Social Ghosting huge problem for companies today.

<Dany07>

Take it from a lifer in that prison: Retail is not the job you take if you want to avoid stress. It's boring, the hours are long and the pay isn't good. And worst of all, by orders of magnitude, there are the customers. Want to see Karens in their natural habitat? Go to your nearest super-store. Customers won't hesitate to treat retail staff like a piece of shit stuck to their boots. Because they know the company doesn't give a fuck about the staff, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Want to create a serial killer, terrorist or hit man? Make them work full time in a large store in any major city. Bonus points for making them work the run up to Christmas. Give it six months and the Retail FNG will be almost completely devoid of empathy and compassion. After a while, you can do the actual job on autopilot, and you spend a lot of your time lost in dark fantasies. Hell, I've spent a lot of shifts war-gamming terrorist attacks that would make 9/11 look like Amateur Night at Dixie;)

Kinda not my business but you in uk so plenty of other job possibilities

Well don't get me wrong some company's are complete shit and of course they will profit from a person as much as they can. But that is a defeatist attitude in my eyes. I have switched to several different company's as I don't settle for stag net positions and pay. The supervisors should get paid more, I have seen this at company's where someone comes in the same position I am in and makes more money even though I been in the role longer. My solution was to leave the company and find more money. Your offer letter is your negotiations in a mutually agreeing partnership with your company. But after that unless you move up to another title or big promotion you won't ever get much more money for your annual pay, maybe 1-3% raise which is BS. You have to think why does a business exist ? there is someone out there risking their high amount of money investing in a business because they are trying to make money. That doesn't always pan out like Enron.... The CEO getting money and bonuses is what they negotiated and earned don't be mad at them. Actors get paid way more money for way less real work CEO's often stress so much, lose their hair and work 50+ hours a week. I find it more concerning company's like Apple have slave labor in China and slave labor in the mines for the phones chips... Then them barley paying American min pay. Inflation is up and the pay is not keeping up with that but if the feds demand more pay everyone cost will go up as the whole purpose of a business (usually) is to profit as much as acceptable. Hope my ramblings make sense, ever thought about working overseas for the DoD with your skills? That is how I got out of debt and bought some nice things. Working in the Middle East 84 hours a week.
I don't begrudge the CEO his pay. It's just evidence that the company isn't struggling.

This company is actually a good place to work overall. My position specifically is just misunderstood and under-compensated due to the changes it's undergone in recent years. We actually had a big issue with new guys coming in making more than the current guys. I was one of the new guys making more. The current guys threw a fit and ended up getting a mass pay adjustment 1.5 years later.

I generally agree with your mindset. That's why in addition to shitty employers, I also mentioned jaded and entitled employees.

No, I have no interest in working overseas. I'm doing pretty well now. I've got a wife and kids and my only debt is my mortgage. I recently interviewed for a different job (same company, though). I'm not the first or last in what I expect to be an exodus out of this department. The interview went well. Assuming I get an offer, it will be a raise and a better schedule.

Oh I don't disagree at all. I'm just stating that this is what you get with unfettered capitalism. If you want to live in a society where a tiny percentage of people own the vast majority of the wealth and everybody else works for them and earns enough to just scrape by, then here you go. I guess that means America won, right?

You consider $14 an hour a livable wage in California? What the fuck are you smoking?
That's hardly a point in favor of the "unfettered capitalism" argument. If a state has been so overregulated and overtaxed that the cost of living and cost to run a business are too high for a young person making $35k to survive, that is the opposite of unfettered capitalism, it's overregulation.

Huh?

Edit: if you're asking if I think choosing not to get a COVID vaccine makes you entitled, I would say no.

There are tons of people who feel entitled to keep their jobs when employers are mandating vaccine and they refuse to get it. Rather than just quit they are suing. Google lawsuit over mandate. You'll be shocked how many entitled workers there are.

