GET WELL Mikey T. Thread!

get well soon your videos are great

I finished a course in business law last semester and I know for a fact that you are covered by your old plan for certain amount of time in between jobs. exactly how long I dont remember, but i know its a reasonable amount of time. Your old plan should still cover you if you just switched jobs recently

I believe what you are thinking of here is COBRA, and while Goat Meal's old company is obliged to provide access to COBRA if he had health through them while working there, he still has to opt into that and pay for it; it doesn't happen automatically. You do, however, still get your group rate through the company which makes it more manageable price-wise.

Mikey's in a more tough spot but hopefully he will be able to get some government help. The "sticker price" on surgery is insane.

Damn it, that's terrible. Get well soon, brother.

That's a good point about COBRA. Call the number on the info your old job gave you (they should've provided you with COBRA information the day you left).

In most cases, even if you haven't signed the paperwork, if it's been only a couple/few weeks, you still have the option of taking it (in these cases, going to the doctor/hospital and signing the medical agreement for insurance is seen as consent to extend COBRA).

Check with your provider.

Which arm? It's only tragic if it's your jackoff arm.

Speedy recovery dude!

F#ck .... that's really bad news.

Don't let this shit get you down. Get fixed, do the rehab and get back into it when you are ready.

Good luck, mate.

Feel better soon, Mikey.

I think that it's awsome to see how much support the sherdoggers are showing for you. Hope it helps.

That's a good point about COBRA. Call the number on the info your old job gave you (they should've provided you with COBRA information the day you left).

In most cases, even if you haven't signed the paperwork, if it's been only a couple/few weeks, you still have the option of taking it (in these cases, going to the doctor/hospital and signing the medical agreement for insurance is seen as consent to extend COBRA).

Check with your provider.

Not to bore anyone with lawyerly details --

They have to give you a month of insurance after you quit. After that point, they also have to give you the option of COBRA. Now, COBRA is ass-expensive, so you won't want to ever do it except where you have really expensive payments you know you are going to incur in the next month or so.

So first check whether you are still insured under your old insurance. If not, then check whether you can still purchase COBRA, which is a month-by-month expense. It will be worth it if you are getting surgery and such.

Finally, good luck healing Mikey! Although it is very hard luck, at least remember that a broken bone like this usually heals pretty quickly and thoroughly -- better broken bone than broken joint.

Thank you, Zankou (please say that out loud).

My description of it all probably sounded like a retarded kid telling you he wanted an apple.

Not to bore anyone with lawyerly details --

They have to give you a month of insurance after you quit. After that point, they also have to give you the option of COBRA. Now, COBRA is ass-expensive, so you won't want to ever do it except where you have really expensive payments you know you are going to incur in the next month or so.

So first check whether you are still insured under your old insurance. If not, then check whether you can still purchase COBRA, which is a month-by-month expense. It will be worth it if you are getting surgery and such.

Finally, good luck healing Mikey! Although it is very hard luck, at least remember that a broken bone like this usually heals pretty quickly and thoroughly -- better broken bone than broken joint.

i agree completely about the bone to joint thing. i've had minor joint injiuries that were much more painful and annoying than this, and they never healed because i kept training! at least here i'll take a few weeks off and recover fully. it'll give me a chance to catch up on all the new books and dvd's i've been putting off checking out.

and thanks alot for the tournament fundraiser idea bcarr. if medicaid and the financial aid and everything doesn't work as well as i'd hoped that would definitely be a good idea. as for cobra, i think the ny equivelent is madicaid... or is that something seperate entirely? i'm also looking into the judo federation, since i am a member and this happened during a judo class.

also my surgery is scheduled for thursday. i'm getting a m3tal plate screwed into my radius shaft... maybe it'll make my RNC/guillotine nastier

edit- any reason the word m3tal was censored? ****l??/

i agree completely about the bone to joint thing. i've had minor joint injiuries that were much more painful and annoying than this, and they never healed because i kept training! at least here i'll take a few weeks off and recover fully. it'll give me a chance to catch up on all the new books and dvd's i've been putting off checking out.

and thanks alot for the tournament fundraiser idea bcarr. if medicaid and the financial aid and everything doesn't work as well as i'd hoped that would definitely be a good idea. as for cobra, i think the ny equivelent is madicaid... or is that something seperate entirely? i'm also looking into the judo federation, since i am a member and this happened during a judo class.

also my surgery is scheduled for thursday. i'm getting a m3tal plate screwed into my radius shaft... maybe it'll make my RNC/guillotine nastier

edit- any reason the word m3tal was censored? ****l??/

Just to explain a little more, cobra is a program that allows you to keep buying your old health insurance even after you quite or got fired from the job you got the insurance through. So if you quit, you can still keep the same insurance, paying by the month. It costs a LOT though, so most people just pay it until they get a new job with insurance.

It is not remotely the same as medicaid. Medicaid is when you are uninsured, and the state is picking up the tab.

It sounds like your last job may not even have had health insurance, so you are pretty much stuck with medicaid and charity ... bummer.

Also I have no idea why m3tal is censored on this website, but it is. Weird. I think it's the "m3ta" that is actually censored, because the website treats it as sinister code.

Sorry to hear, hope everything works out for the best!

Just to explain a little more, cobra is a program that allows you to keep buying your old health insurance even after you quite or got fired from the job you got the insurance through. So if you quit, you can still keep the same insurance, paying by the month. It costs a LOT though, so most people just pay it until they get a new job with insurance.

It is not remotely the same as medicaid. Medicaid is when you are uninsured, and the state is picking up the tab.

It sounds like your last job may not even have had health insurance, so you are pretty much stuck with medicaid and charity ... bummer.

Also I have no idea why m3tal is censored on this website, but it is. Weird. I think it's the "m3ta" that is actually censored, because the website treats it as sinister code.

ok, i think my insurance was like $800 per month if i wanted to do that. completely absurd imo.

my insurance at my old job should have kicked in just before the time i quit.... but i'm not 100% on that

ok, i think my insurance was like $800 per month if i wanted to do that. completely absurd imo.

my insurance at my old job should have kicked in just before the time i quit.... but i'm not 100% on that

Check. If it did, then you should have gotten like a month of free insurance after you quit.

ok, i got the surgery a couple days ago and the doc said it was a complete success, and my bone is aligned perfectly, so i am finally on the road to healing. 6-10 weeks is the time frame he gave me, but i'm not going to risk rolling hard for a bit longer. i'll probably start teaching a bit and rolling light again in a couple weeks focusing on my left side (something i needed to do anyway).

Good to hear Mickey.

I had a very complicated compound fracture in my left wrist when I was 21 and it healed back to 98%.

Much better than the doc expected.

I believe the most important part in the recovery was believing in a full recovery, taking the requested time off any activity and a good rehab programm.

Good luck

B

get well soon your videos are great

I finished a course in business law last semester and I know for a fact that you are covered by your old plan for certain amount of time in between jobs. exactly how long I dont remember, but i know its a reasonable amount of time. Your old plan should still cover you if you just switched jobs recently

Your old health plan would cover you, if you chose to continue paying for it, it's called COBRA or something. But you'd have to pay for plan entirely--your old employer wouldn't contribute at all.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/KnowYourRights/KnowYourCOBRArights.aspx

Back