Getting a belt but feeling like you don't deserve it

flamenco diablo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just got promoted to yellow belt in judo but I really feel like I don't deserve it.

Besides, being a whitebelt is cool. There's no pressure to perform at a certain level so the whole ranking thing never enters your mind. This is the first time I get promoted in judo/bjj and I feel like I have a responsibility to consistenly beat white belts in order to uphold the integrity of our belt system. I hate that crap. I want back to white!

I know peole bitch about being underapreciated, but I thought I'd reverse the argument.

Discuss.

I understand what you're saying but it's good to push yourself.

Don't let your ego/belt get the better of you. Accept it and if you need to tap, tap.

Congrats on the belt btw.

Congrats on the belt promotion....the feelings you have are there to hopefully inspire you, to push you to ensure that you keep improving.

BTW, how long have you been training in Judo?

Rip Van Winkle said:
Congrats on the belt promotion....the feelings you have are there to hopefully inspire you, to push you to ensure that you keep improving.

BTW, how long have you been training in Judo?

About a year now...

Congratulations on getting a belt man! Don't worry about the tapping thing, you're there to learn.

Dont put so much pressure on yourself. Just concentrate on learning more and becoming the best yellow belt you can.

I just got my blue belt in BJJ tonight, and I was definitely surprised and shocked at first. My instructor gave it to me at the beginning of class. After that everyone was out for my blood. But I am definitely looking foward to the challnge. There are some big dudes in the class though that are not far behind me and they were like all surprised when I got it. But my instructor said even though they compete good with me, they use all strength and no technique. Im pretty sure when these guys get good theyll prolly be able to do me since theyre that much bigger. But point being, if you get tapped by a lower belt you just gotta shrug it off.

Omfg i can believe the pressure on yellow belts in judo! You know that EVERYONE gets their yellow belt after 6 months. I don

flamenco diablo said:
I just got promoted to yellow belt in judo but I really feel like I don't deserve it.

Besides, being a whitebelt is cool. There's no pressure to perform at a certain level so the whole ranking thing never enters your mind. This is the first time I get promoted in judo/bjj and I feel like I have a responsibility to consistenly beat white belts in order to uphold the integrity of our belt system. I hate that crap. I want back to white!

I know peole bitch about being underapreciated, but I thought I'd reverse the argument.

Discuss.
I see where you are coming fom. It kinda takes a little of the fun out of it cause your are always being judged how easy you beat people of lesser experiance. But ya gotta remember your not a Blackbelt and no one truly expects you to perform every move and position against new guys in a perfect manner.

I guess if the instructor feels you're ready for the nextlevel then you are. It's always more secure never to advance, and be the best in a belt level, than the worst in a higher for a while.

rank has its privledges and responsibilities. i don't think that just cuz youre yellow that you should dominate all whitebelts. the belt signifies growth and reaching a technical level but that doesnt imply you'll domiate lower rank for the rest of your life. mind you, white belts will prolly gun for you because they want to be where you are and want to shine against more skilled students. if anything, that'll improve your game. likewise, you will gun for green belts to show that you can hang with them...i guess whats most important is to not lose that fire.

hehe

i gunned for everyone when I was a white

am a yellow now and it doesn't change. You'll get thrown by white belts. It is going to happen. Just make sure you throw them more :)

Enjoy your new rank and its responsibilities! Your instructor wouldn't have promoted you unless he felt it was time. Heck, someday maybe we see a post here wishing you were "back" to yellow. Its all part of the journey, enjoy it.

Don't worry about it! :)

It sounds like you feel you have to prove your worth to others to justify your rank, this is just not so! Your Sensei wouldn't give you a rank unless he felt you deserved it, so trust your teacher and do your best. Of course there is no preassure on a white belt, but honestly, Yellow isn't much worse. Once you advance you will learn that preassure is all relative to your station- white has the least, black has the most.

Just keep on learning. 1 year at white is a very good amount of time, you deserve this promotion, now go make the best of it!

Happy Camper said:
Omfg i can believe the pressure on yellow belts in judo! You know that EVERYONE gets their yellow belt after 6 months. I don

I trained one year also and have a yellow belt. At this level its no pressure at all from the enviroment, but nevertheless l have some pressure from myself. l feel so unskilled and repeatedly thrown by blue/brown/black belts all the time. l am 30 now and l'll probably be 40 when reaching brown belt so there is no hurry at all. :D Take your time and try to learn the techniques left and right and you should not be ashamed of your belt. l wasnt in for the belts at first but l guess l have to take some colors if l want to learn some "special" moves as my sensei promised me. He is an old JJ guy with tons of tricks.

flamenco diablo said:

Discuss.

This is where you find out if its your sport or your passion. I got my Blue belt in 4 or 5 months coming from 0 training of any grappling except I had Muythai started at the same time. I had the pressure as well and you might hit that plateau like I did. Im still a blue and stopped going for awhile and now I feel like I just started all over again with so much to learn and excited about getting better. Fight thru it.

Man I hope I don't get my blue anytime soon.. I still want to do 3 or 4 more competitions as a whitebelt before i get thrown in there with the blues bordering purple... But i mean if my instructor gives it to me i'll take it...

Took you a year to attain yellow? ...Well, you're lucky you had white for that long! haha

heh I got my yellow testing on my fourth class. Granted, I had a year of BJJ under my belt...

Back