<Dany07>

Take it from a lifer in that prison: Retail is not the job you take if you want to avoid stress. It's boring, the hours are long and the pay isn't good. And worst of all, by orders of magnitude, there are the customers. Want to see Karens in their natural habitat? Go to your nearest super-store. Customers won't hesitate to treat retail staff like a piece of shit stuck to their boots. Because they know the company doesn't give a fuck about the staff, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Want to create a serial killer, terrorist or hit man? Make them work full time in a large store in any major city. Bonus points for making them work the run up to Christmas. Give it six months and the Retail FNG will be almost completely devoid of empathy and compassion. After a while, you can do the actual job on autopilot, and you spend a lot of your time lost in dark fantasies. Hell, I've spent a lot of shifts war-gamming terrorist attacks that would make 9/11 look like Amateur Night at Dixie;)
I used to lay hardwood floors paying my way trough college back when you could on a summer job - anyway the builders/contractors/wannabe home owners - made it clear what your status was without even opening their mouths. thing is we made kick ass cash - peice work and walked away with $600-1200 a day most days split 3 ways..1988-1991 time frame where $400 was real money. But they didnt want to hear from us.

I'm always nice to working class after that experience.

Last edited:
This is happening to multiple people i know. My buddy runs a restaurant, of the 50 interviews he offers , less then half actually show up and even less show up for their first day. He offers them more then minimum wage , hiring bonus and room for advancement with a clear path. It doesn't matter. People are so entitled now . With low skills and low work ethic comes low pay .

Nothing surprising about it. There are few reasons for any modern employee to treat an employer like a commitment when the commitment doesn't run in both directions. In days of yore, there were compelling reasons to show up and be loyal, primarily things like pensions that didn't vest until a certain amount of time that passed or union benefits that kicked in after a certain amount of time.

Without that stuff, it's just trading time for dollars and, especially at the low end of the income spectrum, you can do that anywhere and any time so long as you're willing to apply for a job. People apply to multiple jobs, take the one that promises the most or hires them first while ghosting the others. Then they apply for another job while still in the 1st and if they get hired, they just move over. They're not leaving anything behind when they go, so what's the incentive to formalize the separation.

Didn’t know there were so many poor warroom users. Explains the amount of liberals wondering around in here. Low salary jobs, lots of debt, lots of posts in the warroom.

There are tons of people who feel entitled to keep their jobs when employers are mandating vaccine and they refuse to get it. Rather than just quit they are suing. Google lawsuit over mandate. You'll be shocked how many entitled workers there are.
I guess it will come down to determining whether vaccination is a reasonable stipulation for employment for most jobs. I mean, health status is private info that isn't allowed to be demanded or used against you for most jobs.

I don't have a dog in that fight.

That's hardly a point in favor of the "unfettered capitalism" argument. If a state has been so overregulated and overtaxed that the cost of living and cost to run a business are too high for a young person making $35k to survive, that is the opposite of unfettered capitalism, it's overregulation.

The cost of living is primarily affected by simple supply and demand—not taxes and regulation. When you have limited affordable housing and an excess of people, housing costs rise to some kind of equilibrium. If that equilibrium is higher than what a significant portion of your labor pool can afford, then you have a wage problem. If this is happening while a tiny fraction of the population is hoarding a ridiculous amount of the wealth, then you have a societal problem.

California, specifically, has average or below average tax rates for the low and middle class, so that doesn't really help your argument. Nor does the fact that this problem is more or less a nation-wide issue, and certainly not specific to California or the west coast in general. The working class has been getting fucked since the 70s. Eventually the problem was going to come to a head, and it looks like we'll be there pretty soon.

You can't look at the wealth disparity and infrastructure in this country with any kind of honesty and not conclude that we've been fucking up for the last 60 years. We have fallen behind, we've let our lower and middle class down, and we are not prepared for the future of energy or commerce. The future of the nation has been hamstrung in order to line the pockets of the few.

This is happening to multiple people i know. My buddy runs a restaurant, of the 50 interviews he offers , less then half actually show up and even less show up for their first day. He offers them more then minimum wage , hiring bonus and room for advancement with a clear path. It doesn't matter. People are so entitled now . With low skills and low work ethic comes low pay .
People are just rude and unaccountable to each other anymore. I have my ideas how the world got like this but that's not for this thread. I retired in Pensacola Florida where they still seem to have values I grew up with. Rest of country is pretty fucked though.

