Getting back what I lost at boot camp.

AFCrookie

Armageddon has arrived.
@Green
Reaction score
Just got back from Marine Corps Boot Camp on Saturday. I only lost about 11 pounds, but it was all muscle, and now I look/feel like a skinny bitch. I have a little over 2 weeks to put some good weight back on before reporting to Infantry School. My numbers on the bar have stayed pretty close to what they were, I just wanna put the mass back on (vanity, I know)

Thoughts?

I would spend the next two weeks relaxing and enjoying not being in boot camp.

Eat, sleep, drink, and be merry.

Thanks for your service.

I would spend the next two weeks relaxing and enjoying not being in boot camp.

Eat, sleep, drink, and be merry.

Thanks for your service.

+1

Enjoy your leave. You will have a bit more freedom when you get back and I am sure you will have some time to lift.

I could be wrong, but if your numbers are still the same how can you say you lost 11 lbs of muscle? What you lost was probably fat that looked buff...

Just eat a lot.

They don't want you to be big, just strong.

A big marine requires more calories and may be slower.
They want you to be efficient under stress and with minimal nutrition if necessary.
It is inefficient to be big.

They know what they are doing, don't fight it.

If you must though, just do what has been proven to work, medium reps at as high a weight you can. Do free weight exercises that use as many muscles as possible (Deadlift, squats, bench, etc...), and eat as much clean food as you possibly can.

as an infantryman you want to be lean. Muscle endurance is now far more important than pushing/pulling/pressing big numbers. You will have time to add the weight back correctly after infantry school. Relax while you can brother.

As it turns out, my squat went down considerably. I left doing 5x5 with 275. I tried 260 today and had to back off. ( I was alone and wasn't trying to be stupid without a spotter)

Long story short I ended up doing my 5x5 with 235.

Once I hit the fleet, and I have my own fridge, I'm gonna load it with eggs and milk, and try and lift on my own ALOT. I believe in the functional fitness of the Marine Corps, but I also wanna keep strength training. Lifting and eating are two of my favorite hobbies, and I wanna keep both going during my time in service.

Worry more about your cardio. I thought I was hot shit when I reported to my duty station, good shape, stong as an ox, looked like i could be on the cover of mens fitness. Then my first PT day my ssgt took me on a 8 mile run to break me in. Made it about 3... I then got my first nickname "all state" since the day before we were all shooting the shit about football and I mentioned about making all state in high school.

Yea I had him behind me screaming it for 5 miles while I crawled back to the barraks and hid under my bunk lol. When we had formation after breakfast my team leader looked at me and said "way to go all-state" in a mockingly sarcastic voice, and the whole squat bout died.

Just stay out of trouble, make sure your gear is squared away, do your pt, every thing else will come with time. Worry about building muscle after you get comfortable and up too speed.

No coming to wilmington & starting shit!

They don't want you to be big, just strong.

A big marine requires more calories and may be slower.
They want you to be efficient under stress and with minimal nutrition if necessary.
It is inefficient to be big.

They know what they are doing, don't fight it.

I find your existence on this board to be inefficient. Oh Im sure they know what theyre doing always trust the experts blindly.

Boot camp is made to make you hate life. 12 lbs lucky bastard, I went from 212 to 178 inn boot. I'm at 220 now and plan on going up (6'5") muscle won't hurt you, makes it easier to carry your whole load IMO. Your no where near max weight I'd assume for your height, then your fine to go up.

anything and everything that will help you move uphill with weight. whats your MOS if 0311 doesn't matter their is a mental game and running but a weapon MOS is carrying weight, and lots of it.. Kettle bell swings, deadlifts. IMO the exercise that uses the same muscles as going uphill (I have dozens of threads asking USMC questions) sumo deadlift high pulls. Do those and burpees. Fartlek runs inbetween lifting days and you'll be good.

I'll say it again, sumo deadlift high pulls

burpees

fartlek running

P.S. you'll notice people sneak food into SOI all the time, IMO wait a week to see what happenns when people get caught they might legitimately get in trouble if not do it. Don't be the dumass eating a butterfinger. Protein bars and pop tarts every night allowed me to gain weight while there. (no joke 2 protein bars and 1 pack of pop tarts every night worked great didn't start till week 5 I regret not starting earlier)

P.S. keep working on pull ups they really will decide if your fit on not by that first PFT.... you don't wannt to be labeled out of shape, so absolutely do some running as I said.

Boot camp is made to make you hate life. 12 lbs lucky bastard, I went from 212 to 178 inn boot. I'm at 220 now and plan on going up (6'5") muscle won't hurt you, makes it easier to carry your whole load IMO. Your no where near max weight I'd assume for your height, then your fine to go up.

anything and everything that will help you move uphill with weight. whats your MOS if 0311 doesn't matter their is a mental game and running but a weapon MOS is carrying weight, and lots of it.. Kettle bell swings, deadlifts. IMO the exercise that uses the same muscles as going uphill (I have dozens of threads asking USMC questions) sumo deadlift high pulls. Do those and burpees. Fartlek runs inbetween lifting days and you'll be good.

I'll say it again, sumo deadlift high pulls

burpees

fartlek running

P.S. you'll notice people sneak food into SOI all the time, IMO wait a week to see what happenns when people get caught they might legitimately get in trouble if not do it. Don't be the dumass eating a butterfinger. Protein bars and pop tarts every night allowed me to gain weight while there. (no joke 2 protein bars and 1 pack of pop tarts every night worked great didn't start till week 5 I regret not starting earlier)

P.S. keep working on pull ups they really will decide if your fit on not by that first PFT.... you don't wannt to be labeled out of shape, so absolutely do some running as I said.

Yeah I'm typically the one that waits to see what happens to the first people that get caught, before attempting it myself. I hope its not a giant offense, cuz I'd love to be able to eat a giant power bar between the 3 giant meals a day that the Marine Corps provides.

Straight out of bootcamp eh? I lost 25 pounds. Even my wrestling coach said I looked sick because my cheeks were sucked in. Worry about cardio and pull ups. getting big is the least of your worries, just wait until you hit your first duty station (insert evil laugh). I took my first team of boots on a flak and pack run.......typical intro to the infantry. A lot of people get it much worse. You will hate field day. When I first got in, my team leader was some super sniper ninja motherfucker and took us on gas mask runs. Do you know how hard it is to firemans carry another person up a hill in a gas mask?? Enjoy the next 3 3/4 years (insert second evil laugh)

altima or danner boots worth their weight in gold

altima or danner boots worth their weight in gold
I have 3 pairs of danners with me in Iraq. Couldn't find Altimas in my size.

I went into the Army at 255 (I'm 6'8"). After basic & OCS I got down to 230s. Within 3 months I was back to 260. The weight comes back quick, but I do know that running a 5 mile at just a 9 minute per mile pace at 230 is way different than running one at 260.

Yes running like that fucked my squat too. It is fixable. I am a LT and can get away with doing my own PT occasionally so I can balance the two.

Back