Getting hit in the jaw?

fightingfetus

Give Your Backside a Taste of my Belt
Reaction score
Over the last few months I have finally begun sparring in boxing. A few times I have been hit in the jaw a particular way and I immediately feel my ear canal begin to feel very hot. Im sure its my jaw bumping a nerve back there, I dont feel disoriented but it is a very unusual sensation. Has anyone else experienced this, is this common or damaging. I understand that a knockout is when the jaw hits the sciatic nerve(sp?) so is this what Im experiencing. Any help would be nice.

Over the last few months I have finally begun sparring in boxing. A few times I have been hit in the jaw a particular way and I immediately feel my ear canal begin to feel very hot. Im sure its my jaw bumping a nerve back there, I dont feel disoriented but it is a very unusual sensation. Has anyone else experienced this, is this common or damaging. I understand that a knockout is when the jaw hits the sciatic nerve(sp?) so is this what Im experiencing. Any help would be nice.

I think i know what you mean, i don't know if it's normal either. i can crack my jaw, maybe that's why. i would like to know if it's comon though.

A lot of KOs are caused by getting hit in the jaw, especially the side of the jaw, which is why boxers tuck in their jaw. I'm not sure of the entire anatomy or mechanics of your particular dilemma, but if you continue to be bothered by this, you may want to check out a doctor.

Youre lucky its just a mild sensation. See Lewis-Rahman 2 for an extreme case.

the key to not having this issue in boxing is to try and not get punched and punch the other guy more before he can punch you.

other than that hang on for the ride and try and keep your head tight when you take a hit, i have found that kinda by tensing up and really making my jaw tight on my mouthguiard i have been able to recauve from shots a little bit easier, not that i am proud of it but i have taken kicks to the head and feel much better when i am prepared for the shot like this, its when you are surprised by the shot that you usually feel like shit, or cant see at all if your that unlucky

so god damn it keep your hands up and your chin tucked and punch the mother fucker right back for the counter

Yeah I can crackmy jaw too maybe its got something to do with the way the jaw bone lines up. I hope i dont have a glass jaw, i havent been knocked out yet but i havent really been hit too hard either.

it's called being "buzzed" and it's a very common sensation. get used to it.

is it damaging? probably not in the short term.

yeh man its all good just suck it in, try to stop it from even happening

what you're experiencing is normal. the best solution is not to get hit but since that is virtually impossible, tuck your chin and tense your jaw muscles when you do get hit.

i hope it's good that we have this...a doctor told me that when i crack my jaw, my jaw drops a little and creates more space between the jaw and the brain. it might be hitting something else instead lol.

Ask a doctor about medical questions.

Ask a doctor about medical questions.

BTW, your sciatic nerve is in your butt. I'd have to look up which nerve is behind the jaw, but it is a cranial nerve.

beatin'stick said:
BTW, your sciatic nerve is in your butt. I'd have to look up which nerve is behind the jaw, but it is a cranial nerve.
sensation from the middle ear comes from the glossopharyngeal nerve (cranial nerve IX). it does have branches around your jaw, supplying the parotid gland and the back of the tongue, but i'm not really sure why getting hit in the jaw would cause you to experience sensation in your ear canal.

and beatin' stick is right - the sciatic nerve runs through your butt, so that's definitely not responsible for knockouts.

I thought your brain bouncing off the inside of your skull caused a knockout, for the most part. I've heard the nerve explanation too, but have been skeptical about it.

k'z factory said:
and beatin' stick is right - the sciatic nerve runs through your butt, so that's definitely not responsible for knockouts.

It sure hurts to get kicked there though :)

I toally hear u buddy. I injured my jaw playing diffrent sports before I started boxing and its inevitable that i wud hurt my jaw which is injured. I have tmj whichmakes my jaw lock and crack not painful though but wrestling around and getting hit in the jaw my jaw has gotten hurt and is painful as shit. I didnt get hurt boxing for a while cuz I was careful not too then i was sparring a guy who was shorter but had heavy hands like a mofo. he wanted to throw I was trying to outbox him. he kept puting his head down and throwing overhand rights and lefts one then he wud reset and box then throw another one with the diffretn hand. I was jabbing his face and trying to hit him with a right and he hit me on the jaw with a left and my jaw was like sideways. it hurt like shit but it wasnt a ko shot or anything fucked my jaw up. after a few days it felt better and its koo now but thas the worst thing about boxing in my opinion fucking up ur jaw. cant talk, eat, make out with beautiful women. yea thas my whinny ass story

StillStand'N said:
I thought your brain bouncing off the inside of your skull caused a knockout, for the most part. I've heard the nerve explanation too, but have been skeptical about it.
well, the impact of your brain stem against your skull leads to nerve impulses that result in loss of consciousness, so it's really both. nerves are still involved, but it's not like a specific nerve is snapping in half to cause loss of consciousness.

big areas of the brain are effected by a punch. i don't see how nerves are the main issue, unless you blacking out is from nerve impulses from pain. supposedly you don't feel it when you get knocked out. i think i've been KOd and had a concussion and i felt fine right after it happened. i actually didn't know what happened though lol. so trauma to the frontal lobe is fo sho, its the part of the brain that hangs out the most from center of gravity. it's the part that gets whipped when you get hit with a hook to the jaw.

Back