Getting hit results in gassing

bunga

White Belt
Reaction score
Those two have a certain connection going. The other day in my kickboxing sparring I ate a good combination to the head. Man, did that sap my stamina! I just felt like quitting and sitting down for a while until there was a chance to clinch for safety.
Did you see the last Bobby Lashley fight? He was out of it after a couple of hits to the head.
Think what it is like to be a pro where you can be certain it is going to happen. How do they overcome this?

Just accept your going to get hit, stay relaxed. I dont think you can really train on how to take a punch. Well I guess you could practice getting hit! haha

Its not because you are getting hit. Its because you get too tense when you get hit. Stay relaxed even when you get hit

Steakeater is right. Beginners tend to turtle up and hold their breath until the barrage of punches stop.

it does gas you somewhat tho. your body is recovering itself

fighters in better shape tend to recover faster after being wobbled imo

Look, getting hit in the face won't destroy your gas tank; if you take some body shots, then it does take alot out of you. The real issue is that when you get hit (especially when you get hit hard), the pain signals in your body are basically your brain warning you that something harmful is happening to you (fight or flight instincts). To be able to overcome this, you have to have an iron will & a steel resolve, mental toughness which comes from a combo of nature (genetics/ your natural predisposition) & nurture (how you're raised, your values, etc).

That's why the mental game of fighting is so huge, and everyone has their breaking point. King Mo, you could see that he was done after he was hugging onto Feijao's leg getting pummeled with elbows; Lashley was done at the end of the 2'nd as his hulking frame stayed glued to the canvas. The more I sparred & trained, the more my threshold has gone up. Elite fighters have an unbelievable will power & mental resilience that is a huge part of what makes them so amazing.

Look, getting hit in the face won't destroy your gas tank; if you take some body shots, then it does take alot out of you. .... Elite fighters have an unbelievable will power & mental resilience that is a huge part of what makes them so amazing.

Bingo. Not enough people credit a fighter's "chin" to his/her hunger,willpower and steel heart/mind. People think it's all in the genes.

When you get nervous, scared, angry (basically any heightened emotion) you are going to gas quickly. This is basically what happens in reaction to some people getting hit or injured.

Body shots resulting in gassing. Head shots not so much.

Some excellent tips, guys. I will try to stay calm and hope that more experience will take away the other obstacles.

Look, getting hit in the face won't destroy your gas tank; if you take some body shots, then it does take alot out of you. The real issue is that when you get hit (especially when you get hit hard), the pain signals in your body are basically your brain warning you that something harmful is happening to you (fight or flight instincts). To be able to overcome this, you have to have an iron will & a steel resolve, mental toughness which comes from a combo of nature (genetics/ your natural predisposition) & nurture (how you're raised, your values, etc).

That's why the mental game of fighting is so huge, and everyone has their breaking point. King Mo, you could see that he was done after he was hugging onto Feijao's leg getting pummeled with elbows; Lashley was done at the end of the 2'nd as his hulking frame stayed glued to the canvas. The more I sparred & trained, the more my threshold has gone up. Elite fighters have an unbelievable will power & mental resilience that is a huge part of what makes them so amazing.

That's true for pros, but the OP is kinda talking about a beginner level.

Just don't hold your breath when you get hit. Do drills with friends where you consciously try to continue breathing while getting hit.

Here's the secret: EXHALE and you can tense your muscles even on body shots while STILL BREATHING.

Back