Getting back into training after a long layoff

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Vrill, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Vrill

Vrill White Belt

I first began BJJ in 2002. That only lasted about a year before I gave it up due to issues involving family and finances. I finally got back into BJJ in 2008.

This was cut short after about six months because I required two surgeries on my nose after taking an errant knee to the face while rolling. It feels like too much to get into now, but I basically had to have a radical nose-job to make it look and function normally again.

After recovering, I went to a few classes and found myself completely gun-shy to ever engage. My first real injury in BJJ had a major psychological impact on my training. I told myself I'd get over it, but I realized I was losing any interest or motivation to train.

Now a year and a half or so later, I've gotten the itch to train again, but the trepidation is still lurking in there. I realize very well that it's just part of training, but I grew up doing martial arts, and this was the only time I ever got hurt. I've also never been in worse shape in my life since the injury. I've put on nearly 30 pounds. Getting back in the game now seems a little intimidating. One thing that is motivating me is that I will be turning 30 in January. I'm not old, but I'm not a young kid anymore, either. I feel like if I ever want to get anywhere in BJJ, I don't have much time to waste. I know the only answer to my problem is to just suck it up and go, but I'm curious if anyone else here has had to deal with this sort of thing.

Have any of you ever had these kind of emotions after long layoffs from injury? Or just after a long layoff with out an injury. How did you deal with it?

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Vrill

Vrill White Belt

bump

3. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Just suck it up and go. I bought a house and was busy for about 7 months but came back w/o any trepidation. You're going to get sore, subbed, whatever, it's part of the sport. I've been hurt with rib injuries before, it happens. Each time I come back from a layoff, I'm like why did I miss it for so damn long? Would you rather go and be humbled or would you rather just spectate?

For what it's worth, I'm 34. Have a classmate who's over 50 and had a major knee injury and came back as well.

4. Glass6060

Glass6060 White Belt

I started training again 2 years ago after a 5 year hiatus, and the hardest part of the whole ordeal is sacking up and setting foot on the mat again. If you can will yourself to show up for the first few weeks, then you're set. If not, maybe you really didn't miss training as much as you thought you did.

5. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

I've been training again for the past 2 months after a 2-year layoff. I had some health problems, got married and had a daughter among other things that kept me away. In that time, I gained 60 lbs. I just decided to get my fatass back in the gym (both of them) and train. I'm in the gym at 5am in the morning lifting and doing cardio and I train for 2-3 hours after my daughter goes to bed at night. It's tough but every day gets easier and easier. Just think back to what made you want to do BJJ int he first place and see if that conjures up any motivation. Hopefully it does.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I will be turning 30 in Feburary.

6. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

"Do you want to be a Fu**ing fighter?!"

-Dana White

7. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

In all seriousness, I took a two year lay off and came back about six months ago. My reasons for not training differed from yours but I'm so glad I'm back. My only regret is taking so much time off - I always wonder where I'd be if I had never stopped.

8. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Yep, this!

I swear, the hardest thing is just making your first appearance back. Just jump back on the wagon man.

9. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

lol

10. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

I have never faced a huge injury or a giant layoff, but the trick to me is to find out the slowest day and return on it, and let the instructor know what's what. Don't start with the day of explosion training or takedown day. Start with the rolling day, or whatever is the day where you don't have to do suicides and soldier crawls and climb up ropes or whatever. Test the waters first. Go one day, then think about the other. You don't need to make a triumphal return and set your sights at the world championship. Just go there like "oh hi professor tudo bem? I found my old gi behind the sofa and remembered how fun it was. Can I roll a bit today?" and there you are.

Remember, don't be a bitch, but never be afraid to bitch. Say your nose is hurting if things are too hard, say that you're not confident, if you feel like leaving in the middle of the class, make an excuse and just leave for the day. Test the waters, take it easy, it's supposed to be fun, and you're just returning.

11. dkaki

dkaki White Belt

i just came of from a shoulder injury...tendon tear...ive stopped for almost half a year...its hard...you will have hesitations...u will be scared...right now im scared of putting force on my left arm..its not completely healed yet...it still hurts every now and then...but what i do is..i tell my teammates to be careful of my injury...you should too...im sure they'll understand and be careful...just do this until u get enuf courage to grapple full force again...just give it time...

12. Vrill

Vrill White Belt

Thanks guys. I think I've found the right school and I'm going to check it out next week. If I tell myself to wait until I get back in shape before going, I never will. I appreciate the support.