Gi etiquette.

Zaragoza

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm moving to Boston at the end of this month, and probably gonna join up at Boston BJJ. I've currently been training under a really good Judo instructor here, and formed a close bond, my gi which i've been competing with in BJJ and Judo tournaments is one of my instructor's old one's, and it has a large patch on the back with his school name, and address and whatnot. Is it rude for me to train at a new place in a new state across the country with a patch promoting my old dojo?

Depends with the instructor.

I competed in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu several times before starting up Judo, and I used my competition gi for the first few months in Judo (because it was the thickest I have, and white). Unfortunately, it has a huge 'Marcus Soares Competition Team' patch on the back, and not to mention two Atama Jiu-Jitsu patches on each arm sleave. My Judo school found it impressive, but not once were they offended. I did check with the instructor beforehand.

But I recommend you get your hands on another gi/kimono as soon as you can, though.

if you are moving for good and are going to train there, id say take off the patch. you'll have to do it eventually. imo, rolling around with another school's patch for months will look stupid. no need for a new gi.....actually, i think ive used that excuse to get a new gi in the past, so if you're a gear-whore like me maybe you should do it.

Just buy a new BJJ gi. I doubt they will be offended, I'm sure maybe he thinks it might have to do with financial problems. Just save the gi so you can remember your Judo school. You can get a HCK single weave, they are cheap.

Good luck.

Well i'm transferring colleges over there. I'll be going back and forth and training at both places pending on where i'm going to be during that time of the year. Would it look stupid to have another patch with the other school on there? Two conflicting schools? Just looking for options here, because I really do have some attachment, however silly that might seem to the gi. Sidenote, does anyone know of posters here who train at Boston BJJ, or any other school in Boston for that matter?

Zaragoza said:
Well i'm transferring colleges over there. I'll be going back and forth and training at both places pending on where i'm going to be during that time of the year. Would it look stupid to have another patch with the other school on there? Two conflicting schools? Just looking for options here, because I really do have some attachment, however silly that might seem to the gi. Sidenote, does anyone know of posters here who train at Boston BJJ, or any other school in Boston for that matter?
Get two gis. I wouldn't put two conflicting school emblems on one gi.

the only bjj blackbelt instructor i personally know up there in boston is david ginsberg, who heads the btt boston school, silver medalist in blackbelt at the pan-ams. not sure where he is located. he did a seminar at nyu bjj club and was really good.

im in your exact situation man, at school for most of the year but home on christmas and easter and a couple weeks in the summer. i have 2 gi's with school patches on them, one for each and i dont usually mismatch. i dont put school patches on my favorite (most used) gi's so i can use them interchangably. ive got 4 gi's if you didnt do the math, which isnt a lot by most standards. are you new to the sport? if you are, but are serious about it, maybe you should invest in a couple more gi's. gameness is my favorite, but ive got a dragao sitting in the box at home that im gonna get to unleash next week that may take its place.

Yeah, I think that might be the best idea. Just wear the associated gi when i'm going to that school.

are you new to the sport? if you are, but are serious about it, maybe you should invest in a couple more gi's. gameness is my favorite, but ive got a dragao sitting in the box at home that im gonna get to unleash next week that may take its place.

I'm relatively new. I've competed in a couple competitions and took second in the first comp., first in the second comp. I'll have to check out that school, I really want to sharpen up my BJJ game, because my current instructor focuses more on Judo, and mount. He teaches some from the guard, but doesn't really focus on it. I really want to improve on my guard game. Become more well-rounded. I think I might wait until I go to the school to order the gi, I like ordering through a school, just so they can get a bit of profit off it.

well, if thats what you're looking for, he's your man. he mainly plays a butterfly guard, and his self-proclaimed tournment strategy is always butterfly guard > sweep > top control/submission. a good guy and im friends with a purple belt under him who has a well developed guard game as well.

as for the gi, get it anywhere you want, by all means, i was just suggesting the brands i like the most. some instructors will get you a nice discount.

Commissar said:
Get two gis. I wouldn't put two conflicting school emblems on one gi.

Commissar did you train in Florida under Delcides?
I knew a guy there who did judo and had a marcus soares jiu jitsu gi.

Great. Thanks for the advice. I'll do a search on the school now and look into it.

Gsoares2 said:
Commissar did you train in Florida under Delcides?
I knew a guy there who did judo and had a marcus soares jiu jitsu gi.
Nah, I've only ever trained in Kelowna and Vancouver. But there are Marcus Soares guys everywhere...

i trained at boston bjj for a few years a while back. real friendly, laid back atmosphere. most likely no one would give you any trouble for wearing your old gi there... but if youre changing schools permanently, why not take off the patch?

Well, some instructors will be anal and get upset if you wear the gi probably. I once had a JJ instructor who got pissed whenever someone stepped off the mat to get a drink of water or rinse their mouthguards (had to ask him first before we stepped off the mat. What kind of helter skelter is that? Shit).

We have a guy at my place who wears his Gi inside out, even though the instructor doesn't really care.

Soid said:
Just buy a new BJJ gi. I doubt they will be offended, I'm sure maybe he thinks it might have to do with financial problems. Just save the gi so you can remember your Judo school. You can get a HCK single weave, they are cheap.

Good luck.

yep. i have an HCK single and i love it. $60.

Back