Getting better with outside resources?

879lexus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been training about 6 months so far and it's been fun and the usual happens. The blues tap me out, the white stripes tap me out etc. I get days when I get a triangle and some sweeps and I got an RNC the other day (no armbar yet).

At the begining of september, I bought Saulo's book and have been reading it and I learned side control, mount and back survival positions...I went to the sweeps section and learned a few sweeps also. For the past 2 months, people have been telling me I've been getting better and that I have to attribute to Saulo's book...The higher belts stick to me like glue, but I've been holding my own and escaping really tough positions. I've been escaping with confidence more, going for more subs (even though I don't get them)...

The thing is that my instructor is from a Renzo lineage and some things he teaches is different from what's in Saulo's book. But the stuff from the book has been working like a charm.

I don't understand why I wasn't seeing progress when just training the techniques I was being taught by my instructor? Once I started reading the first few chapters of Saulo's book, I've been hearing alot more positive comments from my peers.......

I'd say its most likely you are paying more attention to details, have something to go back and review the same material every day until you understand it, and simply are spending a lot more time thinking about grappling techniques.

In class you likely cover a technique one day, and won't see it instructed again for some time. With a book you can revisit it before / after every session until you correct all your mistakes and internalize it.

Glad you found something that is helping. Keep reading but dont neglect what your instructor is saying.

you will improve with time...and you will seem to plateau with time....it is a constant cycle.

Glad to hear that's working so well for you. There are many possible reasons why you've made such good progress by using outside resources.

Keep studying Saulo's book and when you feel that you're starting to get diminishing returns from doing that, you should consider picking up his instructional sets. if you're progressing well with the help of the book, i can guarantee that you will do even beter
after watching his instructionals.

get Saulo's BJJ revolution DVDs, they will help you A LOT

Try out both what your instructor tells you and what the book tells you and see which works better for you, you can even mix them up for the proper times (after all the best technique at the moment is always relative to what your opponent is doing)

By the way, if you're figuring out ways to improve your submission skills, Saulo's book doesn't offer that much in the department but it does a very good job of teaching what beginners SHOULD be focusing on which is defense/survival

Back