Getting into shape before starting training

I don't see anything wrong with dedicating one, two, or a max of three months to increasing your cardio. start jogging, do burpees, pushups, stretching, jump rope, mountain climbers, sit ups, pull ups. Just don't try to learn any boxing on the internet. Learn from a coach when you're prepared.

As far as fitness benchmark... there's really no entry level requirements, just be ready to struggle and want more.

if it had a Rocky quote it must be horribly misguided misplaced info, how many people believe that raw eggs are good, when they are only 50% digestible verses cooked 90% plus you can actually get bacteria from raw eggs, and they´re disgusting and offer no nutritional benefits just risk

5'11 220lbs. Idk Bodyfat but I should probably really weigh somewhere between 150-170lbs

Yeah I was just thinking of benchmarks like

'Be able to run 5 mikes without stopping'

'Be able to do 80 push-ups without stopping'

'Jump rope for X amount of time'

'Be able to do X amount of burpees'

Id like a good benchmark for these

workout you´re overthinking it

they seen likely worse people then you at the gym get better, it´s nothing new

WORKOUT dude, don´t be like me and plan your life then get bored from the planing and end up not doing it not executing, though I love to work out when I get free days, but overal I´m a planner, read today that life is about monumentum and it hit me damn I got no monumentum, so just work out hard, 2-3 weeks pass fast, so instead of planing or researching work those 2-3 weeks out Hard and then join boxing, don´t just post on dog watch tv plan, actually work out hard, and get good sleep and food in, and you´ll be better of then spending stuck 3 months daydreaming and half assing things. I´m improving in carido and strength without reading scientific research, using experience comon knowledge and hard work, and mental tricks.

The guy who knows less and does a no scientific aproach training hard and often will do better then the guy at the computer thinking bout how he should work out

I love the debate ts has started. Good rift of opinion

How do you get injured being a beginner in boxing? Being embarrassed to look stupid is a shit reason not to do something and you will look shit with great conditioning and zero skills as well. After 6 months of boxing you will look 10000 times better than the guy who just "got into shape" for 6 months and just started dropping into classes
Depends on the person I'd say. I mean, obviously you shouldn't waste 6 months, but if you're coming off the couch overweight and with shit conditioning then 1 or 2 months of very specific work before starting might be smart. If you're a kid, an athlete or have been playing sports all your life with an aerobic base then I wouldn't recommend doing anything before starting.

Even with that in might, sometimes specific needs are not addressed in the boxing gym. Let's say that a person even with years in boxing adopts a certain style of potshotting. They can go at their own pace, but when they're pressured they gas. Then that might be addressed outside the gym. Why do you think so many boxers swear by running and/or other LISS work?

Another example is someone with poor hip mobility or posture that might be preventing them to turn over fully, transfer as much power they can or weave and duck optimally. They might never get that fixed unless they do specific work outside the gym to target that. The human body learns to compensate and adapts to what its limitations are. Just musing here.

A little anecdotal one, I went straight off the couch as a fatass some years ago, started training MMA, went balls to the walls, recovered terribly and tore my ACL after a few months. I know MMA/wrestling is a lot harder on the body than boxing, but if I'd have focused a little more on strengthening my posterior chain, losing some weight and being better conditioned, I am 100% sure I wouldn't have torn that ACL. Not at that point anyway.

Anyway, I'd say it depends. Most people should just start boxing, some might benefit from thinking more about the purpose of their training. 1-2-3 months is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. Also, you could do a lot of these things concurrently with your boxing training. And let me reiterate, it has nothing to do with not wanting to look like a fool, I'm talking about health. You'll look like a complete moron no matter when you start.

Last edited:
workout you´re overthinking it

they seen likely worse people then you at the gym get better, it´s nothing new

WORKOUT dude, don´t be like me and plan your life then get bored from the planing and end up not doing it not executing, though I love to work out when I get free days, but overal I´m a planner, read today that life is about monumentum and it hit me damn I got no monumentum, so just work out hard, 2-3 weeks pass fast, so instead of planing or researching work those 2-3 weeks out Hard and then join boxing, don´t just post on dog watch tv plan, actually work out hard, and get good sleep and food in, and you´ll be better of then spending stuck 3 months daydreaming and half assing things. I´m improving in carido and strength without reading scientific research, using experience comon knowledge and hard work, and mental tricks.

