getting more out of roll time

slothofdoom

White Belt
Reaction score
my coach is getting old and broken, as the most senior student (purple belt) I am being handed more and more of the teaching responsibilitys. which i love doing anyway. I just want to know if anyone has any advice on how i can get the most out of roll time? we have 3 blues and quite a few good whites.

some things that have helped me so far

- having a clear game plan
- sticking to the basics
- methodically working through the positions making sure each gets some "quality time"
- teaching the students exactly what I'm going to do to them (and then doing it)
- teaching how to defend and counter the techniques properly (and still try to do it to them)
- making sure their escape and guard passes are up to scratch
- starting from bad positions regularily

so anyone got any more suggestions?

I find positional sparring to be one of the most useful parts of training. After working/drilling mount escapes, nothing is better than full resistance mount drills where the bottom guy is trying to escape/recover guard and the top guy is going for submissions. Same principal for side mount, back mount, turtle w/out hooks ect.....

I think most schools do some variation of guard pass drills / king of the mat. But taking that concept to other positions and starting with either a dominate position or being dominated really helps to step up your game and integrate newly learned techniques. There is less pressure to fail when you are starting out under someones mount, rather than trying to escape after they just mounted you in dominating fashion.

I think you are overthinking it.

warm up
drills
technique of the day and 2 variations
rolling time

training done!

Open mats:

Rolling
and possible Q&A if you are in the mood for chatting.

Back