GHR w/o GHR Apparatus

theNuge

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My gym of course doesn't have a GHR apparatus. How can I do GHR's without an apparatus and without a partner?

I use the back extension bench thing (only works for ones parallel to ground, not 45 degree).

Set the length of the pad shorter than normal, and add extra padding on top.

This probably doesn't make sense...

Lay on the floor on your stomach and put your feet under something or have someone hold them down.

Your could always build your own like Fatty Von Wilhelm.

I can try that next time. How much weight do you use?

On the bar or for GHRs? I just started doing these last week so I just did the GHRs with bw, and on my barbell I just put a 20 kilo plate on each side and little 2.5's under it so it doesn't slide around.

I don't find the vid, saw it on fortified iron.

Check this one:

YouTube - Glute Ham Raise

I do not use the hands for a push, but hold the pulley via a rope, so the weight supports me. I like it much better than pushing from the ground since I can slowly lean into a horizontal position.

Check youtube for ghetto GHRs. Also pay attention to that female volleyballer doing ghrs, it's a sexy vid. Just in case... :)

Hope this helps.

I don't know what there are.

Does he have a thread that describes how he did this?

Thanks for all the responses guys. I definitely have enough to try when I go to the gym next.

i used to wedge my feet under the smith machine bar to do these, not great but worked ok

i think i better get back into them soon

Some good suggestions in here - I have been trying to think of a good substitute for the GHR, and now I have them.

bump to the lat machine GHR.

My knees hurt a bit if I get the wrong angle though.

Also, for a bonus, try reverse hypers on a standing preacher curl.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oa6Ai5ty6oY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oa6Ai5ty6oY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

that is all.

Also, for a bonus, try reverse hypers on a standing preacher curl.

How do you weight these?

Also, are natural GHR like these any better than leg curls? Without the GHR bench it seems like the movement is identical.

How do you weight these?

Also, are natural GHR like these any better than leg curls? Without the GHR bench it seems like the movement is identical.
Either resistance bands or weights held between the ankles - I wouldn't hold the weights between the knees or thighs because the benefit comes at the bottom of the movement.

The basic rank of USEFUL ham development is supposed to go something like this:
  1. GHRs on a machine.
  2. SLDLs/Romanian DLs
  3. Natural GHRs
  4. Squats
  5. Leg Curls
Actually, there are some things that could come between Squats and Leg Curls, but they're mostly OLY lifts and I was listing PL stuff.

Personally, I think sprints and jumping plyos would even be better than Leg Curls, but I must admit that I still do them from time to time.

This thread seriously delivers. Thanx everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back