Getting back into BJJ after 18 months.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Fumbles, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Fumbles

Fumbles Yellow Belt

Before I had been consistently training for a year and a half as well and then stopped going because life. Well a lot of things have changed, for better or worse, but luckily a bonus is I have the chance to get back into it. I'm just gonna jump right back in but I feel rusty as hell. Any tips to shake off the rust a little faster from those with similar experiences?

2. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Just get back in there and maintain a positive attitude. Get you nutrition right and keep at it.

3. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

baptism by fire. It'll burn the rust right off in 3-6 months, maybe even less depending on how talented you are

4. Rico

Rico Franklin Platinum Member

Keep going. It took 2-3 months or so after a four year hiatus for me to feel comfortable. Another couple before I wasn't "ashamed" of my belt color. Don't let not instantly getting it back bring you down. Just train.

5. Gumbi_guard

Gumbi_guard Green Belt

Any time in the past ive taken a few months off, ive felt BETTER when ive returned (renewed love for the art, I supoose)
    It's important to not make excuses/blame the mat rust, and just train normally. Youll find your groove pretty quickly

6. Fumbles

Fumbles Yellow Belt

This rings true for me. I wasn't a blue belt long when I left but I was a blue belt. I feel like I'll be a white belt all over again. It almost feels wrong to go back in wearing a blue belt.

Motivation's never been an issue for me. I enjoy it deeply and its hard for me to get discouraged because every opportunity is a chance to learn. Life circumstances prevented me training and they've changed so I can get back into it regularly again.

Thank you and everyone that has posted here for your thoughts. Specific tips help but encouragement is just as good. I'll jump back in and keep going.

7. Rico

I was a purple. The worst part is your mind knowing what your supposed to do but your body not responding...And gassing, lots of gassing. I was a legit purple belt for about the first 30 seconds of every roll when I first came back lol. It comes back slowly but before you know it..you're there.

What really sucks id's I'm gonna have to quit again for a while here pretty soon. For a great reason but still sucks nonetheless.

8. Fumbles

Fumbles Yellow Belt

Yea my conditioning is pretty **** right now. Hope I can make it to the end of class without needing to just give them a tap haha.

Will you have to stop for a long time?

9. Rico

Depends...I got another little Rico on the way. The wifey has always been supportive of the BJJ but my children is literally the only thing I wouldn't sacrifice for it...as far as quality time. I stretched thin as it is with an extremely active 8yo with his own grappling career lol.

10. Fumbles

Fumbles Yellow Belt

Congratulations! Soon they can be your sparring partners. :] Maybe you could go to an open mat couple times a month just to scratch the itch and help keep rust off? No idea how it is raising a kid lol.

11. Rico

Babies are rough. And I actually have a mini gym in my basement and a few guys from the gym that already come over. Still don't know if I'll have time.

I wrestled for a long time through school so I get to "home-coach" my son now. Kids a beast

12. Fumbles

Fumbles Yellow Belt

Be sure to post a vid of his first tournament. How long has he been training?

13. Rico

He's had his first wrestling tourney last year. And he chooses what he wants to compete in on his own volition though wrestling is what I'd like him to stick with.

Wrestling taught me my work ethic, toughness and a lot about life in general. Bjj can wait...

Also, I don't put my kids on the internet or I would gladly post it. He went 8-1 last year.

14. BJJ NINJA

BJJ NINJA Turtle Power

Do your thing man, train hard, have fun.

15. 2COATS

2COATS Blue Belt

I took a year off BJJ once due to a nasty chest injury and the day I got back on the mats I remember not even trying to tap anyone. Just trying to defend, breath easy and get back into the swing of the endurance aspect of rolling. Took me about 2 months to really shake the rust off but after that my cardio was back and skills started to improve rapidly. Good luck.

16. drivesrf

drivesrf White Belt

Let me know how it goes. Same boat ,I had just gotten my blue belt a month prior to stopping. To top it off I moved to a new state so I'd have to go to a new school! I want to get back into it so bad but I'm nervous about going back, and I'm only out about 5 months.

17. drivesrf

drivesrf White Belt

Getting the nerve to try out a new school after a hiatus is the worst! Ugh

18. dizzydean

dizzydean Blue Belt

Just get in there but expect to get tapped by everybody lol. You'll regain your timing, endurance, muscle memory eventually.