GGG vs Murata April 9th DAZN

Murata is a huge name in Japan from his Olympic run, logical GGG would choose him

On the one hand, this isn't the best fight GGG could have taken. On the other hand, this is a massive fight for NYE in Japan, normally MMA is central to NYE but with GGG fighting in Tokyo this could be huge for the Japanese fight scene.

Money grab for GGG. Beat up a stiff in between. Good I love it.

GGG really love can crushing lmao. And people compare this man to Haggler smh. He’s barely an ATG.
you can't even spell Hagler
your av is a cartoon for virginal dweeb who pretend to know shit about boxing
On the one hand, this isn't the best fight GGG could have taken. On the other hand, this is a massive fight for NYE in Japan, normally MMA is central to NYE but with GGG fighting in Tokyo this could be huge for the Japanese fight scene.
not just MMA big boxing on NYE has always been a thing they usually have the biggest names throwing down there in pretty significant domestic match ups

we probably get a Ioka match with some other big names
i hope Yaegashi gets a lukewarm body to style on

Interesting. GGG vs Murata is a good fight. Though he has been slipping since 2016 (I still am pretty sure his peak ability was 2014), he's not light work for anyone at MW.

Tough call... In 2011 he was maybe just as strong. But he got ducked left and right the majority of his career.

Money grab for GGG. Beat up a stiff in between. Good I love it.
Murata isn't a stiff. He's not an elite fighter, but he's the kind of guy that can cause real problems for GGG if he shows up aged. A perfect fight tbh, if he looks like shit against Murata (which is very possible), GGG should hang them up, because he won't be able to beat Andrade and certainly not Charlo.

Golovkin's jab will really show through here imo. He's old but is jab is still one of the best in the game.

Tough call... In 2011 he was maybe just as strong. But he got ducked left and right the majority of his career.

Yeah, I know. It sucks. People try to pick apart his resume, but in doing so often fail to include the fact that a number of belt holders simply refused to fight him even when he was their mandatory. Sergio, Sturm, Quillin, Cotto, and Canelo (whovwaited him out of his prime). Eubank Jr's dad also steered his son away from GGG. N'Dam gave up his mandatory spot to not fight GGG. Barker has IBF champ in 2013 and refused to fight GGG. BJS was WBO champ in 2015 and asked for millions more than what was agreed, pricing himself out.

Probably a good reason why all these guys didn't want to fight him. It's the reverse Mayweather effect. Mayweather will beat you on the cards and yoy get a nice payday. During the early to mid 2010's Golovkin was finishing people inside the distance and they were not making enough to take the risk.

He's 39, man. Who would you have him fight? Seems like a good fight to me.

It’s a Good fight. But if he plans on staying around I would prefer charlo first. As you said he’s 39. Would be a bigger fight. But I’m still excited about it.

Yeah, I know. It sucks. People try to pick apart his resume, but in doing so often fail to include the fact that a number of belt holders simply refused to fight him even when he was their mandatory. Sergio, Sturm, Quillin, Cotto, and Canelo (whovwaited him out of his prime). Eubank Jr's dad also steered his son away from GGG. N'Dam gave up his mandatory spot to not fight GGG. Barker has IBF champ in 2013 and refused to fight GGG. BJS was WBO champ in 2015 and asked for millions more than what was agreed, pricing himself out... He would have done the same to Sam Soliman.

Probably a good reason why all these guys didn't want to fight him. It's the reverse Mayweather effect. Mayweather will beat you on the cards and yoy get a nice payday. During the early to mid 2010's Golovkin was finishing people inside the distance and they were not making enough to take the risk.

I completely agree. Cotto & Sturm even openly said they don't want to fight him.
Sergio elected to just be quiet about it, and Oscar (Canelos promoter back then) tried to be slick with the ducking even though it was pretty obvious.
When you compare how much trouble Sturm had with Macklin & Geale, or Abraham with Lajuan Simon, its still impressive how Golovkin wrecked them. Of course they look like bums the way he beat the piss out of them... He would have done the same to Sam Soliman.

