Social Ghosting huge problem for companies today.

What's nice about this is that when talent in the developed world throws its toys and refuses to work, it makes room for those of us in the developing world to exploit the talent gaps in higher income countries. And if you're in knowledge work field, you can do it remotely.
"The Great Resignation" is gonna have some interesting long-term effects.

Of course, that sucks when your job market's on the wrong side of that equation.

Does entitlement attitude include refusing vaccine?
Huh?

Edit: if you're asking if I think choosing not to get a COVID vaccine makes you entitled, I would say no.
So do these new potential employees know this is a bad company or paying crappy compared to profit margin? Or these vague assumptions and excuses for lazy people.
Are you assuming these are lazy people or do you know them?

Edit: I can use my current job as an example for you later when I get time to type it up. Sorry for multiple edits. I was asleep when I made initial response.

@ShadowRun my current position has been undergoing a large turnover from retirement age guys to guys in their 30s and 40s for the past 5 years. The company I work for is an electric utility that uses union linemen and switchmen. My job is a management position that was traditionally filled with former union guys in their late 50s who were ready to get out of the field and finish out their last ten years in an office setting. In more recent years there have been steady, subtle changes to the job description that basically resulted in more responsibility, higher expectations, and more use of technology. With this shift came the implementation of an aptitude test to get the job. Most of the old union guys who would want to come in can't pass the test. The more competent union guys choose not to come in because it would be a pay cut. Their hourly wage is about the same as hours, but they get a ton of over time.

Queue hiring younger guys from outside the company with more education/qualifications. Instead of doing anything to make the job more appealing to the union guys, the solution to finding people capable of passing the test and doing the job with the increased expectations has been to hire outside the company. We come in and learn that we're making less than the guys we're supervising, learn how the job has become more demanding but the pay hasn't changed, and learn that we're at minimum staffing with no honest effort being made to improve that. The company seems to have this idea that since they're hiring younger, more qualified guys the increased scope of the job should be no big deal. That might be true if their pay was in line with the industry standard and/or they were keeping a fully manned schedule to make the workload more manageable. There's also the fact that there is really no upward mobility in this office because the job used to be a retirement gig.

Now a trend has developed of guys coming into this position for ~3 years, using it to buff up their resume, and moving on. We have three superintendents in the office. Two have been with the company since they were 20 years old and one who came in from a different utility company a few years ago. The two company men are completely baffled by the fact that people want to leave and have this delusional idea that we should all be grateful to be here. They think it's the same job it was 10 years ago. The guy who came from a different company has been pushing hard for changes to try to make the job desirable because he recognizes a lot of the issues. For example, at the company he used to work for the guys in our position had another position working directly beneath them to handle a lot of the routine switching and simple stuff. We do not. We do it all. There's also the fact that the guys at this old company get about the same base pay as us, but also get quarterly retention bonuses. We do not get a retention bonus.

Just in case you're thinking that maybe the company is in a hard spot and can't afford to improve our situation: the company's profits have gone up every year for at least the 3 years I've worked here, we've had multiple wins in state congress hooking us up with bug gubmint money to improve infrastructure and go green, and the board saw fit to give the CEO an 8% raise and a $5 million bonus.

Last edited:
Nice!

I sometimes dream about working at a convenience store or working as a waiter at a quiet cafe somewhere. No stress and don’t have to think about work after you clock out. Bliss.

<Dany07>

Take it from a lifer in that prison: Retail is not the job you take if you want to avoid stress. It's boring, the hours are long and the pay isn't good. And worst of all, by orders of magnitude, there are the customers. Want to see Karens in their natural habitat? Go to your nearest super-store. Customers won't hesitate to treat retail staff like a piece of shit stuck to their boots. Because they know the company doesn't give a fuck about the staff, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Want to create a serial killer, terrorist or hit man? Make them work full time in a large store in any major city. Bonus points for making them work the run up to Christmas. Give it six months and the Retail FNG will be almost completely devoid of empathy and compassion. After a while, you can do the actual job on autopilot, and you spend a lot of your time lost in dark fantasies. Hell, I've spent a lot of shifts war-gamming terrorist attacks that would make 9/11 look like Amateur Night in Dixie;)

Last edited:
Hmm. While I sort of support the workers, at the end of the day I’ve made it pretty much. So, this isn’t my problem. We need low level serfs in society. Someone to make my McDonald’s breakfast in the morning, serve me my cocktail at a restaurant etc. Hopefully this gets solved fast, not so much a problem in Toronto Canada where I live, from what I’ve seen. These government hand outs that were abused during Covid were a big problem it seems for the serf class, they tasted free money without work. Very dangerous.

LOL what comes around goes around...- They wanted a world with no accountability. No loyalty to workers. Fire at will. They never thought about what it would be like if workers did it too.

Recruiters in several industries say they've never seen anything like it.

