Getting Hit With 4oz. Gloves

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by jns86, Oct 3, 2010.

1. jns86

jns86 White Belt

I am an amateur kickboxer out of Chicago and I have been thinking about fighting in one if the local amateur mma events . The one thing that has been holding me back from doing it though is the use of the 4oz gloves. I have been using 10 oz in my fights for years and have never had an issue being hit with them, but for some reason the 4oz make me a little hesitant to try mma.

My question is for those who have experience fighting mma, or being hit with the smaller gloves. Did it take some getting used to? How did you get over your initial fears if you had any? Does it hurt like hell? Or, am I just being overly worried and it seems a lot worse than it is? Please tell me your experiences and I want constructive helpful answers only.

I really want to move into amateur mma, but I just need to get over this one hurdle.

2. The_observer86

The_observer86 Green Belt

You may experience slightly more pain in first couple of punches, but basics are pretty much the same--you don't want to be hit with big shots. These gloves are more likely to bruise and cut you, but impact is not much different. Be careful on the ground though-you may be surprised at the force an opponent jumping into a flying punch in a guard can deliver. So, if you're on your back and they stand above you, it's not a position you want to be in.
    I sparred with 12 and 16 oz and clean shots can hurt you with these as much as a 4oz glove can (in terms of concussive force,ie dizziness, headache)

3. jns86

jns86 White Belt

Would you find it easier or harder to land clean shots with the smaller gloves.

4. The_observer86

The_observer86 Green Belt

I would say it's harder, actually. The 4oz gloves feel weird and often slide/twist instead of landing flush. Basically a smaller stable surface than the bigger boxing gloves. The advantage is though that you can generally punch faster with small gloves, so you may like it depending on your speed. (also, easier to recover/recoil)

5. lucid

lucid FTW-champ!

This is a tough one, its very hard to train with 4 oz gloves. 4 oz gloves basically give just enough protection that you wont break your hands when you hit somebody.

Cant exactly eat punches and adjust to it.

I would say easier to land shots. Big boxing gloves honestly double as shields to protect your self. By having small gloves you need to parry punches and much harder to catch punches.

I wish i can say ive taken shots by 4oz MMA gloves but i havent, I've been hit with 4 oz bag gloves... Theres zero give.

sorry but thats all i got. hope something in there helped.

6. jns86

jns86 White Belt

Good reply Lucid. I see what you're saying about not really being able to train with them as far as sparring and what not goes. It seems like the only solution is to just avoid the big shots and work defense more. With 4oz. it seems like you can't really afford to make a mistake.

7. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

If I were you I would try and get in as much practice and light sparring with MMA gloves as possible before competing.
    Do you have sparring partners who will train in 4oz gloves?
    Good luck.

8. mjw1

mjw1 Blue Belt

Where in Chicago are there still Kickboxing matches????

I'd practice with the smaller gloves and get used to them before fighting with them if I was you....

9. jns86

jns86 White Belt

Yea that is the plan. I'm not going to jump in there blind. Also, I have to travel up north to Crystal Lake to fight. If you look you can find them every few months, especially MT events

10. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

defense is going to be a big change. You might be used to just bringing your gloves up to defend punches, but the smaller gloves are going to let more hits go through. I'd be more worried about wrestling and BJJ than the gloves, tbh.

11. AwesomeSquad

AwesomeSquad Orange Belt

It's not that different, you just get cut more.

12. neomage2021

neomage2021 Silver Belt

It really doesn't feel that much different getting hit with 40z gloves. I woudl suggest you do some lighter sparring wiht 4oz gloves to get used to the slightly different distance and also getting used to defending strikes with the small gloves will take a while.

Having a solid ground game and takedowns will help you the most in amateur mma though.

13. jns86

jns86 White Belt

The person above you seemed to feel the same way by saying I should be more worried about BJJ and wrestling than glove size. I mean are the AMs just low level in stand up, or do most guys just take the safe route (from a KO risk/damage taking point of view) and go to the ground?

14. Logan M

Logan M Purple Belt

From my time watching it the vast majority of amateur MMA fights are going to end up on the ground. A lot of the them are wrestlers or BJJ guys. Also for a little more protection if you'd like to get used to sparring with MMA size gloves buy some Hayabusa Hybrid MMA gloves. A lot more protection and let you get used to the speed and defense of the smaller gloves. As to your earlier question I find it a lot easier to land clean shots with MMA gloves. Just so much more speed and easier to thread through defenses. Especially the jab.

15. neomage2021

neomage2021 Silver Belt

From my am experience there are pretty much two kinds of guys that do the lower level am competition. A) The tough guy wiht pretty much no skill besides swing for the fences and B) wrestlers and BJJ.

Many of the am fighters in my area are high school wrestlers. I would say work on your takedown defense and plenty of sub defense. so you have a better chance to keep the fight where you want it.

IN the end it will really be a toss up what kind of guy you get. My first fight i ended up going against a guy that had been kickboxing for about 5 years. It took me a while to get him to the ground but when i did he was clueless.

On the flipside a team mate of mine had his first fight and won by throwing a single jab. Poor kid he fought got tagged with a jab and hit the ground tapping.

16. jns86

jns86 White Belt

yea at the event I went to this past weekend it seemed to be exactly as you said. Some guys were technical and more skilled, while others were obviously out there looking for the haymaker. A lot of what you guys are sharing is really helpful btw. I hope there are some guys in the gym that won't mind doing a little light mma sparring with the smaller gloves. I have 7oz. Combat Sport Int. gloves.

17. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

The balance between defense and offense changes dramatically because the gloves have such a small profile.

18. jns86

jns86 White Belt

Yea and I am sure that with the speed added it becomes harder to defend and evade.

19. RedAger

RedAger Amateur Fighter

Following the spaceship of Bethlehelm with Giorgio
    From my experience, 4 oz gloves people are generally less reluctant to throw lots of big hard shots because the punches slip through much easier. I actually prefer 4 oz gloves because I feel it caters to my style more than big gloves. I can be more accurate counter punching with small gloves than with big gloves. I don't really notice a difference in getting hit except after 4 oz gloves tend to leave more burn marks but that's it.

20. jns86

jns86 White Belt

Yea, I'm not worried about burn marks as much as the change in punch damage from a 12oz. to a 4oz. I also here that with the MMA's you can't throw as hard as you want because of the risk of damaging your hand. Any truth behind that?