Marvin Hagler sort of had the same issue before he finally got his shot.

i have a feeling this is murata's last fight
and at this stage, there is no bigger fight for him

i think murata is gonna go out with his shield

murata knows ggg will prob outwork him with the jab,
and murata is pretty tough to beat, when he goes fwd/aggressive

Murata isn't a stiff. He's not an elite fighter, but he's the kind of guy that can cause real problems for GGG if he shows up aged. A perfect fight tbh, if he looks like shit against Murata (which is very possible), GGG should hang them up, because he won't be able to beat Andrade and certainly not Charlo.

The stiff I was referring to is who GGG fights before Murata.

I completely agree. Cotto & Sturm even openly said they don't want to fight him.
Sergio elected to just be quiet about it, and Oscar (Canelos promoter back then) tried to be slick with the ducking even though it was pretty obvious.
When you compare how much trouble Sturm had with Macklin & Geale, or Abraham with Lajuan Simon, its still impressive how Golovkin wrecked them. Of course they look like bums the way he beat the piss out of them... He would have done the same to Sam Soliman.

Marvin Hagler sort of had the same issue before he finally got his shot.

In both cases, GGG and Hagler were destructive, and avoided until someone with balls moved up in weight at the right time. Both Hagler and GGG were high energy, pressuring fighters and this style burns out quicker than any other. Hearns decided to try what Duran did against Hagler and both those named helped legitimize someone who was ready a great fighter. After Kell Brook, GGG got Jacobs who he beats, and Canelo 1 and 2, which most people recognize ought to have been a win and a draw for GGG.

After Kell Brook, GGG got Jacobs who he beats, and Canelo 1 and 2, which most people recognize ought to have been a win and a draw for GGG.

I had the second fight for GGG as well (close).
I don’t understand how they gave Canelo the 12th round. A round where he got visibly stunned twice.

<{clintugh}>

Last edited:
I had the second fight for GGG as well.
I don’t understand how they gave Canelo the 12th round. A round where he visibly stunned twice.

<{clintugh}>

Yeah I honestly thought Canelo lost both, but the second was closer.

The sad thing is that 4/5 times the A side gets the win in the cards. OR the big money draw gets the win on those cards, especially the closer they are. And when it's an A side with big money behind them (and bigger money expected to follow down the road), then it's even safer for the A side. It's unfortunate, but you find more examples showing this, than you do where the B side with less money and promotional push behind them getting the win on the cards.

In both cases, GGG and Hagler were destructive, and avoided until someone with balls moved up in weight at the right time. Both Hagler and GGG were high energy, pressuring fighters and this style burns out quicker than any other. Hearns decided to try what Duran did against Hagler and both those named helped legitimize someone who was ready a great fighter. After Kell Brook, GGG got Jacobs who he beats, and Canelo 1 and 2, which most people recognize ought to have been a win and a draw for GGG.

Exactly... And in the rematch Golovkin was 36 and still did better than most of Canelos opponents.
Imagine Marvin Hagler boxing Michael Nunn or James Toney in 1991... I think I know who would have won.

I agree, mostly. Murata's game. He would give most top MW's a tough night. Not saying he wins them all, but he's a guy you gotta be at your best for. I think Andrade makes too many irresponsible moves for a veteran like GGG. I think GGG can beat Andrade (not saying that's a lock), and I think the Charlo fight is 50/50 at best for GGG purely due to GGG's advanced age.

GGG and his management need to do something different. By this time GGG is so old and he still hasn't unified 160 yet.

Yeah, Sturm did everything he could to avoid Golovin when the later was still based in Germany. For a long time he was seen as a high risk - low reward fight.

GGG and his management need to do something different. By this time GGG is so old and he still hasn't unified 160 yet.
Being able to unify a division in boxing these days is more related to politics that skill these days.
BS thing to critisize GGG for.
MW hasnt had a mw champ in a decade and a half since Jermaine Taylor. Unless you count Clarissa Shields lol.

Back