Getting to closed guard

Bruce Calavera

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on forcing the transition from an open guard to closed in nogi? For example how to get a combat based opponent or someone in your DLR back into closed guard. Most people usually stand to pass my guard and I'm trying to find some tactics to put them back on their knees.

It's better to be on your feet than down in the guard. I would advise trying to stand back up if they're creating that much space. Really though, if they break your leg grip and stand, you need to go to X-guard or something because dragging them back down isn't really an option.

If they stand it is harder. Watch Carlos Portugu

I'd just go to sitting guard. It sounds like they have you flattened out, and it's really difficult to take back the guard if you don't have their sleeves.

I'd just go to sitting guard. It sounds like they have you flattened out, and it's really difficult to take back the guard if you don't have their sleeves.

I think that would my response as well.

If he is in your DLR guard, I think it is better to switch to sit up guard instead of attempting to close the guard.

Grip both wrists, put one foot on his knee that's up, put the other foot on the hip (on the side of the knee that's on the ground). Push with your feet and pull with your arms to stretch him out. This should allow you to close your guard.

Or, try a knee-push scissor sweep. If you don't get the sweep often times you can still get to closed guard.

Or just do DLR guard and try to sweep; take the back; or trap the leg, stand up and single-leg him.

Closed guard nogi you also have no sleeve or collar grips.

right, but you have your legs wrapped around them and can get the overhook and back of head.

that is pretty good control.

plus it is easier to get the grips you want while in closed guard.

plus, the guy is not thinking about passing, he is thinking about opening my guard.

I like to think about it in layers. I got closed guard and i try to work my game, if he is gonna break it I will open it then i have open guard.

giving the guy the open guard is doing him a favor.

yes, I am really into Andre's dvd right now in case you couldn't tell.

Open guard all day son

I'm all about some open guard don't get me wrong. I just like setting up open guard attacks from the closed. I set them up so that once I'm in an open guard position a few submissions are just waiting there for me. Plus maybe a sweep and a back take.

Yeah in no-gi closed guard + a tight overhook = win. Easy triangle.

Starting in open guard is not giving them a favor. Once you are in someone's open guard there are way more things that you need to defend and be aware of.

I've always thought of nogi as the world of the open guard (usually seated guard) and the half guard.

Starting in open guard is not giving them a favor. Once you are in someone's open guard there are way more things that you need to defend and be aware of.

I agree with that too but in the same light the person playing the open guard has to be really good at applying all of those dangers and traps that the passer must get through. The playing field is just way too leveled for my taste. I also feel that alot of open guard techniques just aren't as high percentage as closed guard. Don't get me wrong basic butterfly sweeps as well as alot of other sweeps and submissions from open guard can be high percentage as well I just feel that the closed guard offers more higher percentage techniques that any open guard. I don't want to have the kind of game where I catch people because of all of these secrets and surprises that they've never seen before. I want a game where someone can say "I knew exactly what you were going to do and there was no way I could stop it." The closed guard seems conducive to this.

right, but you have your legs wrapped around them and can get the overhook and back of head.

that is pretty good control.

plus it is easier to get the grips you want while in closed guard.

plus, the guy is not thinking about passing, he is thinking about opening my guard.

I like to think about it in layers. I got closed guard and i try to work my game, if he is gonna break it I will open it then i have open guard.

giving the guy the open guard is doing him a favor.

yes, I am really into Andre's dvd right now in case you couldn't tell.

i think you just need both.

closed guard is an excellent weapon to have, but i like to think of it as something to fall back on.

i'll always try to open the game as much as possible, work sweeps and transitions and try to put them on their back and pass their guard. play around, try things, move as much as possible. but if all else fails, i'll put them in closed guard and work to sub them from there.

of course in competition, it goes exactly in reverse.

Closed guard is my favorite position to be in as well from the bottom, however, its proven time and again, at the good/better/best levels, closed guard is very, very hard to get to for the reason that it's so controlling. So yeah, in a perfect world, I'll take closed guard all day long. But i expect to be playing open and closed guard against good competition.

Dan is actually the only person I've ever seen teach a class on how to get back to closed guard, step by step. He recorded it too:

Dan is actually the only person I've ever seen teach a class on how to get back to closed guard, step by step. He recorded it too:

TrumpetDan, you continue through in the 9th inning, or 4th quarter, or 3rd period, or whatever sports metaphor you want to use

Back