"We are in such desperate need that I would literally hire anyone that passes the background check," said one food-service recruiter who is currently trying to staff a large food-service contract. Insider agreed to not publish her name or client.

In the past six weeks alone, she told Insider, she scheduled 58 interviews for jobs ranging from $14 to $20 per hour, of which 27 candidates actually showed up. From there she scheduled eight for onboarding after they passed a background check, only to have just five show up for work. Of those five, three have ghosted her leaving only two out of the original 58 she considered.

"We're just understaffed and barely keeping our heads above water and I'm at a complete loss as to how to fix it," she said.

The manager of a spa and fitness center at a California country club said she has had eight new hires ghost her this year so far, even after she specifically talks about ghosting in her onboarding process and asks that workers stay in communication with her, especially if they want to quit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...king-away-from-a-job/ar-AAOBCoa?ocid=msedgntp

Regardless of what you feel about companies, there's something to be said for being an adult and living up to responsibilities. If you want to quit, be an adult and quit.

This "ghosting" phenomenon is just weak snowflake shit from kids who were coddled and are scared of face-to-face or even phone calls that may be unpleasant, so they take the easy way out and just run away.

This is the endgame for unfettered Capitalism. Prioritize profit above all else, don't regulate CEO wages, cut benefits, pay an unlivable, stagnant minimum wage, and outsource labor to the shittiest, cheapest countries on Earth. That way CEOs can afford a third mansion and Americans can pay pennies for what would otherwise cost dollars. And the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor.

This is the endgame for unfettered Capitalism. Prioritize profit above all else, don't regulate CEO wages, cut benefits, pay an unlivable, stagnant minimum wage, and outsource labor to the shittiest, cheapest countries on Earth. That way CEOs can afford a third mansion and Americans can pay pennies for what would otherwise cost dollars. And the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor.

You do realize that a lot of these employers are small business owners who are barely staying above the poverty line themselves, right? Who work 16 hour days, barely see their families? Not every business owner is Jeff fucking Bezos.

A lot of you anti-capitalist dweebs are so detached from reality and how the world actually works, it's amazing.

You do realize that a lot of these employers are small business owners who are barely staying above the poverty line themselves, right? Who work 16 hour days, barely see their families? Not every business owner is Jeff fucking Bezos.

A lot of you anti-capitalist dweebs are so detached from reality and how the world actually works, it's amazing.
Small business owners who would pay 7/hour if they were allowed

get those refugees under the bridge in! They'll work for peanuts

My first thought is "oh well, tough luck. If you want workers to stick around then take care of them". But then I remembered that our economy is currently under attack by oligarchic elites who want to destroy private business and have us all shopping at walmart.

If companies are unable to properly compensate their workers and maintain their companies thats not good for any of us.

I work for a family owned business and we're struggling as much as anyone to find help, and are resorting to bringing in 30+ H-2A workers next year, which I'm certain will only go up from there. What you don't seem to understand is that those small business owners who are barely staying above the poverty line are part of the same economy as the Jeff fucking Bezos' of the world. It's difficult to compete in a market where it's a race to the bottom for quality and labor costs.

And I'm not sure why you state that I'm anti-capitalist? Where do you get that? I'm against unfettered capitalism. People in this country have been getting brainwashed since the Cold War into believing that government regulation is some evil communist idea, when in actuality it is the only thing that allows capitalism to thrive for any amount of time without devolving into plutocracy and then collapsing into ruin.

This is a great sign. For all the talk of the younger generations being pussies, they might actually be the first American generation ready and prepared to fuck shitty companies the same way they've been fucking people for decades.

We might actually get something accomplished.

I work for a family owned business and we're struggling as much as anyone to find help, and are resorting to bringing in 30+ H-2A workers next year, which I'm certain will only go up from there. What you don't seem to understand is that those small business owners who are barely staying above the poverty line are part of the same economy as the Jeff fucking Bezos' of the world. It's difficult to compete in a market where it's a race to the bottom for quality and labor costs.

And I'm not sure why you state that I'm anti-capitalist? Where do you get that? I'm against unfettered capitalism. People in this country have been getting brainwashed since the Cold War into believing that government regulation is some evil communist idea, when in actuality it is the only thing that allows capitalism to thrive for any amount of time without devolving into plutocracy and then collapsing into ruin.

Sorry bro, if your company can't afford to pay people living wages for their work then get in the same line as the rest of us. I don't feel bad that you can't run your company if your company can't provide decent wages for people. If that's the case then you better get in the hog shit with the rest of us, boss man.

Ah yes, the "unfettered capitalism" of unskilled people in the highest taxed and most regulated state in the country walking out of their jobs to collect unemployment and smoke weed/play video games.

These aren't Amazon employees, they're restaurants and small businesses that don't have a CEO, and the article said the pay ranged from $14 to $20/hour.

Even before the pandemnic i have noticed the same.

