Getting back to being a scary lightweight

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
So after losing weight (60 pounds) and being in the best shape of my life 2-3 years ago, not being able to train consistently lead to not caring about what I was eating. Then with shoulder surgery looming and then during recovery I tried to diet and shed a couple pounds, but the give a damn wasn't there and i gained more during that ordeal.

But- Now I'm done with college, have a great full time job starting next week, am in a town with a legit bjj/mma gym, and want to compete again. This is the log to hold me accountable in the weight room. Diet, working out, and training all go together for me. If I start slipping with one, I start slipping with them all; and time to lift is often the hardest to come by for me.

Current goals:
-Get bodyweight from start of 183 to 163 (my height is 5'8")
-Recover lost strength, especially in upper body, but shoulder surgery 5 months ago also limited the amount I could work out with my legs

Lifting plan to achieve this
Monday-
Deadlift 3x3 (+10 lbs from last week's weight)
Decline weighted situps
Squat 3x5 @ 90-95% current week's weight
Hanging leg raises
Assistance as needed for sticking points/as recovery allows

Tuesday-
Strict Overhead Press 3x5 (+5 pounds weekly)
Pull ups 3xburnout
Bench press 3x5 @ 90-95%
Pendlay rows 3x5
Assistance

Thursday-
Squat 3x5 (+10 Pounds)
back extensions
Deadlift 3x3 @90-95%
Core wheel
assistance

Friday-
Bench Press 3x5 +5 pounds
Pendlay rows 3x5 +3-5 pounds
Overhead Press 3x5 @90-95%
Pull-ups 3x even number each set
Brocep curls and tricep rope or dips (because it's Friday) 3x8-12

So that's the plan. with possibly (now that I think about it likely) starting at my light 8 rep rehab weight for Press and Bench, and being aggressive with the weight increases and allowing that to push the reps down to 5 over a few weeks or a month. I'm waiting to see how my schedule of when I get out of work, works in with the schedule at the training gym. I may try again at lifting in the AM before work if I don't need to be in until 8. Odds are good I get in 3 days a week, but keep this cycle of which workout.

PRs
Deadlift- 455
Bench- 285
Press- 185
Squat- 385
Others were in July last year just before my surgery, this squat one was back in HS football when I was a body weight of an unsightly 220, and before I broke my ankle for a second time.

Last edited:
Got into the gym today. Commercial one of course, but they have two squat racks I'm hoping don't get completely filled up during rush hours. Plus they have a location near my apartment and another near my work, so I'll see which one works best.

Only gonna log my main 6 lifts for simplicity sake.

Morning bodyweight- 182,6
Deadlift. 135 and 225 x 5 warmups. 3x3 @ 315
Squat- 135 warmup, 3x5 @ 225

Wow. My squat regressed a ton. Until today, I haven't had the flexibility in my right shoulder to hold the bar on my back. This was my first time back squatting since July. I've been doing some leg press, and in November I was front squatting. This was my first time in the gym at all since the first couple days of December, so I'm hoping things explode up even with watching what I'm eating closely. I'm actually gonna not actually track what I'm eating, unless the scale is stalling out on me or I have no energy and feel that's the culprit. Those shouldn't even have a possibility of happening for at least a month.

Good luck with the goals man. I'm hoping to be fighting at 145lbs again soon- the weight loss struggle is a real one.

So as mentioned, I got clearance to actually lift lift. It felt fucking great. 0 Problems with my shoulder, other than my Right going up slightly slower than my left on the last reps, as if my Left was the dominant one. No stability issues whatsoever

Tuesday, 1/20/15
Morning weight- 176.4 (Nice to see a lot of bloat coming off as I get done with the sweets)

Strict overhead Press 65x8 and 85x8 for warmups, 3x5 @ 115lbs for work. Warmups felt easy, so I jumped to the 35s on each side and was pleasantly surprised that it felt good.

Pull-ups burnout- 10,6,4 This sucked. Aw well

Bench assistance- 8 reps @ 135, 3x5 @205

Pendlay barbell row- 5 reps @ 115. 3x5 @145

Did some shoulder stabilty work from rehab as well

Later in the evening, I went to the bjj/kickboxing/mma gym in the area for the first time. Guys seemed really nice, even though I showed up late for Bjj as I had the times wrong from online. Oops. Bit frustrating, as I got handled by 2 blues and a purple (yes, I'm a white belt, but an experienced one and I like to think I can hold my own with most blues). I trained in the gi often enough at that little club in college, but I'm not used to going against guys who are really good in the gi and make it part of their game. Kickboxing was after that, and I felt more comfortable hitting the pads in combos than I normally did. Still a beginner there.

This was all yesterday, and damn am I fucking sore this morning. My legs still have bad bad DOMS from Monday. Definitely not lifting today, gonna just go to the training gym in the evening. On time this time.

