getting carried away sparring.

Must be nice to have sparring partners who don't move when you want to hit their noses.

Well, a couple things-

I used to be the biggest dick in the world sparring. Such an asshole. Thing was, I never meant to be- I was just hypercompetitive, fairly athletic/explosive and heavy handed, and not nearly technical enough to win without using the athleticism. As I progressed skill wise, I was able to land shots and combinations without having to Hulk out.

But assuming your skill is up to par, one thing that helped me a lot- both with my progress and with my sparring partners not hating me- was to go into each round with a very specific objective. not just "fight and win" but more like "work on going body to head" or "play defense and only use counter shots" or something like that.

Flipside though, you're not being a dick if you crack someone when they make a mistake. And as a big guy, I can commiserate-everyone is going to try to take your head off. If they've been around long enough to know what they're doing and know better, fuck 'em. Don't knock them out, but if you crack them one at the same intensity they were throwing at you, they deserve it.

I'm a HW as well, although I'm only around 215 lbs before slimming down. The amateur HW limit here in Denmark is around 200 lbs. Anything over that is SHW.

Anyway, I started boxing 1

Duh, boxing is fake. When you're scripted to hit your guy, aim for his nose. Easy.

The difference between hitting the forehead vs the nose with a punch is kind of like the difference between hitting the thigh vs the groin with a kick. If you can't aim for shit you probably shouldn't be sparring just yet.

The difference between hitting the forehead vs the nose with a punch is kind of like the difference between hitting the thigh vs the groin with a kick. If you can't aim for shit you probably shouldn't be sparring just yet.

Vids of said accuracy plz.

I'm 120 pounds sparring can be difficult at times, I understand how you feel.

theres nothing dangerous in bloody nose and being dropped by bodyshots..

i agree. this is normal...even if its just sparring you gotta hit each other,and this will happen no matter what. I certainly dont get mad about if it happens to me

I just follow the general rule : Hit as hard as you want to get hit. This goes for how your opponent spars, as well as yourself. No matter how big you are, don't expect someone to play patty-cake if you're throwing hard shots. I don't care if you're half my size, don't be a dick.

^A lot of people don't follow that. As per example of Tuesdays sparring; I always pull my punches, so I go 50-75% depending, but one guy destroyed me pretty hard. Probably have a concussion, as I still have a slight headache since then.

Yup, not sparring til I move gyms.

Go to a different gym or bring in big guys.

Beating up MWs won't help when you gotta fight a big HW but you gotta work with what you have

I'm about 150 pounds, and there is a guy at my gym probably 220, when we spar I'll start getting over on him do to a "speed advantage", but I always end up taking a couple heavy shots, and I don't really blame him to much knowing that he has to keep up, and physics dictate that when he does catch up, it hurts.

I would say all three. Finding a gym with HWs would be ideal while disciplining yourself would only do you good. We have this massive Ron Lyle-type of character at my gym as well but he only spars with HW and he always holds back. So if you "must" fight those smaller guys, I would advise you to get the biggest and most padded gloves you can find and take it easier on them until a HW of your caliber comes along. If I were you I'd try to focus more on my defence and parrying, those smaller guys are faster so you can probably benefit from that. Beating up people of lower divisions though is really not cool and doesn't allow neither you nor them to improve.

I hit guys and girls exactly as hard as they hit me regardless if they are bigger or smaller.
One thing I don't get though is why some people aim for eyes and nose in sparring.. Or throw front kicks to the teeth. Douche moves IMO. I get that some of them lack coordination and hit those areas by accident but some people actually aim for those areas, and strike hard..

I'm sometimes aiming for those areas but I don't strike hard. I like to throw fast jabs on the nose or mouth as warning shots to people who go harder than they should, letting them know that I've been holding back. They usually get staggered because they weren't expecting it, and most of the time they do get the message and tone it down. Those shots are harmless really, but I'm talking strictly traditional boxing here, no kicks.

That is the disadvantage of being the big guy in the gym. You're expected to go easy on guys who are not willing to go easy on you. Little guys look like a badass for besting you, and you look like a prick when you beat them up.

Eeer, I honestly don't think that anybody expects you to go easy on guys who are not willing to go easy on you just because you're bigger. You go as hard on them as they go on you. However, I use warning shots before deciding to go harder, giving them a chance to correct their ways.

Back