The guy who knows less and does a no scientific aproach training hard and often will do better then the guy at the computer thinking bout how he should work out
I agree with this though. I think it's a very bad idea to start setting goals like TS is doing BEFORE stepping into the gym. It'll take forever. Just work out right now, build your base and gradually increase your time at the boxing gym.

I don#t get why you would need to do this. Ther eis no logical reason to do anything to get in shape but to start training a combat sport. Doing the combat sport will also get you in shape and while you maybe get in shaper quicker doing only S&C you miss 6 months of training and 6 months of training is a ton of missing skill training. 90% the conditioning you get from pure S&C +6 months of actual fighting skills >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
.....>>>>>>>> than 100% of conditioning and no fighting skills.

The difference between someone who trained 6 months and hwo never trained is enormous. No amount of conditioning is worth missing 6 months of skill training and for 99% of non pro athletes (who have already perfected the sport for 5+ years) training he actual sport is more than enough conditioning and even the end result in fitness is minor.

This is 100% straw man.

1) We're talking about 1 or 2 months of conditioning, not 6.
2) Obviously, somebody with some training will beat somebody with some conditioning and no training, however:

A fit person will improve faster than a fat slob because:

1) His body is more suited for physical activities and will be able to train more.
2) He will be more motivated and will want to train more.

Faster improvement → more motivation → more training intensity → more improvement → more motivation.

A fit guy with 12 months of training beat the shit out a fat slob with 14 months of training.

This is 100% straw man.

2) Obviously, somebody with some training will beat somebody with some conditioning and no training, however:

1) His body is more suited for physical activities and will be able to train more.

Faster improvement → more motivation → more training intensity → more improvement → more motivation.

A fit guy with 12 months of training beat the shit out a fat slob with 14 months of training.

If you train for 14 months it's highly unlikely that you will be a fat slob. And conditioning comes and goes the fastest. After 12 months the fit guy is probably as fit as someone who only boxed for 12 months. That he got into shape a year ago isn't permanent it makes no difference

This is 100% straw man.

You are assuming technique and skillwork has no influence on either fighters. Everyone picks things up differently. Besides, conditioning is predominant reliant on your breathing. I've seen guys with athletic background from other sports come in and gas within a round of padwork due to not knowing how to breathe in.
We all did alot of condition during camp and on our first demo a lot of us gassed as well, it wasn't because our conditioning was bad, its just our breathing was off, being our first time doing an exhibition/fight

So what I'm saying is, the more in shape guy might put off boxing training for a year to "get into shape" before starting, and will be behind said non-athletic guy that started a year prior. If the latter of the two goes at a decent pace and is passionate & committed to boxing, despite his body's short comings (at the time). By a year's time he'd already be sparring for half a year, and probably has already started camp and ready to compete for his first event. 6 months of sparring is not much, but he'd already get a feel of what it feels like to get hit, throwing basic combinations, keeping control of the ring, etc.

If athletic guy is really that much athletic and better than the latter guy, the results will show a few years down the line when their technique & tactics are similar and the difference is made up by athleticism and strength.

You're assuming "fat slob" is leisurely dicking around in boxing and remains the same for his year while assuming fit guy is progressing and improving.

Last edited:
I would actually say it's the opposite: The more advanced you are the more benficial S&C is. The more experienced a fighter is the more important the physical aspect becomes and the more the few % additional S&C gives you are.

Holyfield did in the end mostly S&C and he lasted for a long time. The older you get the more extra strength and conditioning is necessary and the more experienced you are the less a few extra hours of technique matter so sacrificing them for a few hours of S&C is worth it.

In the beginning of just about everything the most efficient way to get better at whatever you wanna get better is to do whatever it is you wanna get better at. The better you are the more additonal things can help

5'11 220lbs. Idk Bodyfat but I should probably really weigh somewhere between 150-170lbs

Yeah I was just thinking of benchmarks like

'Be able to run 5 mikes without stopping'

'Be able to do 80 push-ups without stopping'

'Jump rope for X amount of time'

'Be able to do X amount of burpees'

Id like a good benchmark for these

Cut that in half.