Damn. I'm still sore from deadlift and more so the Squats on Monday. This sucks. But I forced myself to the gym anyway. Even my upper body is sore, and that never happens

1/23/15
Morning weight: 178.6 (I fluctuate so much)

Squat- 135 & 185 x5 for warm-ups
245 3x5 that felt really good
Deadlift 135 and 225 x5 warm up
315 3x3. This was difficult after the Squats, but glad I went for it
Also did 2 ab exercises, and some calf raises

Forgot to bring long pants for deadlift. Damn it. Scraped the hell out of my shins. Drew a little blood on the right

Didn't front squat like I'd really like to do on squat days due to wanting to walk tomorrow.

In the evening. I did an hour of bjj, hour of mma consisting of takedowns against a cage, and an hour of kickboxing. Holy fuck was I tired after that long day but it feels great after a long layoff

No workout today. Really wanted to get to the training gym because Friday is sparring day, but the radiator on my Jeep died. $550 that I don't have, as I won't get my first paycheck for 3 more weeks. Awesome

Morning weight was 176.6

Last edited:
So I've got a bandaid on the vehicle problem. They couldn't get my Jeep running with just a new radiator. I rented a car to get to my parents and the old beater I drove in high school. 280,000 miles and leaks oil, trans fluid, and coolant but gets me to the gyms and work for now

Morning weight- probably too much, didn't step on the scale. Had breaded walleye, french fries, and beer out at a local place with my dad. Then my mom made pancakes before I left in the morning again. Aw well.

Bench- 135x5, 185x5, 205 3x5
Pendlay row- 145 3x5
Strict press- 65x5, 95 3x5- went light as its my second lift, and wanted to double check everything felt smooth after the decent load on Thursday. And as mentioned, feeling pretty shitty mentally and physically today.
Pull ups- 7,7,7
Some arm bullshit afterwords

Nice blog. I just had two knee surgeries and I'm just getting back into it. Minus the bjj, I'm done now after these surgeries haha. I packed on the lbs too I'm afraid.

Nice blog. I just had two knee surgeries and I'm just getting back into it. Minus the bjj, I'm done now after these surgeries haha. I packed on the lbs too I'm afraid.

Thanks man. I wish there was less griping about petty personal problems in here but aw well. It helps throw perspective on things and that it's all just short things here.

Monday 1/26/28

Yep. Jeep is dead dead. Scrapping it for $325 and still gonna owe 200 on the damn thing. Aw well, what can you do. I'm just thankful for my family and that amazing Mazda that is still running.

Deadlift- 135x5, 225x5, 335-3x5
Decline sit-ups- 3x10@35
Squat- 135x5, 185x5, 225-3x5
Hanging leg raises- 3x15 w/ 10lb dumbbell
Dumbbell lunges- 3x5 each leg w/ 40s in each hand

Legs not feeling sore at all this morning, they always drop off hard after a layoff but come back quick. Should be able to push them by 20 pounds a week for a bit here.

Tuesday 1/27/15
Morning weight- 179.6 wow. No more no fucks given weekends. Been 2 days and still 2.5 pounds heavy

Strict overhead press- 65x5, 95x5, 125-3x5
I'll do 135 next week. It'll be a grind, but the I'll go to 5 pound increments after that
Pull ups 10,7,6
Bench 135x5, 205-3x5
Pendlay rows 145-3x5

Had an hour bjj, hour kickboxing, hour mma.
Gonna try a new training gym the rest of this week. I like everything about this place I did a week, except the low turnout. One day had 8 training partners, but the rest only 3 or 4

Quiet for a while because I got injured, again. It's thrown me, almost depression like. It just seems that everytime I start doing good and training/working out consistently a part of me wears out again sending me back to surgery or rehab for 6 months.

My left shoulder this time, not my right that had surgery on it. I based out to prevent being rolled after getting mount and felt it grind. Two days later it was still tight and sore. That was last Thursday. I haven't trained since then, and I also think holding the squat bar on my back was what hurt it so much worse after the initial jostle. Like that stretching was what cemented the damage.

I'm praying it's just a muscle pull, but it's 6 days now and still hurts when I get to about 3/4 of my range of motion and even the weight of my coffee cup hurts if my arm isn't tight against my side. It feels so much like a torn labrum again I'm scared. I don't think I could handle it and I'd just give up sports and working out for good. I just turned 24 this Sunday. Fuck. But I spend 9 months of the year in some sort of injury recovery mode I've just been given cursed genetics and nothing I do will prevent injury and I'm not mentally strong enough to stay in shape during a layoff in a town where I'm new and have no friends so would just sit around bored all day after work.

Once I figure out which hospital in the area is in my health insurance I'm gonna see a doc and see if they can tell if I need reconstructive surgery, on my fourth joint now. This is just such a load of unfair bullshit. I know millions out there have it far worse than me, I know, but I'm just tired of trying so hard and never getting anywhere.

