Getting a dog, any experiences?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Nesruk, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Nesruk

Nesruk Blue Belt

This is one of the happiest days of my life, I just got an answer back from my landlord and I can get a dog to live in my apartment with me :D I've been quite depressed for a long time and hope that maybe the responsiblity and companionship of a dog might make the days easier. When I lived at home we had a dog for 11 years so I'm accustomed to having one too.

What I was wondering was if anyone could share their experiences with different breeds of dogs. I'd prefer a dog that doesnt shed or sheds little, isnt super high energy (barks at everything and cant sit still for 5 mins) and got to be mellow around kids and other dogs.

The 2 breeds I've been looking most at are the Portugese Water Dog (which I've had some positive experience with earlier when I watched one for a week):

[​IMG]

and Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier:

[​IMG]

Both fit my requirements pretty good though I'm worried the terrier might be a bit high energy for me. Anyone got experience with these or other breeds? I know there are a lot of dog lovers here on SherDOG so I'm hoping someone might have good suggestions :)

2. lsa

lsa Maître d' at The Pussy Lounge

Dogs are terrible terrible beings.
    And they eat dog pooh.

3. Nesruk

Nesruk Blue Belt

Go away terrible cat person! :p

Zimo likes this.
  4. Doughbelly

Doughbelly αlpha-nerdette, action scientist

Get a mutt.

If you want one that doesn't shed, get a mutt of one of the 'hypoallergenic' dog breeds - maltese, poodles, etc. I inherited a fucking awesome Maltese - poodle mutt that was the best, smartest dog I ever had, even though he was a bit of a coward. Mine ended up medium sized, not at all toy dog sized.

Mutts - smart, healthier, all around better dogs than purebreeds.

Big Nut Energy and seatea like this.
  5. Dr Hannibal Lecter

Dr Hannibal Lecter Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest! Platinum Member

At a restraurant eating a succulent Chinese meal.
    Mutts FTW! This is the one I'm getting. It's waiting in a shelter in Poland till there are enough orders to make a trip to Holland.

[​IMG]

Some more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    OvaryHugger, philth and FinalFight like this.
  6. AgentSmecker

AgentSmecker Brown Belt

Just a speck of sand in an endless desert of agony
  7. Doughbelly

The only problem with mutts is that you don't know what you're going to get. Mine was like a larger, longer and leaner Maltese and was pretty big at about 15 lbs. Between groomings, he'd look like this (almost a dead ringer):

[​IMG]

But with a puppy cut, would look just like a big Maltese puppy.

8. Dr Hannibal Lecter

You never really know what you are gonna get with a dog, but with the right adoption agency they'll inform you as best as they can about the character of the dog and see if you'd fit the dog.

9. FinalFight

FinalFight Black Belt

this

10. choke you

choke you strangulation belt

I've only owned boxers and all I can say about them is they're hyper and always need to be in your face. Great dogs though.

11. choke you

choke you strangulation belt

Depending on your situation at an apartment they can be a lot of work taking out for walks and bathroom breaks. I put a 6 foot fence around my backyard so I can just let her out.

12. Doughbelly

I mean with a mutt, the same two dogs won't produce the same looking progeny. In any given litter between two dissimilar dog breeds, you can end up with wildly varying looks and personalities. Much more so than purebreeds.

13. Dr Hannibal Lecter

Yeah, I know what you meant and I agree. But if you get it from a breeder it's just a pup and it can still grown up to become anything. And even though breeds have certain personality characteristics attached to it, it's far from a guarantee. If you go to a shelter you can see what the dog looks like, so that won't be a surprise and the dog is largely formed personality wise, so if you have a good adoption agency they can tell you a lot about all the dogs they have.

For example I already know that my dog will be good with other dogs and with cats. Which is important because I will be dropping it of at my parents from time to time, or just visit with him. And they have 2 dogs and 3 cats. I also know he doesn't particularly bark much. He's playful, stable, obedient, affectionate and social. Pretty much the perfect dog for me, lol.

14. llperez22

llperez22 Red Belt

Get 2 dogs.

You have to take alpha status in order to properly train a dog. So get 2, one to keep and one to sacrifice by killing it in front of the other dog when it misbehaves. It leaves a strong lasting impression.

15. Dr Hannibal Lecter

Lol, I like your way of thinking.

16. punky brewster

punky brewster Black Belt

Adopt, don't buy.

And get an adult, not a puppy. Most puppies end up getting adopted anyway. There are some great adult dogs out there, and if you adopt one from a rescue org that has lived with a foster family for several months, they can tell you all about it's personality and habits.

Even with purebred puppies, their personality can be a crapshoot. A sweet four month old puppy can end up as a neurotic, loud, overly protective adult.

17. Nesruk

Nesruk Blue Belt

I've thought about adopting too, but its a bit harder here in Norway since we dont have "the pound" where they got lots of dogs. You can only contact people directly if they make adds on websites or in the newspaper (which I dont sub to) and they'll say anything about their dogs to get rid of them.

18. Dr Hannibal Lecter

Find a good organisation that arranges them. The people that work for a good organisation love dogs and they're not gonna lie to you as they want a good home for the dog, and not just the first one that presents itself. My mom is a volunteer for one, she'll interview potential buyers and will even deny adoption if the person doesn't seem like a good owner.

For example there was a lady who wanted a dog to keep her other dog company while she was gone for most of the entire day. That's not a good owner and that've meant she'd have 2 dogs she'd neglect instead of one. So there was no deal.

Or when people want a certain dog, but it doesn't fit the description of the situation of the potential owner they'll advice them to look at other dogs and come with suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  19. genecop

genecop Red Belt

Dogs are awsome, terriers in particular can be a handful and may not the best choice for an Apt... I had an Airdale...Remember dogs are not temporary fixes, they are long time commitments that require time time time...in order to get the most enjoyment out of any dog you must learn how to train..I find most people don't really understand what it takes, after the cute puppy stage is over you have a very intelligent time consuming animal. Take yoUr time, do it right..

20. Nesruk

Nesruk Blue Belt

Thats the plan. I got lots of time and intend spending it on the animal, both as a puppy and as an adult.

genecop likes this.