getting carried away sparring.

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
Yesterday I, a heavyweight, bloodied the nose and dropped with a body shot two middlweights.

I have a fight coming up so I'm being a bit of a **** but I realised that I am 'that' guy.

The uppercut to the nose was because he got tired and started charging head down swinging and the left hook body was because he wouldn't engage n kept running away to the side with no guard. However. I might have to not spar smaller people or get them to wear body shields n head gear while I wear 20's or somit.

It's getting hard to hold back. Shit wasn't thrown with malice just good speed n form to where the hole was.

The gym I go to has only 1 other heavyweight and while he is much more skilled and strong my reach n height levels the playing field, regardless though, he is retiring due to age n health. It's a pity because he comes to bang.

I'm fine when the other person is real small or tentative but soon as they pressure I relax a bit and cause pain.

I don't think it's of any use to the rest of the gym for them to have a douche who is bigger by far punishing them for getting shots in.

Should I find a gym with hw's (not easy) and go to mine less. Get my partners armoured up or just get some fucking discipline? Perhaps all three.

Double post.

Last edited:
I spar with guys my size and smaller, well some bigger now, since I've gone down to Light Heavy.

I'm super disciplined, easy to the face, harder to the body.

If you’re having difficulty with that, you need to go looking for a place where other HW dwell.

I've always preferred to be very defense-heavy in sparring since getting tagged is what I'm trying to avoid in every situation. Not avoiding exchanges but slipping and blocking, especially with smaller guys. It doesn't do much good to overpower smaller guys and avoiding getting tagged by guys who are generally faster than guys you normally face is really good. Of course I throw shots too but I usually pull my punches and fold my knee into the kicks. Bag work and pad work is really where you practice power shots anyway.

I think you had an unlucky day in terms of that. Bloody nose = not a big deal. My nose bled the first 2 years EVERY time I sparred. Dropping somebody with a body shot has more to do with placement and timing than power. Even if you were also a middleweight, you would have bloodied that dude's nose and at least caused the body guy to take a break or maybe a knee. On the flip side of the coin, charging in head down and forward = bloody nose and potentially other things.

If you were stunning these people and then following up with 2 or 3 more punches, or taking advantage of fighters that were dead on their feet pressed against the ropes, I'd say you were that guy. If you're tagging them and cutting them loose, you're sparring as fairly as you can. You can't expect to use speed but somehow negate power.

their fault for sparring a heavyweight and being sloppy, theres nothing dangerous in bloody nose and being dropped by bodyshots.. if u start to concuss them to the head ure a giant douche but work them hard to the body, no shame in that

It does happen, but try to avoid it if possible. It's an assumed risk of the sport; that doesn't mean, however, that we shouldn't try minimize risk where we can.

Yesterday I, a heavyweight, bloodied the nose and dropped with a body shot two middlweights.

I have a fight coming up so I'm being a bit of a **** but I realised that I am 'that' guy.

The uppercut to the nose was because he got tired and started charging head down swinging and the left hook body was because he wouldn't engage n kept running away to the side with no guard. However. I might have to not spar smaller people or get them to wear body shields n head gear while I wear 20's or somit.

It's getting hard to hold back. Shit wasn't thrown with malice just good speed n form to where the hole was.

The gym I go to has only 1 other heavyweight and while he is much more skilled and strong my reach n height levels the playing field, regardless though, he is retiring due to age n health. It's a pity because he comes to bang.

I'm fine when the other person is real small or tentative but soon as they pressure I relax a bit and cause pain.

I don't think it's of any use to the rest of the gym for them to have a douche who is bigger by far punishing them for getting shots in.

Should I find a gym with hw's (not easy) and go to mine less. Get my partners armoured up or just get some fucking discipline? Perhaps all three.

Whomever is overseeing your training for this should definitely arrange some HW sparring for you.

That said I've never seen a middleweight who holds back on heavyweights. Just the other day this 165lb'er here was sparring a HW and he was BLASTING the big guy like it was a fight. I started to feel bad for the big guy but then I remembered why these Sports have weight divisions. As soon as the 165lb'er got tired, the big guy started HAMMERING him, particularly to the body. Then I felt bad for the smaller guy, but he deserved it.

I sparred a heavyweight once just to do it, former Pro Cisse Salif. 6'5, and at the time about 240lbs. Every time he got within punching distance I tried to kill him. He was nice to me, but if he hadn't been I wouldn't have blamed him.

That is the disadvantage of being the big guy in the gym. You're expected to go easy on guys who are not willing to go easy on you. Little guys look like a badass for besting you, and you look like a prick when you beat them up.

Work on the control and discipline, and cross train to spar with other big guus

am i the only dude who doesn't try to KILL a bigger guy when i spar them; i may crack hard, when i have an opening. But i am by no means trying to kill them, it's sparring...and i think it's kinda *sshole to do..esp when you know that dude isn't doing the same... Now if someone asks me to hit them harder..then i will; but no way i just come in and tee off on anyone unless a) it's an agreed upon fight..and even then that is counter to my general approach to striking/sparring

Being a bigger guy in sparring is different and only good sized dudes understand. Most smaller guys dont get the fundamental disadvantage big guys have in sparring. Im not quite as big as ye but i bloodied one partners nose my first few months sparring. Its tough to hold back when you KNOW he is hiting you harder "because you are bigger". You have to go easy as long as they are. But when they go harder you have to up the ante

I can get rambunctious too, but lucky enough most of the experienced guys at my gym don't mind a hard spar. Coach says a lot of the time to spar light...and sometimes things get out of hand. A guy who used to train at our gym would almost always spar hard, and he was really good so he kicked my ass quite a few times, but then I ended up knocking him out one day. :icon_lol:

I'm a natural 150lb fighter, the smallest in the gym by at least 15-20lbs. When I spar guys significantly bigger, I still stick to the same rule of "hit them as hard as they hit you" I don't take after the big guys any harder than anyone else

I hit guys and girls exactly as hard as they hit me regardless if they are bigger or smaller.
One thing I don't get though is why some people aim for eyes and nose in sparring.. Or throw front kicks to the teeth. Douche moves IMO. I get that some of them lack coordination and hit those areas by accident but some people actually aim for those areas, and strike hard..

I hit guys and girls exactly as hard as they hit me regardless if they are bigger or smaller.
One thing I don't get though is why some people aim for eyes and nose in sparring.. Or throw front kicks to the teeth. Douche moves IMO. I get that some of them lack coordination and hit those areas by accident but some people actually aim for those areas, and strike hard..

Pretty difficult to aim for the eyes or nose.

Pretty hard to hit someone in the head period, never mind aiming for their eye or nose.

Back