Our company begins hiring at 15 to 17 an hour pending position and skills, we will have 10 interviews ready and 6 or 7 will show, we will hire 3 and one is sick first week, one just simply forgets they start tuesday etc. Accountability is hard these days..

Huh?

Edit: if you're asking if I think choosing not to get a COVID vaccine makes you entitled, I would say no.

Are you assuming these are lazy people or do you know them?

Edit: I can use my current job as an example for you later when I get time to type it up. Sorry for multiple edits. I was asleep when I made initial response.

@ShadowRun my current position has been undergoing a large turnover from retirement age guys to guys in their 30s and 40s for the past 5 years. The company I work for is an electric utility that uses union linemen and switchmen. My job is a management position that was traditionally filled with former union guys in their late 50s who were ready to get out if the field and finish out their last ten years in an office setting. In more recent years there have been steady, subtle changes to the job description that basically resulted in more responsibility, higher expectations, and more use of technology. With this shift came the implementation of an aptitude test to get the job. Most of the old union guys who would want to come in can't past the test. The more competent union guys choose not to come in because it would be a pay cut. Their hourly wage is about the same as hours, but they get a ton of over time.

Queue hiring younger guys from outside the company with more education/qualifications. Instead of doing anything to make the job more appealing to the union guys, the solution to finding people capable of passing the test and doing the job with the increased expectations has been to hire outside the company. We come in and learn that we're making less than the guys we're supervising, learn how the job has become more demanding but the pay hasn't changed, and learn that we're at minimum staffing with no honest effort being made to improve that. The company seems to have this idea that since they're hiring younger, more qualified guys the increased scope of the job should be no big deal. That might be true if their pay was in line with the industry standard and/or they were keeping a fully manned schedule to make the workload more manageable. There's also the fact that there is really no upward mobility in this office because the job used to be a retirement gig.

Now a trend has developed of guys coming into this position for ~3 years, using it to buff up their resume, and moving on. We have three superintendents in the office. Two have been with the company since they were 20 years old and one who came in from a different utility company a few years ago. The two company men are completely baffled by the fact that people want to leave and have this delusional idea that we should all be grateful to be here. They think it's the same job it was 10 years ago. The guy who came from a different company has been pushing hard for changes to try to make the job desirable because he recognizes a lot of the issues. For example, at the company he used to work for the guys in our position had another position working directly beneath them to handle a lot of the routine switching and simple stuff. We do not. We do it all. There's also the fact that the guys at this old company get about the same base pay as us, but also get quarterly retention bonuses. We do not get a retention bonus.

Just in case you're thinking that maybe the company is in a hard spot and can't afford to improve our situation: the company's profits have gone up every year for at least the 3 years I've worked here, we've had multiple wins in state congress hooking us up with bug gubmint money to improve infrastructure and go green, and the board saw fit to give the CEO an 8% raise and a $5 million bonus.
Well don't get me wrong some company's are complete shit and of course they will profit from a person as much as they can. But that is a defeatist attitude in my eyes. I have switched to several different company's as I don't settle for stag net positions and pay. The supervisors should get paid more, I have seen this at company's where someone comes in the same position I am in and makes more money even though I been in the role longer. My solution was to leave the company and find more money. Your offer letter is your negotiations in a mutually agreeing partnership with your company. But after that unless you move up to another title or big promotion you won't ever get much more money for your annual pay, maybe 1-3% raise which is BS. You have to think why does a business exist ? there is someone out there risking their high amount of money investing in a business because they are trying to make money. That doesn't always pan out like Enron.... The CEO getting money and bonuses is what they negotiated and earned don't be mad at them. Actors get paid way more money for way less real work CEO's often stress so much, lose their hair and work 50+ hours a week. I find it more concerning company's like Apple have slave labor in China and slave labor in the mines for the phones chips... Then them barley paying American min pay. Inflation is up and the pay is not keeping up with that but if the feds demand more pay everyone cost will go up as the whole purpose of a business (usually) is to profit as much as acceptable. Hope my ramblings make sense, ever thought about working overseas for the DoD with your skills? That is how I got out of debt and bought some nice things. Working in the Middle East 84 hours a week.

Sorry bro, if your company can't afford to pay people living wages for their work then get in the same line as the rest of us. I don't feel bad that you can't run your company if your company can't provide decent wages for people. If that's the case then you better get in the hog shit with the rest of us, boss man.

Oh I don't disagree at all. I'm just stating that this is what you get with unfettered capitalism. If you want to live in a society where a tiny percentage of people own the vast majority of the wealth and everybody else works for them and earns enough to just scrape by, then here you go. I guess that means America won, right?

Ah yes, the "unfettered capitalism" of unskilled people in the highest taxed and most regulated state in the country walking out of their jobs to collect unemployment and smoke weed/play video games.

These aren't Amazon employees, they're restaurants and small businesses that don't have a CEO, and the article said the pay ranged from $14 to $20/hour.

You consider $14 an hour a livable wage in California? What the fuck are you smoking?

Back