Getting Over Prejudices Against a MA?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by BurningHero, Aug 22, 2010.

1. BurningHero

BurningHero White Belt

I started training in Enshin Karate (a Kyokushin offshoot) about two months ago and I'm really liking it overall. It's probably the only full-contact karate in my area and I enjoy the bare-knuckle sparring. The problem is I have a hard time getting over my prejudices against karate. Despite the hard contact involved, the whole kata and gi thing keeps making me feel like I'm one of those kids at a strip mall karate place. I'm probably just getting hung up over the small things, but has anyone else ever had this problem?

cugnao likes this.
  2. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

You should probably count yourself as lucky that you were located geographically in an area where you can study Enshin Karate. As far as what may be classified as a TMA, Enshin is a very solid form of no nonsense combat style karate. I probably don't have to tell you that its founder Joko Ninomiya is for lack of a better term, a pretty hardcore individual. I originally started training in an Okinawan hard style karate years ago, and although I have never formally studied Enshin, I did incorporate many of the principles of circular movement from it, quite effectively into practical application with very good results.

If I were to pick one or two styles of traditional karate that can transition into MMA, Enshin would be at the top of my list. Take advantage of it while you can, and count youself lucky. You will build a very solid foundation for any style that you would like to eventually transition into, if you choose to do so.

:icon_chee

3. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

I did after I got my ass kicked as a green belt by some fat ass "juggalo". For months I argued with my sensei. But then I realized it wasn't karate or my sensei... it was the faulty technique and maybe even judgement of the practicioner. In this case, me. Karate has many good things, but only at the higher levels and only if you apply it to yourself and only if necessary on the street or competition.

4. oneseriousfoo

oneseriousfoo Yellow Belt

My face:

[​IMG]

5. SpineBreaker

SpineBreaker Orange Belt

There's nothing wrong with a gi dude...unless it's bright red and covered in designs and shit.

And if you're doing kata hard and cranking out like, 50 at a time, you're not exactly wasting your time.

6. Godhand13

Godhand13 White Belt

Tasmania, Australia. It's the little island at the
    I've been doing Kyokushin (Kancho Matsushima group) for 3 years, and I only stopped because the dojo lost members and fell apart. Karate is, if applied correctly, very effective and I am glad that I did it. If you have problems with the kata, basics etcetera, just think of them as a good aerobic workout

7. Kaiten Geri

Kaiten Geri Banned Banned

Stop playing the dipshit. You're falling for a ridiculous societal pressure with less than 5 years of existence, whose epicenter is a flurry of white trash and eurotrash kids that just discovered a style (whose name they can't even pronounce properly) via a ridiculously bad practicioner of it (Wanderlei).

If you already know the training and style are effective, what more could you ask? Kata is beneficial in many several ways; it's only dangerous when people start attributing functions to it that were never meant to be there in the first place.

That's all there is to it. Nothing else, nothing more. The crazy McDojo invasion is mostly an american event. It shouldn't hinder anyone's judgement of anything. I would be thanking God on my knees if there was a good Enshin school nearby this desolate place I'm living in. Trust me, you have it good and you don't know it...

8. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

^ +1 to that.

:icon_chee

9. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Word like that coming from you just gave me something to research.

10. Kaiten Geri

Kaiten Geri Banned Banned

Thumbs up for your post too, my friend

And for TS, if you need further incentive... Normally I'd say it's all mostly Kyokushin with more strict emphasis on this or that, but if we want to be more formal: Enshin is an offshoot from Ashihara, which is an offshoot from Kyokushin. It's a sibling style to Ashihara.

Who is the most famous Ashihara karateka ever? Perhaps a certain behemoth who happens to be the greatest champion in K-1 history? Who, unlike certain champions who were granted shady grand-prixes, has the entire organization openly working against him and still owns everybody? Whose effectiveness has made them change the rules not once, but twice -- something that did not hinder him in any way? Whose faithfulness to his style seems touching and rare in kickboxing and whose trainer and coach is still his first Ashihara master, both working in their own GG branch, apart from the other Golden Glory guys and the other headcoaches and their other stylistic orientations?
    Who just made much-touted Hari look like an amateur and land everything he wanted in any place he wanted in less than one round concluding with one the most dangerous kicks in karate going flush into the sucker's body and inner organs?