That really sucks man.

I've got a bad lower back. I've hurt it 5+ times since I was a teenager to the point that it left me bedridden for days at a time, and months until I could sprint. I've pretty much accepted that if I want to be active, I need to do mobility work every day, or I'm just going to get hurt. I make it a higher priority than going to the gym.

I don't know how much this'd help your particular injuries/weak points, but it's something to keep in mind. I hope you get some good news, good luck.

That really sucks man.

I've got a bad lower back. I've hurt it 5+ times since I was a teenager to the point that it left me bedridden for days at a time, and months until I could sprint. I've pretty much accepted that if I want to be active, I need to do mobility work every day, or I'm just going to get hurt. I make it a higher priority than going to the gym.

I don't know how much this'd help your particular injuries/weak points, but it's something to keep in mind. I hope you get some good news, good luck.

Damn man, sorry to hear. This is what i was talking about when I knew I had no right to complain, but still felt shitty about the whole ordeal anyway. Glad it sounds like you haven't given up and are still doing what you can.

Me- I hit the treadmill in my apartment complex's little fitness center after work yesterday (2/3/15). Just went 25 minutes at a 9 minute pace to make it easy and me wanting/willing to do it more. Plan is to increment 15 seconds pace per instance on the dreadmill until 8min/mile for that ~30 min legth (I use the run zombies app. Nice balance of story with still having my hard rock through the headphones). Goal on this thing would be to get to a 7 min/mile for 3 miles, and then extend that out to 5. Planning on going to the gym tomorrow (today) to do leg machines. so

Tues 2/3/15
Morning weight- 179.0 (Yeah, it's going up. Getting thrown off kilter right before the superbowl which was also my birthday led to one hell of a binge night, and the days before and after weren't pretty either)
Treadmill- 25 mintes @ 9min pace for 2.75 miles

edit: And I forgot to include this even though it's extremely important. There were like 3 instances while just jogging that my left shoulder hurt and felt instable and that sharp line of pain along the front of the shoulder. I'm doing the leg machines today so no jostling, and then getting in to see the doc Friday. I don't know if they'll just jump straight to the MRI machine to see if it's a tear (soft tissue can't be seen by x-ray sadly, MRI is expensive even with insurance) or if he'll be able to tell if it's just a pull or strain without that.

Last edited:
First machine leg day. Feels depressing

Wed 2/4/15
Morning weight- 178.6
Leg press. 5x270, 3x5@360
Went light here to figure out the machine
Decline sit-ups- 3x8@35
Dumbell lunges- 10 each leg with 40 in each hand x3
Hamstring Curl- 3x8@140
Quad extension- 3x8@120
Calf raises- 3x12@360
Hanging leg raise- 3x20 with 10 Dumbell

Yesterday
Thurs 2/5/15
Morning weight- 178.2
Treadmill- 25 mins @ 8:40 pace for 2.85 miles

Today's morning weight was 177.6, and then I went and half binged on vending machine bullshit. I don't even know why. I think I had 6 things from there. I just can't shake that urge no matter how much I hate myself for it.

So I went and saw the doc about my shoulder. It's just a bad pull, not actually a tear. I felt a little foolish but apparently I'm just paranoid and over reacted because of injuring my right so bad and this feeling similar. He said just rest, and then come back with a week of laughably light weights for upper body to see how it feels.

Saturday 2/8/15
Note that I can't squat again until that range of motion comes back, but I no longer feel like front squats or Deadlifts will make the injury worse

Front Squat- 135x5, 185 3x5
Deadlift- 135x5, 225x5, 315 3x3
Leg Press- 360x5, 450 3x5
Calf raises- 3x15@360

And today is the first day I skip without a real excuse. Damn it. Just didn't feel like going and stupidly just let myself drive home after work.

Made it today

Deadlift- 135x5, 225x5, 335 3x5 and it felt good
Front squat- 135x5, 185 3x5
Some decline abs with 35#
Dumbell lunges 3x10 with 40#ers
Calf raises 375 12,15,15

Seriously, why I let myself skip the gym even if I cut it short and feel I didn't give full effort is beyond me. I felt a little crummy coming in. I feel amazing right now.

I think tomorrow will be my first baby my shoulders day. Gonna be embarrassing but whatever, I know no one here

Did strict press 65 pounds, 3 sets of 10
Bench 135 pounds, 3 sets of 10
Did 2 sets of 6 pull ups

We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Today as well, went to a different gym to show a girl the form of compound lifts like in starting Strength and strong lifts 5x5, as she'd been asking me at work about a strength plan. Hope it takes, she's a younger intern and something like this could really help her out

Thanks a lot for the share. I checked it out, and many of the things are the same as the rehab I was on from my surgeon for my right so that's a really good sign. He has a few more things with Dumbells instead of the cable machine so I'll look at those variations

Back