1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Get your mouthguard at the dentist (review...sort of)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Spoken, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Spoken

Spoken Gold Belt

So my mother is a dental hygienist and my uncle is a dentist... I went in to my mother's office to have my teeth checked after a big hit in jiu jitsu; ends up I have a few chipped teeth and one of them is fractured all the way into the root.

My uncle was telling me about how most mouth guards fail to protect your bottom teeth well. I figured I was good then since I used one on that protected the upper and lower teeth.
    Ends up the way you clinch your teeth with those is actually pretty bad on the jaw. This makes perfect sense because my jaw will hurt for awhile after a BJJ class.
    When I chipped my teeth, I was wearing a shock-doctor Ultra Gel simply because I dropped my double.

So I had one made whilst at the dentist office. Its a pretty thick rubber and it molded perfectly to your mouth. There is 2 separate pieces; 1 for the upper and 1 for the lower. It doesn't separate your jaw awkwardly and it doesn't hurt to bite down for a long periods of time. HOWEVER, I notice (and others I've talked to notice) that you tend to clench less anyway because the mouth guard fits so naturally.

So, if you have good insurance or some extra funds, spend the money and get the mouth guard.

You also get a nice case for it :D

2. SAIPULTURA

SAIPULTURA Soon Enough !!!

thank for sharing man.

3. Cdn_Fight_Fan

Cdn_Fight_Fan Green Belt

4. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

I had a proform made at my dentist and it was great for about two years before wearing out (I grind my teeth when I train). My new dental insurance wouldn't pay for a new one and eventhough I still have my molds out of pocket cost was too much. Now I use a wilson B&B from Walmart for $1- and they fit great.

5. Chalito

Chalito Purple Belt

There are tons of companies that make custom mouthguards. Gladiator is the cheapest i've found and they make good stuff. Custom mouthguards are way better than boil and bites.

6. KLP28

KLP28 White Belt

Gladiator will make you a guard for half off if you have a mold go to Customguards.com - Protect Your Winning Smile find print reorder form fill it out and mail it. custom mouthguard for $25 plus shipping great deal. The pro gladiator will be thicker than a proform

7. Tr0gdor

Tr0gdor White Belt

I'm getting my mouth guard made at the dentist on Thursday. It's only 30 bucks. He also makes the local hockey team their mouth guards.

8. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

I'll definately look into that. The proform was too thin but it was perfect for calming down my gag reflex.

9. Goldbricker

Goldbricker Orange Belt

some mouthguards come with insurance, no?

10. BigCP84**

BigCP84** There are no absolutes!

Shockdoctors package says something about $10,000 coverage and such, I dunno if they will actually cover that though.

11. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

Good luck getting a B&B to pay out on a claim.

12. Zambonipilot

Zambonipilot White Belt

go to your dentist as an educated consumer, there are two kinds of custom mouthguards vacuum formed and heat and pressure laminated. The companies that I see all regularly posting here offer heat and pressure laminated guards, most dentist offer vacuum formed guards. Vacuum formed guards are considered to be vastly inferior to heat and pressure lamination. the name Proform on the area behind the front teeth is a dead give away that it is a vacuum formed guard. Another way to tell is most vacuum form machines use square eva sheet stock, and heat and pressure machines use round. Ask to see the eva he is using or ask him to call his lab and ask if they are using vacuum machine to make the guard. Don't waste your money on a vacuum formed guard.

13. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

To add to that ^^^^ Gladiator said that their forms are made with 5 times the pressure of other companies so my proform may not hold up therefore I would have to pay full price to adjust my supplied mold from basically crumbling.