Gi Help?

BigDiggs11

White Belt
Reaction score
I started taking jiu-jitsu classes and I particpated in a gi class and really enjoyed it. I'm saving up money to purchase a gi and I was wondering about the whole shrinking your gi and the pre-shrunk difference? I'm 5,9 260 so I was told I'm going to need an A5 top and proably A4/A5 pants and have em taylored. If anyone can shed some light on any cheap Gis in larger sizes and if I should shrink them or buy em pre-shrunk, I'd appreciate it.

I started taking jiu-jitsu classes and I particpated in a gi class and really enjoyed it. I'm saving up money to purchase a gi and I was wondering about the whole shrinking your gi and the pre-shrunk difference? I'm 5,9 260 so I was told I'm going to need an A5 top and proably A4/A5 pants and have em taylored. If anyone can shed some light on any cheap Gis in larger sizes and if I should shrink them or buy em pre-shrunk, I'd appreciate it.

I have no idea on sizing other than my own.

But I would recommend Fuji Single weave A5 for 2 reasons.

First is a best bang for you buuck gi. At under $70, you can't beat the price. You dont want to spend $200 bucks on a gi only to find out it doesn't fit right.

Second the Fuji Single weave shrink like crazy! So you can shrink it to fit, and then just cold wash and hang dry once you get it to the size that fits you best, if it fits you right out of bag, i would recommend just cold wash and hang dry. But if its to big, don't worry because it will shrink plenty.

I recommend Padilla & Sons. Under $100 for a quality gi. :icon_chee

depending on how much you really like bjj and how much you are gonna stay commited at it... theres a chance that you will lose weight, so i wouldnt really worry about shrinking BECAUSE it will be your first gi

Back