getting a stat. bike vs rowing machine for cardio

roventu

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
planning on buying a cardio machine. hoping ppl with in-home gyms can help me choose the right equipment. Preferably it would be a recumbent stationary bike, or a standard rowing machine (bar+cable pulls, not the hydraulic contraptions on Ebay)

-price is probably the biggest deciding factor: i am hoping to spend $200-300CAD on this. can I get a reasonably good machine for this price? (if not, what would be the minimum. I am okay with spending maybe +100$ more, if it'll be a more worthwhile investment than a yearly gym membership to use this machine)

-functionality: I would be doing this cardio to supplement muay thai training. yeah both will be good in the longterm, just wondering if anyone has a case that one machine edges out the other in this department.

-other considerations: if anyone has other personal experiences with these machines, dont hesistate to share. i'm mainly considering these for their low-impact nature compared to treadmill.

thanks for your help

It's going to be hard to get a concept 2 rower with that budget...and that's the only rower worth buying imo.

Fucking awesome

planning on buying a cardio machine. hoping ppl with in-home gyms can help me choose the right equipment. Preferably it would be a recumbent stationary bike, or a standard rowing machine (bar+cable pulls, not the hydraulic contraptions on Ebay)

<snip>

thanks for your help
I use both a stationary bike and a rowing machine. I'm not an MMA practitioner, btw, so don't take what I have to say as coming from someone who engages in MMA training (I'm just a fan of the sport). My main fitness activity is cycling. So I'm married to the stationary bike, which I use to maintain a basic level of fitness during the cycling off-season.

As to pricing, I'd suggest the following: find out what are quality brands of stationary bikes, then check your local craigslist. A few years ago I got an older, but really high quality recumbent stationary bike that was fully functional for $80 that way. The thing cost close to $1000 when new, so it was a great deal. Recumbent stationary bikes are the best target since they tend to be bought by older ladies who tire of using them, then just want to get rid of them after they sit around taking up space. There are really good quality upright stationary bikes, but they're more compact and tend to be bought by cyclists who might be more concerned about recouping their investment. So you're likely to find the lowest prices will be for quality used recumbents.

As to rowing machines, like the other poster noted, concept2 is the way to go. I use one weekly at an exercise facility at the wife's work and it is a great machine. I really like the workout, which is a much better total-body workout than the stationary bike, but can be just as intense cardio-wise. You'd be lucky to find one of these used for a few hundred dollars: I did once run across someone selling one for $700 USD, but that's probably unusually low. New ones are close to 1k USD. But they're great machines, and if I didn't have easy access to one I'd probably buy one. I've seen them on Amazon on a no-interest payment plan, by the way. They're a bit bulky, so would not be easy to stow away when not in use, so be aware of that.

Last edited:
i msged like 10 ads, the ones I wanted didnt return email. only the sketchy ones responded, one guy wanted me to buy a recumbent bike that lost its electrical screen, and wanted me to buy it within hours of replying lol. but if I dont find anything before it gets too cold to jog, ill just buy one from walmart. this is the one im looking at (looks similar to the one at my old gym)

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/exerpeu...735075?rrid=ViewedPurchased|item_page.rr1|0|0

You'll have a far easier time getting a decent bike for your budget than a rower.

The benefit of a rower is that it is total body, so you get peripheral conditioning adaptations in more muscle tissue, in addition to the general cardiovascular adaptations. The downside is that rowing often involves repeated flexion/extension of the lower back, so there's a risk of back pain and injury.

Thank you all, first few replies have already been very informative

...other considerations: if anyone has other personal experiences with these machines, dont hesistate to share. i'm mainly considering these for their low-impact nature compared to treadmill...

I have come and sold many pieces of equipment. My biggest mistake was a treadmill. My best decisions are:

1. Concept C2 Rower model E
2. New Airdynne bike

I did also own a LifeFitness stationary bike BUT by design it only worked the lower half where items listed (1&2) work the entire body.

