Getting into wrestling when you are out of HS/College

PayPerView

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hello

I have been seriously considering getting into wrestling. The reason is that I feel my BJJ game would improve tremendously if I had the confidence in tournaments to know I could dictate where I want things to be. I'm not the biggest fan of pulling guard as I like the top game. It's just my preference.

What would be the best method for learning wrestling. I am 25 and live in Los Angeles. The only thing I can think of right off the top of my head would be to contact a community college wrestling team and inquire about open mats. I would rather have instruction from a coach than roll around with random people though. I am curious as to why there are no wrestling schools similar to how there are BJJ schools. I know a few MMA places that do teach wrestling but they are usually teaching wrestling for MMA and I am leaning more toward pure wrestling.

Another option would be judo, however I'm still leaning toward wrestling. And if it isn't pretty obvious I'm not talking about pro wrestling lol. I'd be interested in greco-roman wrestling but I don't know the first place to begin on where to find a place to train for that.

You should probably be able to find a Catch Wrestling somewhere in LA. That's going to be a heck of a lot closer to BJJ than Greco or most other western styles.

Also, give Judo a try! It's a fantastic martial art and blends perfectly with BJJ, even no-gi.

I'm in the very same boat as you OP! I am in the same area and age as well, how funny.

You might want to check these out

gokor.com (Hayastan in N. Hollywood)
erikpaulson.com (CSW in Fullerton)

I can't make it to CSW because of scheduling and was thinking about ELAC's wrestling team or possibly LAWrestling.com (it's a nonprofit thing but they only have class on Saturdays it seems).

I'm mainly interested in Catch Wrestling though. If you find any places please let me know too, OP! Thanks.

Back