* 2 miles without stopping

* 40 pushups without stopping

-- that alone will put you ahead of most of the class. You can keep improving but dont wait till after you can run 5 miles without stopping or 80 pushups before you join or you will just be delaying and you will probably never go, realistically. It's also overkill, more a regimen for if you are competing. Why is overkill bad? Cause you're going to feel like crud when you still get whooped by a bunch of guys who couldn't even do half of your regular conditioning routine, and it's going to ruin your motivation for both things. By that point, you're starting to specialize in exercise, putting your focus in the wrong place at the wrong time, mentally: the cart before the horse.

Hmm...I don't think I've ever been able to do 80 or even 40 straight push-ups in my life but I can whup the shit out of someone who could. You know...because I actually spent my time training MT and not worrying about push-ups.

The weight will come off fast if you just start training and don't eat like "in between fights Ronda."

Depends how fat and slobby you are.

71a4f9962067f94571724682981632b4.jpg
- Hit the gym before you go.

attachment.php
- You're probably good to go

the thing is nobody will even care about you, everybody cares about themselves. So just workout, don´t waste time

When you are very out of shape it can impede your ability to focus on the technical aspects of your training. For example if your arms and shoulders get tired and full of lactic acid then you won't have as good technique while trying to punch. If you're out of breath you'll spend more time trying to catch it then thinking about what your doing. You should start training while out of shape so just pace yourself and increase how often you train as you get adapted to it. Wouldn't hurt to take a week or two to prepare but beyond that just go and start asap

I can do maybe 40 possibly 50 pushups non stop and I weigh 160lbs. Yes I have bad cardio but I'm not that horrible at boxing for it being just a hobby. 80 pushups for most people is ridiculiious. There are tons of people who can't do 10 and the average not out of shape person who doesn't train anything seriously probably does like 20.

Depends how fat and slobby you are.

71a4f9962067f94571724682981632b4.jpg
- Hit the gym before you go.

attachment.php
- You're probably good to go

If you are as fat the the first picture you won#t be able to do much in the gym anyway so hitting bags and pads and general boxing training will be the limit of what you can do physically anyway so how would several weeks of S&C helpt?

if you are that fat it isnt even about working out it's about diet, working out (and boxing is easily enough) will just keep the weight down and keep you from getting lazy again and putting the weight back on

If you want to be a boxer, GO TO THE BOXING GYM IMMEDIATELY. If you want to be a weekend warrior, go in three months after you are done with your crossfit.

I can do maybe 40 possibly 50 pushups non stop and I weigh 160lbs. Yes I have bad cardio but I'm not that horrible at boxing for it being just a hobby. 80 pushups for most people is ridiculiious. There are tons of people who can't do 10 and the average not out of shape person who doesn't train anything seriously probably does like 20.

If you are as fat the the first picture you won#t be able to do much in the gym anyway so hitting bags and pads and general boxing training will be the limit of what you can do physically anyway so how would several weeks of S&C helpt?

if you are that fat it isnt even about working out it's about diet, working out (and boxing is easily enough) will just keep the weight down and keep you from getting lazy again and putting the weight back on

I can do 20 but bench press 185 for reps, if you do them correctly push ups are a good challenge, if you fuckwit them and just half way lower your arms and keep your ass up then check your ego at the door you don´t wanna imrpove you want to lie to yourself to feel better

if you´re out of shape you will be out of shape at the fitness gym too, same logic, do you wannah try to beh a fuhking fighta, yes or nah

have you been working on your cardio? if so increase the pace and bump it up several notches. do it for a month before you start boxing classes. if you have not worked on your cardio at all I suggest 2 months of dedicated cardio and exercise before starting to box. definitely incorporate push-ups, running, and squats into every sessions.

when you start boxing classes, you will begin using muscles you've never used before and in ways you've never used them before. you will be sore, it will hurt and it will stay with you for a loooong while if you keep training but that's good. it means your body is changing and adapting. doing the cardio before starting boxing is to lessen the amount of time you will be resting and recovering.

try this. 1 min of jumping jacks, 1 min of squats, 10 push-ups. repeat it 3x non-stop. If at the end of this cycle you are breathing hard and need some water then you are not ready for boxing. that's a simple warm-up routine.

btw - I took a 2-month break from working out (sick and lazy). I just started boxing again last night... and it hurts!!! sore as shit everywhere. u know you are rusty as shit when the soreness hits you that night instead of a day or two after...

Boxing will get you in shape. People of all levels, ages, etc train. Just start and you will improve.

Back