So those 2 are the only worth comparing or/and buying IMHO. I own both, and I am no rich dude. But with my body issues, I can't run, I can't do many things but and even burpees I have to pay strict attention to form and etc. With these it's balls out and the results speak for themselves.

How to decide on which one; well first and foremost like anything they will eventually get boring. But there are many ways to spice it up or just do what I do and watch a show on Netflix with the subtitles on so you don't have to have the volume all the way up, and bang out a session and the time will fly.

However, the Concept C2 allows you to connect it to a computer and you can have rowing races with people around the world or/and against the computer. I yet to connect it to a computer for been watching NCIS as I row.

I would recommend both. Space constraints stick to the Airdyne. But with the Concept you can separate it into two pieces and place in the corner as well. Either way you get out of it what you put into it with either of the 2 I have listed.

You might be able to find an older model C2 in your price range, e.g.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-exercise-equ...ne/1093058963?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$_35.JPG

The downside is that it doesn't have the electronic components to track distance, stroke rate, timing etc.

I like the C2 because it is fully body and moves your joints through a larger ROM than other cardio machines.

just an update, managed to get a good deal on the schwinn 217 recumbent bike. owner said it was used more as a clothes hanger, which is sad for him and good for me

72889_117-217_Owner_Manual_image_sm.jpg

thanks to everyone for their input and help. if i ever see an airdyne cheap, ill probably buy it too

The benefit of a rower is that it is total body, so you get peripheral conditioning adaptations in more muscle tissue, in addition to the general cardiovascular adaptations. The downside is that rowing often involves repeated flexion/extension of the lower back, so there's a risk of back pain and injury.
That was exactly the problem the guy who was selling the Concept2 for $700 US was having: he said the rower was causing him lower back problems. It has not caused me any problems at all. I do a half hour session one day per week, setting the tension at maximum, putting in 6k-6.5k meters. Been doing that for several months now. It's something I look forward to each week. I feel it's giving me a really good core workout. Still kind of wish I'd bought that rower for $700: it was almost brand new and had only been used a few times. But it's hard to justify that kind of purchase when I can get access to one pretty much whenever I want, for no cost. And you can find, as someone noted, older Concept2 models for lower cost. I think the lowest I ever saw was around $400 US.

Go with the bike. Bikes are easier to zone out on and therefore you can train for longer durations. For added calorie burning wear sweatpants and a hoodie. I lost 50lbs in 3 months doing an hour on the bike 5 days a week after weight training.

That was exactly the problem the guy who was selling the Concept2 for $700 US was having: he said the rower was causing him lower back problems. It has not caused me any problems at all. I do a half hour session one day per week, setting the tension at maximum, putting in 6k-6.5k meters. Been doing that for several months now. It's something I look forward to each week. I feel it's giving me a really good core workout. Still kind of wish I'd bought that rower for $700: it was almost brand new and had only been used a few times. But it's hard to justify that kind of purchase when I can get access to one pretty much whenever I want, for no cost. And you can find, as someone noted, older Concept2 models for lower cost. I think the lowest I ever saw was around $400 US.

Lower back problems are very common in rowers. But you're not a rower, you're someone who does some rowing once a week, so the risk is significantly reduced, especially if you're prudent when it comes to other demands you put on your back, and keep the "core" strong. Plus there's individual variation in rowing technique and anatomy of the spinal discs that affect individual risk.

I have come and sold many pieces of equipment. My biggest mistake was a treadmill. My best decisions are:

1. Concept C2 Rower model E
2. New Airdynne bike

I did also own a LifeFitness stationary bike BUT by design it only worked the lower half where items listed (1&2) work the entire body.

So those 2 are the only worth comparing or/and buying IMHO. I own both, and I am no rich dude. But with my body issues, I can't run, I can't do many things but and even burpees I have to pay strict attention to form and etc. With these it's balls out and the results speak for themselves.

How to decide on which one; well first and foremost like anything they will eventually get boring. But there are many ways to spice it up or just do what I do and watch a show on Netflix with the subtitles on so you don't have to have the volume all the way up, and bang out a session and the time will fly.

