when it first came out, and received lots of compliments on it from guys and girls. It feels like the Victory, but has a few nice touches like seam tape. Size-wise, my A4 summerweight's sleeves are too long now, but I can still wear the W4 because of the slightly shorter sleeves. (I've lost a lot of weight, and actually started out in Fuji A6 pants in Aug 2011!!!)

Also check out an F2 in Da Firma. I've considered trying them, and I think they do custom gis as well. I've heard good things about their fit. http://shop.dafirmabjj.com/WOMENS-KIMONO-BLUE-PINK-WOMENS-BLUE-PINK.htm

What did you think about the Fenom? I have not tried my blue one, yet, as I plan on writing a full review. I think the thinner collar may end up being a deal breaker for me, but we will see once I use it.

I love the look of the fushida, but if I recall correctly the one review I read said it was probably better for the pear shaped. I'm a 34F, so the second I saw "pear shaped" I just closed the tab. Why do you have mixed impressions on it?

It's well-made, but constrictive. I felt it fit better pre-wash, though the pants are probably the best I've owned. If you like a stiff lapel, it's one to consider. (This was the tournament judo model.) The fuji I own is size A-1, and the sleeve and pant length is perfect on my 5'6" rame. I think there's some leeway with chest size -- I definitely have material to spare when I cross the lapels fully. It's a solid option.

I know the Predora has very wide pants. So if females are curvy on the bottom, go with those. The Kingz in contrast are much more tailored to a thinner female. The Predora in same size is crazy wide for my gf.

You may want to give John Ouano at Ouano Int'l a call or shoot him an e-mail.
http://ouano.com/custom.htm
Basically, you send him your body measurements and a combination of measurements of the parts of your gis that fit you well (ex: the arm length of one gi, the body of another gi, pant length of yet another gi, etc.) and he will make a gi for you from scratch. I am in between most gi sizes, so I had one made by him and it's my absolute favorite gi. It's a very high quality gi and only a little bit more expensive than Shoyoroll, and about the same price as an Atama Mundial #9 gi. You won't be disappointed.

I just wanted to get back with you about the Aloha. Not sure if it will help you in your research, but the A3 CTRL Industries Aloha fit a lot like the A3 Shoyoroll Charles Lew v3. The Aloha, however, was even bigger in the upper arms and armpit area. The sleeves were just as long. I am returning it and am selling the Shoyoroll.

I may be trying custom Da Firma next, depending on how much I can customize it. I haven't decided for sure. The owner lives 5min from my gym and is willing to let me try one on! How is that for great luck!

Back