Were I mr. Schilt, I would not have liked a distrust of kata, that probably only lasts two months for most, to have impeded such a career.

11. Inquisitus

Inquisitus Blue Belt

You do bare knuckled contact sparring and you're worried about being associated with McDojo's?

That alone puts you on a league far above most other karate styles.

12. nefti

nefti Red Belt

the gi is nothing more than martial arts version of workout gear/sweats. As for the kata, if it's a KK ofshoot then it shouldn't have that much emphesis on it. KK is a very young style of martial art. Mas Oyama was rebelling against what the other "karates" were doing thus he called his style the "extreme truth" and the vehicle for that truth is hard sparring.

13. BurningHero

BurningHero White Belt

It's not really that I felt like I was going to a McDojo because it was karate, but that I had a hard time getting past the mental image of karate being for 10 year olds. Anyone have a similar problem when taking a TMA like that?

14. Andrew Green

Andrew Green White Belt

Traditional arts have only been for 10-year olds since they abandoned most of their traditions ;)

As for the uniforms, well personally I think white is a terrible colour for something that is constantly getting dirty, sweaty and covered in blood. But If you joined a football team would you feel silly wearing a football uniform because the kids team does as well?

15. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Ohhhh man are you and I very similiar. My MA background is 6 years of MT and 2 years of MMA and boy did I always hear karate and those type of styles getting bashed at the MMA gyms etc.. It wasn't until I got bored with the whole MMA tough guy bravado scene that I felt I needed more as a martial artist. Sure it was cool knowing I could fight really well, went undefeated as an amateur blah blah blah but I felt like I was only training the physical and not the mental, so I went looking for something that combined the effectiveness and practical combat of styles like MT, kickboxing and BJJ but with the mental/emotional/lifestyle training of TMAs and I found it hard to find a style I could take seriously enough to practice.

This is when I found Kyokushin and my eyes lit up. It had the pure hard contact and knockout striking of Muay Thai yet it had the mental/emotional more spiritual aspect of eastern martial arts. My only "beef" with the Kyokushin was the use of kata. What I did was find a style called Kyokushin Budokai, an off-shoot of Kyokushin created by Kaicho Jon Bluming. We train for Kudo, meaning we train head shots, judo, BJJ and Kyokushin/MT striking. I wear a Kyokushin Gi and have been training in it for about a month and still am hung up on the "karate" thing, but really we are just training MMA in a gi, it's more like combat Sambo and we don't even do kata. I've never trained harder in my life or with more contact (bareknuckle Kyokushin sparring) and have an amazing and experienced instructor.

Just remind yourself the longest reigning K1 champ is a karateka, that is what I do when I feel weird about doing "karate", even though we spar with headbutts and bareknuckle lol osu!

16. surfer dude

surfer dude Blue Belt

That's hardcore J.C. :cool:

Kind of off topic: But, what brand and weight Gi do you guys use or prefer? Is it Karate or Judo?

17. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Personally I use a 12 oz Jukado Kyokushin Gi, but I will also be buying a Judo gi for the grappling/submission training so as of right now I only have experience with the Kyokushin 12 ounce.

18. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

I wouldn't complain. The katas in Enshin are done from a natural fighting stance. Even in kyokushin the katas are done from a deep stance foot work that may be good for leg strength, but isn't very realistic.

19. Taskforce3Tango

Taskforce3Tango Loose cannon

Dude who gives a shit. If you like it then you like it. And if anyone gives you shit show then what karate is all about. Sweep the leg johnny

20. BWC

BWC Purple Belt

I've always thought that what style you like to train is all dependent on your goals and what you enjoy. The reason people bag on karate is no karateka has really adapted a pure form of karate to the highest levels of pure competition yet. Schilt, GSP, Machida, etc. are all hybrids that have come to rely heavily on MT techniques. Simply put, MT works in MMA and K1 formats and that's why it is as popular as it is.

That said, if you just enjoy karate and don't plan on getting into the octagon or rin, why not focus on a good karate? Karate is cool as heck IMHO and I find katas even enjoyable. Just remember not to try to break it out in a fight..