Gi as opp to no gi- more strength involved

tudor_bjj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I do no gi most of the time. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't use strength... cause I don't have it, although I'm not that little (83 kg, 1.83 m). Plus, I have a really bad back problem and bridiging rarely comes into my game. I've noticed that using the gi makes me (and other people) use more strength esp. when it comes to holding the grips. There is no part in my no gi game where I use the amount of strength (although I'm not holding for dear life) that I use in holding for ex. the sleeve when playing spider. The same thing I felt when I rolled both gi and no gi with a brown from Gracie Barra (I'm a blue, btw). In no gi he was flowing more and not using the strength to pull me (he was using a lot the spider). And one more ex. comes in my mind: the fingers of the majority of the "gi" guys. They got those "damaged" fingers from using grips. Do you guys ever felt the same?

I hear what you are saying dude my fingers get hammered if i have a hard session with the gi.

Yeah with Gi it's all about grip...

Yeah you just have to know when to grip, how hard you are going to grip and such. So many people hold on for dear life when there is nothing there. And I find that pistol grip burns my grip less than catspaw. But I think you can't say gi users use more strength, it's subjective.

I agree. I really do like nogi a lot more than gi. Faster, slicker...just plain better.

im the oppsite i like gi better. Its more precise..
No gi is just easier to get out of submissions. Ive notice the guys who like no-gi better, have the worst submission defense. They dont know what to do in a gi.. They get stuck and cant just yank away and slip out.

My hands always hurt.. i train 5 days a week. Its not to bad while i train or during the day.. Its in the morning right after i wake up, Its like my hands are frozen and have to dethaw for 5-10 minutes before they can be used.

Only time i use alot of strength for grips ont he gi is when im atacking chokes. Spider guard doesnt use that much strength.. Use one arm to controll the sleeve them other to control the arm.. saves your hands. If they try to yank away set them up for omo-platta.

Im not a smaller guy though. I try to never use my strength and dont have much trouble doing so.. Except when a bigger guy trys to pass my guard.
im 6'2 215

Weird, I find no-gi involves more strength.

Maybe it's because I roll no-gi with a bunch of wrestling types and gi with BJJers.

Having said that, there are those at my BJJ club who rely on strength (and all it does is allow them to stall slightly).

Where and how you grip is *really* important. Most newbies don't realise this. I had to explain to one musclehead over and over again that grabbing my lapels in a death grip and trying to bridge me off the mount was going to get him nowhere.

The main places I grip are the collar, behind the elbows, the knees (when passing), and the end of the sleeves. If I forgot an important one, let me know.

My hands may go a *little* numb after I battle for a choke but other than that they're fine.

yeah no gi has more strength involved look at the wrestlers.

they are built like gymnastics people.

must be the way your doing BJJ. I train with the gi, but I hardly use the gi
so I have no idea!

Yeah after a tournament in which i fight 3 or 4 fights, my forearms are friggin solid and burning even though I dont realize it fighting, I"m using alot of strength. its crazy

Gsoares2 said:
im the oppsite i like gi better. Its more precise..
No gi is just easier to get out of submissions. Ive notice the guys who like no-gi better, have the worst submission defense. They dont know what to do in a gi.. They get stuck and cant just yank away and slip out.

My hands always hurt.. i train 5 days a week. Its not to bad while i train or during the day.. Its in the morning right after i wake up, Its like my hands are frozen and have to dethaw for 5-10 minutes before they can be used.

Only time i use alot of strength for grips ont he gi is when im atacking chokes. Spider guard doesnt use that much strength.. Use one arm to controll the sleeve them other to control the arm.. saves your hands. If they try to yank away set them up for omo-platta.

Im not a smaller guy though. I try to never use my strength and dont have much trouble doing so.. Except when a bigger guy trys to pass my guard.
im 6'2 215
I think no gi is more precise... or should be when you know what you have to do. You don't rely on the grips and it doesn't slow your game and thus making you more tight and precise. Not everybody plays a fast game in no gi and I think that this is a misconception. You can be slow and tight in no gi, too. And I think you have to, if you don't want to give him the space that he can get easier than if you were rolling with the gi. It's true that easier to get out of subs, but with gi it's easier to escape mount, turtle etc.

Back