However, the Concept C2 allows you to connect it to a computer and you can have rowing races with people around the world or/and against the computer. I yet to connect it to a computer for been watching NCIS as I row.

I would recommend both. Space constraints stick to the Airdyne. But with the Concept you can separate it into two pieces and place in the corner as well. Either way you get out of it what you put into it with either of the 2 I have listed.

I have been wondering about getting an airdyne for quite some time now. You really think its that good?

If you are rowing that distance in that time domain with that damper(not resistance)you are incredibly ignorant. Do you even know how the damper works in relation to drag factor?

If you have low back problems from rowing on the c2 you are entirely ignorant or lazy.

Also it's another indicator that you know less than nothing about rowing when you refer to it as purely cardio.

For that budget you might be able to get a used bike on craigslist and just get a trainer for it. Added bonus that you can just ride it outside. Rowers are great in terms of blood perfusion, but the technical requirements are higher (it's really hard to ride the bike in a way that will hurt you, you have to actually learn technique for the rower)

or meet them halfway and get an Airdyne. Probably much cheaper used than a C2 which has crazy inflation now from Crossfitters.

or meet them halfway and get an Airdyne. Probably much cheaper used than a C2 which has crazy inflation now from Crossfitters.

This. You can get a decent airdyne for that price

Have not seen an airdyne in the gym before actually, they seem pretty uncommon on used sites too. are they a newish machine, or just havent caught on (bc it really just looks like an elliptical bike lol)

Found a few "okay"-looking ads on craigslist/kijiji. Now to follow up on them. Honestly i havent made a big purchase on one of these sites before, the biggest would be an ipod nano (160$), and i swear the owner thought it was broken so she sold it, thankfully it was only the charger that was broken lol

Have not seen an airdyne in the gym before actually, they seem pretty uncommon on used sites too. are they a newish machine, or just havent caught on (bc it really just looks like an elliptical bike lol)

Found a few "okay"-looking ads on craigslist/kijiji. Now to follow up on them. Honestly i havent made a big purchase on one of these sites before, the biggest would be an ipod nano (160$), and i swear the owner thought it was broken so she sold it, thankfully it was only the charger that was broken lol

Take your handgun and meet in public places when you deal with Craig's list people.

There's been a lot of super sketchy shut that has gone down from cl. Id say at a minimum, don't let them deliver anything to your house or come to your house....always meet somewhere.

Really the best choice is the one you like the best, or hate the least, for a simple reason: you are more likely to do it consistently.

Otherwise you are carefully selecting and purchasing a clothes rack.

This.

Airdynes are legit and old ones are easy to find for around $50. The only downside of the old ones is that they don't have the fancy electronics on them.

I agree with what Tosa said, with a Rower vs a Bike you'll get total body conditioning from the rower where as the stationary bike will just be lower body in terms of muscular adaptations.

From an aerobic point of view, both would do the job as long as you are training within the right Heart Rate zone.

I'd rather get a rower but for your budget I guess its a bike.

can't beat a Concept2 for overall body conditioning. i don't believe that shit about ppl getting back problems from a rowing machine as you can always reduce the damper setting until its ok for your strength levels. unless you're actually in a boat for years in the same seat, rowing will make your back and posture better.

that being said, if its just to complement your muay thai, a bike might be a better option because you're probably getting plenty of upper body work during your fight training, and you can also use a bike for low intensity recovery/lsd moreso than a rower.

This.

Airdynes are legit and old ones are easy to find for around $50. The only downside of the old ones is that they don't have the fancy electronics on them.

This right here TS. Old Schwinn Air Dynes are the way to go for budget. Ive seen them for $25. I also have an old Air Dyne and a C2 Rower. I like the rower more I suppose......but I also paid more for it. Maybe that plays into my preference, ha!

Plus the Air Dynes are upper and lower body bikes.

This.

Have you ever used a Precor Bike, Tosa?

Back