Getting Over Prejudices Against a MA?

Personally I use a 12 oz Jukado Kyokushin Gi, but I will also be buying a Judo gi for the grappling/submission training so as of right now I only have experience with the Kyokushin 12 ounce.

Hey I remember you posting about some knockdown fight in august,.

How did that go ?

Also, where can you train kudo in Montr

youre the only one.

ive never felt that way and ive been doing karate for ten years soon

I've always thought that what style you like to train is all dependent on your goals and what you enjoy. The reason people bag on karate is no karateka has really adapted a pure form of karate to the highest levels of pure competition yet. Schilt, GSP, Machida, etc. are all hybrids that have come to rely heavily on MT techniques. Simply put, MT works in MMA and K1 formats and that's why it is as popular as it is.

That said, if you just enjoy karate and don't plan on getting into the octagon or rin, why not focus on a good karate? Karate is cool as heck IMHO and I find katas even enjoyable. Just remember not to try to break it out in a fight..

With the exception of GSP (who relies far more on boxing), complete and utter bullcrap.

With the exception of GSP (who relies far more on boxing), complete and utter bullcrap.

OK, please elaborate. Sammy is famous for the Thai clinch with knees, although not anymore (rule change). How can anyone claim he's a karateka in the ring? Machida uses a Shotokan stance. Big deal. His high kick uses the "hinge knee" karate style I guess, but other than that he's a MT striker. GSP trains his kicks in the MT style and his hands in the boxing style. Just be real, pure karate has never worked in a mixed setting. It is always modified greatly..

So why is any use of knees and elbows considered muay thai? I've been training karate for 17 years and knees and elbows were always a part of it.

So why is any use of knees and elbows considered muay thai? I've been training karate for 17 years and knees and elbows were always a part of it.

But not the clinch. Even guys like Filho and Feitosa, both elite karatekas, had to work extremely hard on their boxing and MT in order to succeed at K1 and MMA. This is AFTER competing and succeeding at the top levels of karate. So we can call them karate fighters in K1 and MMA, but it greatly expands the definition of what karate is. Because it sure isn't traidtional..

But not the clinch. Even guys like Filho and Feitosa, both elite karatekas, had to work extremely hard on their boxing and MT in order to succeed at K1 and MMA. This is AFTER competing and succeeding at the top levels of karate. So we can call them karate fighters in K1 and MMA, but it greatly expands the definition of what karate is. Because it sure isn't traidtional..

I don't really think that's a fair comparison. Every fighter has to round out their skills from other arts to compete in MMA. I mean, you wouldn't say a guy isn't really practicing Muay Thai because he uses ground fighting techniques or uses a kicking technique from a different art.

What about the K-1 fighter Andy Hug? Did he train in anything other than Kyokushin?

I don't really think that's a fair comparison. Every fighter has to round out their skills from other arts to compete in MMA. I mean, you wouldn't say a guy isn't really practicing Muay Thai because he uses ground fighting techniques or uses a kicking technique from a different art.

What about the K-1 fighter Andy Hug? Did he train in anything other than Kyokushin?

Boxing.

Back