Gi brand for small skinny guys

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by matzah, Oct 11, 2010.

1. matzah

matzah Blue Belt

I'm 5'9'' and 135lbs

The gi sizing charts is always confusing for me. I don't want a gi that is the right length but insanely baggy (like my current A3 Fuji) but I also don't want a tighter fitting gi that the sleeves only go to my elbow.

Is there a brand of gi that is a better fit for skinnier guys? Any idea on the perfect gi sizing for me? (Shrinking an A3 = me being lost in a sea of gi fabric). I remember hearing a brown belt who is about my size to get an A1 (he has an A1 atama) if that is the case I want to get the A1 red rooster that is for sale on budovideos haha

Any help is appreciated

2. jimbjj

jimbjj White Belt

I'd also like an answer to this question if anyone has any advise.

3. Mitchell

Mitchell Yellow Belt

Try Fushida, I'm 5'11" 155 lbs and an A1X fits me great. Judging by that you could probably go with an A1, maybe even A0. You really shouldn't be wearing an A3 at 135 lbs.
    Anyways, send Christo at Fushida a message and he'll let you know what will fit you best.
    There are other options for skinny guys but I own a Fushida and love it so that's what I'm recommending.

4. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

fushida komodo. i'm 5'7 145 and the a1 is perfect on me. the a1x is for the lankier guys and i'm sure it will fit you great.

5. dizzydean

dizzydean Blue Belt

Try Breakpoint. So far I love the fit. I think Koral might suit you as well.

6. SoulWound666

SoulWound666 KWJR

Don't take this the wrong way, but at 5'9 and 135 pounds you probably don't need to worry about a gi fitting too tight, and should instead focus on the height recommendation in the size chart of whatever company you're looking at.

Budovideos.com - Fuji BJJ Black Single Weave Gi

If you look at Fuji's size chart, you should have probably gotten an A2. You're right at the upper end of the height and the lower end of the weight so you could shrink it a bit for a perfect fit.

You might be an A1, or an A2 depending on the company. Look closer at the height on the size chart, focus less on the weight as it probably won't be that much of an issue for you since you're probably on the lower end of the weight requirement for whatever size accommodates your height.

7. Ls1PWR

Ls1PWR White Belt

exactly, im 5'8 150lbs with long arms and i own a white A2 Fuji which fits me awesome. i also own an a3 black fuji which was bought because i heard the black/blue fuji's run a little small. that was a big mistake, even after being thrown in the drier on high heat the sleeves shrunk up nicely, but the torso was still too big and im 15+lbs heavier then u are. a2 is the way to go, or the fushida a1x.

8. Shinedown88

Shinedown88 Orange Belt

I'm 5'8 134lbs I own a black fuji A2 (shrunk) and it's short on me. I can compete in local tournaments but never a IBJJ

I also own 2 gameness single weaves (also shrunk) they fit better and might pass for a IBJJ tournament.

9. Camgracie

Camgracie Yellow Belt

Fuji A2 will fit you im 6 feet, around 135 lbs and it fits good. or a fushida a1x i l probably buy one of them

10. ptrinidad

ptrinidad White Belt

What type of gi do you like?
    If you like something lighter, check out the Gameness Feather. I'm 5'9" too and weigh 140lbs. I wear an A2 and it fits me perfect.
    Check it out here Gameness Feather
    Don't forget to enter the coupon code KORAL for a discount.
    For something a little heavier, I recommend the Atama Mundial 9. I also have an A2 and it fits kinda the same on me. The length of the sleeves and pants are perfect and it's not too tight.
    Atama Mundial 9
    Again, you can enter the coupon code KORAL for a discount.

Also, I do use a dryer on my gis. Although they are labelled pre-shrunk, it took a couple of washes before they settled in their size. Once they I did, it was perfect.

11. ptrinidad

ptrinidad White Belt

For something light, try the Gameness Feather. I'm pretty much the same exact size as you. 5'9" 140 lbs. I wear an A2, and I dry my gi every time I wash it. After shrinking, it fits me perfect.
    If you want something a little heavier, I recommend the Atama Mundial 9. This is where I got mine
    Bjj Gis
    You can enter the coupon code Koral for a discount