Gi for bigger guys?

mauasci

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm almost 6.1' tall and weight 205-210lbs with a 32-34 waist. What are the BJJ gi brands recommended for bigger guys? I need something that won't be too tight or the shoulders and chest area while not being too lose on the waist.

Thanks.

51 views and no reply yet?:icon_chee

Not a whole lot of big guys around I guess.

I did do some research but found mixed opinions. It seems Koral is one of the best suited for muscular guys, but some say Koral and Vulkan are the same cut and made by the same company, while myself I am more fond of Atamas, but heard Atamas are better for lanky guys. Could anybody add anything?

You're not even a "bigger"guy. You're like right in the middle of most A3s.

I glanced at this post thinking you would be 300plus lbs. yeah you should fall in an A3 or A4 on most gi companies size charts just contact the company you want to grab a gi from.

im 6'3" 218lbs and i fall into an A4 in my size chart.

mike @ Gorilla Fight Gear

Well, I didn't mean bigger as in tall but rather in size. 6.3 at 218lbs is technically smaller than 6 at 210lbs (BMI).
For example, I can never buy off the rack suits because they will never fit. They will either be too tight in the shoulders and chest or too lose on the waist. So it is not a case of what size but a matter of cut. I know that height and weight wise I would fall in a A3 but 2 different people at 6' tall and 210lbs can have 2 very different looking bodies. I just don't want a gi that will be tight around my shoulders and back and dig in my armpits or one that will be totally lose on the torso.

So it's not just a matter of looking up height and weight on a size charting and going with a A3. Different manufactures have different cuts even if they all call it A3 size.

Last edited:
I think you would love Padilla & Sons gold weaves. :D

Thanks. But I think I will just go with a Koral. It seems to be the most fitting for my type of body according to the research I did. Maybe it's not coincidence that most of the muscular BJJ players like Arona, Roberto Cyborg etc seem to wear Korals. I like Atamas too but most people say they are a better fit for skinny guys and so is Fushida.

I feel like this thread could have easily been avoided if you had bothered to look at some sizing charts, which should have been everywhere you were browsing for gis...

Fushida...could just give them all your measurements and get something that fits you correctly. If you are overly worried about it.

In the last month i added a Gi Fitting page to our site to better help people fit in our products. it's great if people have a gi to compare with but it's hard if they just send in there numbers as the database isn't that big yet.

yeah your right i may be 6'3" 218-220lb but i'm sure a professional bodybuilder of the same height and weight would have issues fitting with a A4. contact the koral or atama and see if they can help you with sizing

Last edited:
I feel like this thread could have easily been avoided if you had bothered to look at some sizing charts, which should have been everywhere you were browsing for gis...

And I feel like you have not read the thread before posting, so I will just quote myself from 2 posts above:

...it's not just a matter of looking up height and weight on a size chart and going with a A3. Different manufactures have different cuts even if they all call it A3 size.
So it is not a case of what size but a matter of cut. I know that height and weight wise I would fall in a A3 but 2 different people at 6' tall and 210lbs can have 2 very different looking bodies. I just don't want a gi that will be tight around my shoulders and back and dig in my armpits or one that will be totally lose on the torso.

Fushida...could just give them all your measurements and get something that fits you correctly. If you are overly worried about it.

Thanks. I've been reading that Fushida works with you to try and fit you and even sells different size pants and jacket in the same set. I might give them a shot.

yeah your right i may be 6'3" 218-220lb but i'm sure a professional bodybuilder of the same height and weight would have issues fitting with a A4. contact the koral or atama and see if they can help you with sizing

Yeah, I just don't want a gi that will look like a sack on me just because I have to get a larger size to fit around my shoulders and back.

ya I was gonna say, your not even that big... An A3 from any brand should fit you fine. I am 6'1" 250lbs, and I am on the edge of a A4 of most brands but Koral and Vulkan fit nice same with a Shoyoroll A5.

250lbs but how big is your waist?

Thanks. But I think I will just go with a Koral. It seems to be the most fitting for my type of body according to the research I did. Maybe it's not coincidence that most of the muscular BJJ players like Arona, Roberto Cyborg etc seem to wear Korals. I like Atamas too but most people say they are a better fit for skinny guys and so is Fushida.

P&S is great for muscular guys with big shoulders and arms. :icon_chee

Gameness platinum in A3 would do it. I bought it being 6'1 and 165 because it fit my length and it was on craigslist for 40 bucks as my first gi. It was most certainly cut for a bigger guy has a great collar against chokes and would fit your waist requirements and being the same height as me the length is great.

we just started to bring in bigger bjj gis for beefy guys and gals to test the market. I'm going to see if our A5 Superbeefy gi will fit a guy that's between the 350-400lb range. now that's a gi for bigger guys

Back