Nothing surprising about it. There are few reasons for any modern employee to treat an employer like a commitment when the commitment doesn't run in both directions. In days of yore, there were compelling reasons to show up and be loyal, primarily things like pensions that didn't vest until a certain amount of time that passed or union benefits that kicked in after a certain amount of time.

Without that stuff, it's just trading time for dollars and, especially at the low end of the income spectrum, you can do that anywhere and any time so long as you're willing to apply for a job. People apply to multiple jobs, take the one that promises the most or hires them first while ghosting the others. Then they apply for another job while still in the 1st and if they get hired, they just move over. They're not leaving anything behind when they go, so what's the incentive to formalize the separation.

Back in the days of yore, what specific positions are you referring to that provided a pension?

This year, I just quit a job that provided a pension and got a new one that also provides a pension. But I'm not a low skilled employee that struggles to simply pass a background check either...

Where are all these people going? I hear the same thing even for higher paying jobs.

People are just rude and unaccountable to each other anymore. I have my ideas how the world got like this but that's not for this thread. I retired in Pensacola Florida where they still seem to have values I grew up with. Rest of country is pretty fucked though.
I'm pretty sure it started with companies outsourcing work to foreign nations, refusing to fund pensions, and failing to keep wages in line with the cost of living while gradually demanding more and more productivity from their employees.

It's like any relationship where one half starts taking the other half for granted - eventually, the other half starts adopting the same behaviors.

Back in the days of yore, what specific positions are you referring to that provided a pension?

This year, I just quit a job that provided a pension and got a new one that also provides a pension. But I'm not a low skilled employee that struggles to simply pass a background check either...
Your specific job experience is irrelevant to a conversation about the nation as a whole.

As for pensions - 41% of the private sector workforce was covered by pensions in the 1950s. And the public sector was even greater.
https://russellinvestments.com/-/me...fined-benefit-plans-a-brief-history.pdf?la=en

That figure is down to ~10% now with pensions having been replaced by defined contribution plans, like 401(k)s. Quite a bit of those covered individuals were in low skilled employee work, like line workers in factories.

When discussing why low level workers aren't sticking around with employers, a big part of the explanation is because there's no incentive to doing so. They are not leaving behind a pension plan or, in many cases, an employee match on the 401(k) or even a healthcare plan. If employers want employees to not just walk away from them, they have to incentive the employees. Thankfully, many employers are recognizing this and trying to find benefits, like tuition assistance, that entry level, low skill, employees will stick around for.

I own the business. Might turn things on their head and ghost the employees.
We just had an employee ghost us. The funny thing is that I had spoken with someone who hired this individual in the past and told us "Watch out, she might just stop coming in one day." Yeah, apparently she ghosted him to come work for us and then she ghosted us to go work somewhere else, I assume. Thankfully she was still on her probationary period so we just moved on.

I'm pretty sure it started with companies outsourcing work to foreign nations, refusing to fund pensions, and failing to keep wages in line with the cost of living while gradually demanding more and more productivity from their employees.

It's like any relationship where one half starts taking the other half for granted - eventually, the other half starts adopting the same behaviors.
I think it's not just employees though. It's hard to get a contractor to fix your AC they often won't show. Right before I left vegas and was selling my house it took like 10 calls to get someone out. Then of course, knowing my predicament he wanted an exorbitant amount to fix it. Over $1500 for a fan and capacitor and recharge. Thank god for youtube and I figured it out myself about $400 new parts with a recharge tool I had to buy. Actually I did all the remodel myself , paint, new marble, etc because I couldn't get contractors reliably or on time. Worked out ok because it took me 6 months hard labor and house continued to go up but at 52 years old I don't like being on my knees 8 hrs a day. Then quality of workmanship is another whole issue. we're just a lot different nowadays top to bottom.

Back