getting cut for holding on to subs is not new

fighter_31

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The first person I can remember getting cut for holding onto a sub was Babalu when he fought David Heath. I just don't get why people don't see the danger in what Rousimar did. Heck when you train this specific sub they tell you not to apply pressure to it. When I use to train (I wasn't that good for the record) if we got this sub when rolling the other guy would tap and then we would work on the escape in a safe manner. If anyone wants to see how dangerous this sub is (and how quickly you can go from no pain to being on a strechter) watch Mike Brown vs. Imanari it isn't pretty.

People also saying that it took about one second for the hold to get broken after the ref touched him two things: first he cranked it before he let go, and two the second the ref moves to stop the fight it is over. Heck Anthony Pettis didn't need to wait for the ref when Benson verbally tapped and that was a championship fight he let go right after the tap.

I hope though that Rousimar gets some help the guy has talent.

P.S sorry for another thread on this.

Yep and holding a choke for a few seconds will not end a career like holding a heel hook. We don't even do them much in practice unless there's a tournament coming up and even then we just drill them, very rarely go for them when rolling. It's a horrible hold.

Babalu holds choke too long, fired.
Palhares holds heelhook too long, banned for life.
BJ Penn holds choke too long, no repercussions at all.
Hendo knowingly blasts and unconscious Bisping and boasts about it post fight, no repercussions at all.
Rampage repeatedly punches an unconscious Wanderlei while being restrained by the ref, no repercussions at all.

If you want to claim the repeat offender point of view, Hendo punched Fedor while he was unconscious and Rampage hit an unconscious Arona at least twice after that headbutt.

Hendo knowingly blasts and unconscious Bisping and boasts about it post fight, no repercussions at all.

Henderson went to strikeforce after the Bisping fight. I thought he was released from the UFC for the follow up shot.

Henderson went to strikeforce after the Bisping fight. I thought he was released from the UFC for the follow up shot.

No, his contract was up and he wanted more money than the UFC offered.

That said, hendo's shots on Fedor were before the ref stopped it. Hell, even with those shots many called it an early stoppage. As far as rampage v Arona, it's been a long time, but I don't remember anything wrong with them.

Rampage's on Silva were sick though. I think he should've been punished, but it was a first real offense for him (and he hasn't finished a fighter since then)

Rampage repeatedly punches an unconscious Wanderlei while being restrained by the ref, no repercussions at all.

If you want to claim the repeat offender point of view, Hendo punched Fedor while he was unconscious and Rampage hit an unconscious Arona at least twice after that headbutt.

I think this is a great time for this convo as well in regards to extra strikes to ko'd fighters. It is something I would like to see addressed.

No, his contract was up and he wanted more money than the UFC offered.

That said, hendo's shots on Fedor were before the ref stopped it. Hell, even with those shots many called it an early stoppage. As far as rampage v Arona, it's been a long time, but I don't remember anything wrong with them.

Rampage's on Silva were sick though. I think he should've been punished, but it was a first real offense for him (and he hasn't finished a fighter since then)

Go watch it again. Heaps of BS happens in that fight but people are so completely blinded by the powerbomb finish that they disregard it. I think Rampage was pissed after he woke up from that upkick (looked like a flash KO to me) that when he finally did finish Ricardo with the powerbomb/headbutt he gave him a couple of extra shots for good measure. As for the Hendo/Fedor thing, I know the ref hadn't intervened yet but I'm pretty sure Dan could tell he was out but chose to keep striking him.

babalu admitted post fight with joe he did it on purpose. justified.
penn is a top draw, should have been fined, but would never be cut, draws waaay too much money
hendo wasnt stopped by the ref
cant remember page

babalu admitted post fight with joe he did it on purpose. justified.
penn is a top draw, should have been fined, but would never be cut, draws waaay too much money
hendo wasnt stopped by the ref
cant remember page

Oh okay I thought this whole argument was from a moral standpoint and about the integrity of the sport but now I see we can pick and choose based on position in the company, got it. So when I see Bones Jones repeatedly soccer kick a downed opponent or GSP hold a choke until security has to pry him off, I should expect no repercussions.

Oh okay I thought this whole argument was from a moral standpoint and about the integrity of the sport but now I see we can pick and choose based on position in the company, got it.

not sure what you are talking about here. i stated that penn draws a considerable amount of revenue, palhares next to none, and this is primary factor regarding the ufc's decision. penn wasnt 'moral', but holding a choke is different than a leg, and it was his first vesus third time. penn didnt have multiple prior offenses, palhares had even been suspended for such a thing.

Go watch it again. Heaps of BS happens in that fight but people are so completely blinded by the powerbomb finish that they disregard it. I think Rampage was pissed after he woke up from that upkick (looked like a flash KO to me) that when he finally did finish Ricardo with the powerbomb/headbutt he gave him a couple of extra shots for good measure. As for the Hendo/Fedor thing, I know the ref hadn't intervened yet but I'm pretty sure Dan could tell he was out but chose to keep striking him.

The Arona fight I didn't have much of a problem with just a bang and bang situation (maybe the second punch was a little much). As it relates to Fedor/Hendo no real problem with either. Once again very tense sequence and Herb Dean was right on top of it with that fight IMO.

not sure what you are talking about here. i stated that penn draws a considerable amount of revenue, palhares next to none, and this is primary factor regarding the ufc's decision. penn wasnt 'moral', but holding a choke is different than a leg, and it was his first vesus third time. penn didnt have multiple prior offenses, palhares had even been suspended for such a thing.

Most people I see on here are trying to take the moral high ground saying it was the right thing to do, I made a wrongful assumption that you were the same, sorry for that. I agree holding a choke too long is different because it can brain damage or kill someone, cranking a leg can't. You saying Penn is a top draw is bullshit justification though, saying he had no prior offenses is a better defense.

You saying Penn is a top draw is bullshit justification though, saying he had no prior offenses is a better defense.

penn drew a shitload of money for the ufc and last time i checked, this is a positive thing for a buisness. thus it's a legitimate reason to keep him around.

penn drew a shitload of money for the ufc and last time i checked, this is a positive thing for a buisness. thus it's a legitimate reason to keep him around.

Also:

Penn did it only once(Drwal fight anyone?)
Penn did not test positive at drug tests
Penn doesn't have a history of doing that BS outside UFC

BJ Penn did the same thing to Pulver, nothing happened

Back